Friendship vs Work

IN BETWEEN TWO BOULDERS

SanDara's POV

I yawn stretching my arms as I step down the stairs. I slept late last night trying to finish the two novels I got engross myself with. I wasn’t waiting for the jerk or something, err—why would I? Speaking of the jerk he was gone all night, like I care. The house is so peaceful without him around and I somehow admit it felt lonely, I wonder how he manage to leave all alone in this big house of his.

I fallen asleep with the book resting on my stomach and was waken up by the alarm clock near my bed. I don’t remember setting it on and I knew that was the cue that the jerk is back, waking me up from my peaceful sleep, such a jerk. I massage my throbbing head due to loud alarm clock as I walk my way toward the kitchen.

“Morning”, he greeted me as he munch the pizza he was holding.

I stop by the door frame as I look at him standing beside the table. His white hair turn back into black with the cute side bangs that falls above his eyes and that really looks good on him. He was smiling ears to ears as he look at me.

“Breakfast?” he then offered.

“Err—when did you arrive?” I asked as I walk my way toward the table where the box of pizza was located.

“Late”

 I rolled my eyes after hearing his answer. Yeah right he said he’ll arrive late but that’s not really what I’m asking for, is it? I was about to grab a pizza from the box when he tap my hands off.

“this is mine”, he said, “and that’s yours”, he pointed at the counter.

My eyebrow creased in confusion, he buy us separate pizza? ‘well that’s better’, I was about to celebrate when I caught a sight of a little pizza box on the counter.

“Yah, what’s this?”

“Your breakfast”, he answered.

I look at his enormous box of pizza and my small box pizza. This pizza is for kids , not for an adult like me who got a big appetite.

“you don’t want it?—fine I’ll—“

“No!!!” I took the box before he can get his hands on it, “you already got yours, stay away from mine”, I definitely don’t want to starve.

“Good”, he nods.

And so I started to eat my mini size pizza slice with a grumpy and not satisfied stomach.

“hmmm, this is so yummy~ and so— big”, my eyes  turn into tiny slits as I look at the guy who was enjoying his super big pizza all by himself.

‘is that what he called not being mean?’

 

---

Author’s POV

 

“Dara!” seunghyun called out impatiently as he was pacing back and forth down the stairs. He is wondering what took her so long when he let her off first so she can prepare herself for work.

“Yah, what are you wearing?” he turn around only to found Dara wearing a long sleeve pink blouse with a brown long skirt that reaches her heels, her hair roll on the back of his head as she was wearing her glasses. She was sure all cover up making him chuckle in amusement. He never thought that someone still wear those kind of dress.

Dara on the other hand gasp as he found him wearing a black coat and tie matching his new hairstyle. She tries to hide the amazement she felt as she saw him. She was starting to admit that the guy really looks hot after she got a look at him close up for the 3 times already. And she bites her lower lips trying to hide the smile.

“This is office attire and yours are?”

“Same”, Dara answered confuse as far as she knew she was wearing office attire herself.

“doesn’t look like one. You actually look like a 45 year old teacher to me than an office girl”, Seunghyun commented “are you sure that’s allowed in your office?”

“Yah, you—“

“listen”, she was supposed to fire back when she got cut off by his serious tone and his fierce gaze, “You can go back up there and change, we’ll be both running late if you choose to fight with me, when you know you’ll never gonna win”

“I’m fine with this”, she said as she past him with arms crossed on her chest and cheeks puff out with a cute little pout on her lips. She stop beside the door and waited for him. Seunghyun shook his head in disbelief as he walk her way toward her.

“Are you sure you’re not going to change?” he once again asked.

Her eyes squint as she gave him her final no, she was willing to stay firm in her decision.

“fine then, soothe yourself”, he put his thumb on the sensor and the door click open. He once again turn to her with an evil smile “you’ll regret it”

She started walking behind him lost in thought as she tries to figure out why she would regret wearing her usual clothes. 

“Yah, bunny”, Seunghyun called her and just in time she tilt her head to look at him something hit her forehead and fall down on the ground.

“Aw!!!”, she wimp as she caress her forehead, “what’s that for?” she grumpily asked.

“Got your licence?”

“And so?”

“Then drive—freak”, he enter the passenger sit laughing after he caught her off guard.

Dara look down dumb folded as she saw the car key lying on the ground. ‘aisht!!!’ she chew her lower lips due to irritation as she pick it up and start walking toward the red car where he was happily waiting. He grins at her as she slid in.

“You can handle it in a nicer way”, she told him as she insert the key in the key hole.

