Chapter Eight

Love Between Us

 

 

Jiaheng bites his lips as he stares at his hand phone. He had just got back his result today and he was shocked when he saw his result. He passed his exam in flying color. Never had he thought that he would be able to do it. He only wanted to pass his exam, that’s all. This all thanks to Suho for tutoring him and he wanted to call the guy to thank him, but somehow he had gotten nervous about it.

He yelped when his hand phone suddenly vibrated on his palm. He even almost dropped it because of the shock. He rubbed his chest to calm down his racing heart before he checks who’s the person calling him. Much again to his shock, it is Suho!

He took a deep breath before he slid the green button.

“H-hello.”

Oh, god, why he couldn’t never stop stuttering whenever he’s talking with Suho?

“Hi, how are you?”

“I’m fine. Thanks for asking. So why did you call?”

“Do I need a reason to call you?’

“N-No!”

Jiaheng quickly covered his mouth when he realized his outburst. He mentally scolded himself for that. What a very good way to destroy his image at Suho’s eyes. Now, Suho’s definitely going to think badly of him.

“Well, you were kind of right. I did call because of reasons. I want to know how is your result.”

Jiaheng furrowed his eyebrows because so far he recalled he never told anyone including Yifan that his result comes out today because he wanted to give them surprise if he did well in his exam.

“How did you know that my result came out today?” He straight away asked rather than filling in his mind with questions.

Suho lets out a small chuckle, “Have you forgotten that my uncle is your principal and I asked him about it.”

Damn, how could I forgot about that? His uncle was the sole reason why he was my tutor.

“I was planning to call you about that too, but somehow you cut me first.”

“So how was it?”

Jiaheng’s lips then curled into a smile, “I passed with flying colors.”

“Seriously?” Suho asked in disbelief.

“You don’t believe me? Am I that useless?” Jiaheng purposely masked his voice in sad tone.

“Of course I believe you! I was just shocked, that’s it.” Suho quickly explained after he heard the sad tone underneath Jiaheng’s voice. He didn’t mean to offend Jiaheng with his question.

Jiaheng couldn’t stop himself from laughing upon hearing that. He never thought Suho would fall easily into his trick. He purposely said that just to tease Suho a little.

“I was only teasing you~~” Jiaheng said with sing-song voice.

“You’re very lucky that you’re not in front of me right now. If not…”

“What are you going to do about it?” Jiaheng challenged. He doesn’t know what is happening to him. How did he get such courage to tease when he’s always so shy and quiet whenever he was around Suho?

“Oh, I’ll...”

Suho’s words were cutted off by a knocking sound.

“Please hold the line. I think it is my brother.”

“Gē, are you inside?” Yifan yelled.

“Yes, I’m.” Jiaheng yelled back.

“I’m going to the market to buy ingredients for our dinner. Do you want anything?”

“There’s no need for that because we’re going to eat outside tonight.”

“Why would we want to waste our money by eating outside?”

Jiaheng rolled his eyes. Here comes my frugal brother.

“It is my treat, okay? So stop complaining and not even one sarcasm comes out from your mouth.”

Jiaheng chuckled at little when he heard his brother called him a jerk before he heard his steps leaving the room. Only him knew his brother’s true character. His brother was only shy towards strangers, however, once you get know him, he is a very savage person and his favorite victim was none other than him.

“You should laugh more often instead of scowling all the time.”

Jiaheng mentally cursed when he realize that he had forgotten that he had out Suho on hold.

“I didn’t scowl all the time. My face was born like this!”

Jiaheng couldn’t deny that he was a bit disappointed that Suho was thinking that he is scowling all the time. It’s not that he didn’t want to smile, but it was because of Suho that makes him unable to smile.

“You take my joke too seriously. I was only joking as a payback for teasing me just now.”

Jiaheng pouted a little, “Jerk.”

Suho chuckled upon hearing that, “You’re the one who started ot first. So, where are you going to eat tonight?”

“I don’t know yet. I’ll let my brother decide since he’s always been there for me and constantly gives his support to me which is the reason why I want to treat him tonight as my gratitude for him.”

“You’re a nice and kind brother.”

Jiaheng’s cheek turned slightly pink upon hearing that.

“Urmm...I suddenly remembered I have something to do. Let us continue this conversation at another time.”