“I didn’t know you got slow reflexes”

She look at her reflection on the mirror caressing the red spot on her forehead. She looks like she’s going to grow a third eye any time soon, she pouted. But that’s not her real problem right now, there’s more. She was having a hard time reaching the gas pedal due to her skirt and the guy on her side chuckle as he was watching her struggle.

“I told you you’ll regret it”

“You didn’t told me I was going to drive”

“Just roll it over so you can drive”

“No way!”

“Fine then I hope will move soon”, he said as he start tapping the window beside him.

She roll her eyes and heavy a sigh “fine”, she sigh in defeat since she was really having a hard time “but keep your eyes on yourself”

“Like it’s worth looking”, Seunghyun reply.

She started rolling her skirt up to her knees and Seunghyun smirk in victory; he then diverted his gaze outside after seeing the milky white skin of his companion.

“”, Dara softly mumble that earns a soft chuckle from him.

 

Seunghyun's POV

 

We finally started moving but then her speed was just like a speed of a kid driving a toy car so I begun mocking her and asking her to speed up and that is something I regret right now. My teeth were grinding together as I look at the damage done on my car as we bump into the pole on the street. My fist starts to shake on my side. She is really going to be the dead of me, literally. I wonder how she got herself a licence.

“I’m sorry”, she said biting her lower lips.

“Hand me the key”, I close my eyes trying to calm myself as I open up my palm. She walked slowly to my direction and drops the key on my hand. “I’m never going to let you behind the wheels, again”

“glad, you learn your lesson”, I heard her mumble after she turn on her heels and was about to walk back to the car.

I roll my eyes in annoyance and walk past her “hurry up, I don’t want to be late”

“Hey, where are you going?” she hold onto my coat and I stop to look at her, “your car?”

“Do you think I’m going to ride that one?” my jaw clenched looking at the damage; I’ll be needing new headlights. “I’ll just call someone to pick it up, let’s go?”

We went to the nearest bus stop since cab doesn’t usually pass here. She was all silence watching me in the corner of her eyes and it seems she liked the annoyed sight of me as I saw her lips quirking upward. She had damage 2 of my cars and I got a feeling that she wasn’t really sorry about it.

“I’ll add it on your debt”

“What?!?” the smile on her face vanished as I try to compose my serious face, I won’t let her win over me, definitely not.

“what do you think, I’ll just let it pass”, a bus stop and I took her arm and drag her inside. She stop on the front took her card from her bag and swipe it on the sensor before she can put it back I once again took her hand and swipe it a second time, making her pay for two before walking in toward the far end.

“yah!” she walked grumpily toward me with her nose flaring and I look at her with a raise eyebrow, arm cross on my chest as I sit like a king while trying not to laugh at her sight.

“What?” I asked in a bored tone.

“Why did you do that, use your own card”

“Do I look like I always ride this kind of stuff?” she stops and looks at me like I was from another planet, “I have my CARS, that is why I never ride this thing, I’m fortunate unlike you”

And she just stuck out her tongue on me, how childish.

I press the buzzer on the side as I saw my stop, I immediately stood up but then I notice her not moving from her sit. “kaja”

“It’s not my stop yet, you go ahead”, she answered and just shifted on her seat.

“hey, you supposed to bring me to my work. Are you going to leave your master just like that?” and so I drag her down.

We took a cab after that and she keeps on looking at me with her squinted eyes all throughout the journey. “it’s like you’re the only one going to be late”, she lowly mumble before turning away.

“Your working with the Parks?” she asked as the cab stop infront of the Park's company. Today was actually my first day working with them.

“Yes, why?” I asked as I can see her eyebrow once again was connecting with one another.

“It’s really hard to believe your working in an office”, she then said looking away.

“And where do you think I work?” I asked confused but instead of hearing her reply a small smile just form on her lips as she look out on the other side of the window.

“I’ll just call you later”, I told her as I step out.

“Don’t bother”, she replies and she shut the door beside her.

Aisht, I’m going to deal with her later but or now, I’ll deal with my mission.

---

SanDara’s POV

“Hey”, I look up and found Minho standing in front of my desk.

“What are you doing here?” I asked since I don’t expect to see him here. I already lied to him about me staying in a friend’s house during our phone conversation and I felt like his having his own suspicion about it.

“ta—da!” he lay down a bag on my desk smiling at me, “I bought your favourite”

“eh?” I look inside the bag and find a lunchbox, “ddokbokki?”

“neh, so wanna eat lunch with me?”

I smile, so his planning to feed me first before frying me, what a good tactic. I was about to say yes when my phone beep, I growl as I took it.

 

---

 

“err—I can’t, I need to go”, she then said after reading her message and she started fixing up her things. Minho watches her confuse as she seem to be in a hurry.

“Hey, where are you going?” he asked her

“work—mian, I’ll make it up to you”, and she ran away.

Minho wasn’t sure if she was just trying to avoid him since he got tons of questions for her. He need explanation of her sudden disappearance that almost drive him insane, he can’t just let her go that easily.  He as well turn around and decided to follow her.

Dara was standing beside a Chinese restaurant holding the food she takes out for the jerk, as she waits for a cab. She actually asked herself why she needs to buy the jerk his lunch when he can actually call the restaurant to deliver it to him. He was sure abusing his power over her but she got no choice but to comply even though it was against her will. She looks at her clock worriedly as she needs to get to him on time.

A car stop in front of her, the window roll down revealing Minho in the driver side.

“Get in”

“but—“

“Aren’t you in a hurry?”

She sigh and reach out to open up the door, she slid in silently and gave him a slight nod. Minho keeps his mouth shut waiting for her to talk first but she seems nervous or something as she was fiddling with her fingers and was always avoiding his gaze.

“Where to?” he then asked.

“park’s com—“,  she bite her lips almost slipping.

“your going to your dad?”

“Ani, I’m going to a place near there. Just get me there”

“arraseo”, he said dropping the subject as he can feel that she’s not willing to tell her anything.

He parked the car in front of the building and went out to open her door.

“You don’t have to”, she said shyly as he assist her out.

“I insist”, he told her smiling.

“Thanks for the ride. I’ll be alright from here”, she told her as she was waiting for him to go back to his car but instead he gave the key to the parker that went near them and just smile at her.

“You’re not planning on following me right?” ans she started to step back

 

“Yah! Little bunny”, someone called from behind and Dara eyes widen in horror as chill run on her spine she slowly turn around to face the jerk, “You bring my lunch?”

“Here”, she raises the bag she was holding and was silently signalling him to go but he just ignores it.

“Good”, he patted her head while grinning aware of the other guy he grab her wrist, “now, let’s have lunch”

He was about to pull her with him but Minho stops him taking her other wrist, he turn around to face the other guy. Dara’s eyes turn back and forth between Minho and Seunghyun as their eyes start to battle.

She cleared and the two look at her with their eyebrows connecting. She was about to ask them if she could have her hands back but then she only open and close it again, thinking it will be much better to shut it.

“tss”, Seunghyun look away shaking his head.

“Little bunny?” Minho looks at her question.

Her eyes narrow on Seunghyun who gave her a ‘what did I do?’ look before she face Minho

“why is he calling you that and why is he ordering you around?”

Seunghyun rolled his eyes and before Dara could formulate an answer he spoke.

“is he your boyfriend?” he asked her.

“wha—what???”, Dara was taken aback on his question making her stutter in her own words as her cheeks redden “ani”

“Is that so?” he looks at the guy, “then let’s go”

“yah!”, she gasped as she once again was being pulled by the two

Minho grabs his hand on her trying to take it away.

 “Let her go”

 Seunghyun look at his hand and then glare at Minho.

“Who do you think you are—to her”

Minho grip loosen as he was frozen in his spot, he look at the guy who was throwing daggers on him. ‘who am I to her?’ he started to question himself, he wasn’t really sure and that makes him speechless.

“Uncertain, are you?” Seunghyun smirks.

“Yah! He is my friend”, Dara interfere trying to block the deathly glares the two are throwing to one another. Seunghyun look at her as she was trying to fight back for her friend.

“so he is your friend”, he look at the guy with a mocking smile and his face turn serious as he face Dara “and you know exactly who am I, don’t you?” he told her implying that he was his boss, “now, shall we?”

Dara turn silent for the second time around.

“she’ll eat with me”, Minho said not letting her go, he can't just let him order Dara around.

Seunghyun let go of an irritated chuckle seeing how persistent the guy is.

“Bunny, I don’t like wasting my time”, there was a warning in his tone.

“err—can I just—“

“NO!!!!” the two answered before she can finish her sentence.

“Just eat with me, you don’t have to worry about him”, Minho said softly then look over her shoulders.

She was definitely torn not knowing who to choose, her boss or her friend. Minho is her friend but then she was working and every wrong action of her sure will get her in trouble. She closes her eyes trying to weigh everything, friendship vs work?

‘How could eating lunch be this hard’, she sigh.

 


~o0o~