Jiaheng suddenly felt awkward. He doesn’t know how to continue this conversation anymore. He was about to end the call when Suho’s soft voice stop him.

“Wait a minute. I actually had another reason why I called you.”

“Okay. So, what is the that ‘another’ reason?”

“Since your exam had finished, I was wondering if you want go out with me tomorrow. We can go watch movie and have dinner together.”

Oh my god! Oh my god! Is he asking me out for a date? Jiaheng panicky thought. It was too sudden! He had never expected that Suho would ask him out in the first place.

“It is okay. You must be busy tomorrow. We can go out at another time.”

Wu Jiaheng, say something fast before he misunderstood that you don’t want to go out with him.

“Are you asking me out for a date?”

Oh god! Are you really that stupid, Wu Jiaheng? Why do you have to ask that question? Now, he is going to think that I’m that desperate.

“I was just joking. You don’t have to take it seriously.”

“Was I that obvious?” Suho suddenly said out of blue and Jiaheng almost dropped his handphone because he wasn’t sure if he heard him right.

“What did you said just now?”

“ Was that I obvious because I’m indeed asking you out for a date.”

“Is this some kind of sick joke or something?” Jiaheng began, raising one eyebrows. “Because if it it, I swear I’m going…”

“No, it not!” Suho interrupt. “I had been planning asking you for ages, but I didn’t get the chance to do so because you were quite busy with exam so I didn’t want to bother you.”

I must be dreaming. There is no way that this is happening. Jiaheng thought before he pinched himself. He yelped in pain because of that.

“What is wrong?”

“I accidentally stumbled my toe.”

“Please be more careful. Don’t make me worry about you, okay?”

“O-okay…”

“Urmm...so what is your answer?”

Jiaheng tugged his shirt while biting his lips nervously, “Y-yes…”

“Thank you….thank you. I’ll come pick you up tomorrow around 7 p.m.”

Jiaheng couldn’t stop himself from smiling when he detected the excitement underneath Suho’s tone.

“Okay.”

“Then I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Jiaheng jumped up and down on his bed in excitement after the call ended. He couldn’t believe that Suho a.k.a. his crush had just asked him out for a date. This is just a dream come true. However…

“Ahh!!!”

A loud thud can be heard after that.

 


 

Jiaheng limply walks towards Suho’s car. Because of his fall from the bed being too excited, he ended up with a sprained ankle. He even had to lied Yifan by telling him that he was just too excited with his result. Although Yifan was happy with his result, it still didn’t help him escape from Yifan’s wrath. He got two hours of lecturing from his sassy twin.  

Not only that, they had to cancel their dinner and ended up munching take-outs from the restaurant that was few just a block away from their apartment. Oh, Yifan’s nagging didn’t end there. It kept going on for the whole night until he got frustrated that he had lied to his twin again that he was tired so he could escaped from Yifan and had forgotten about the date until this morning when he received a message from Suho that he will come pick him up around 7 p.m.

At first, he’s planning to postpone it to another date, but he decided to be against that idea because he had been waiting for this quite a long time and he may not get such opportunity again. Who knows maybe in their so called “date” Suho would…

His face suddenly turned red when the thought of Suho .

“Is there something wrong? Why are you still standing there?”

He must be too caught up with his thoughts until he didn’t realize that he had reached Suho’s car.

“Nothing is wrong. I was just thinking about something just now.”

Jiaheng quickly climbed onto the passenger seat with a bit difficulty. Lucky for him, Suho seemed to didn’t realized that.  He then smiled shyly at Suho. Suho is indeed a very handsome man. He was dressed nicely tonight with a dark blue long sleeve shirt and a pair of dark jeans. The shy smile on Suho’s lips makes Jiaheng’s heart beat wildly inside his chest.

“Shall we go now?” Suho broke the silence.

“Yeah, sure!” Jiaheng replied awkwardly.

Suho didn’t voiced out any comments on that. He just flashed his angelic smile at Jiaheng before he start the engine and drives off from there.

The drive to the restaurant was less awkward and short than Jiaheng imagined. They talked without any eye contact since Suho’s eyes were focused on streets and the song from the Red Velvet band (He may have gone searchin’ about it to know more about Suho) coming from the car’s music player filling their lack of words.

The restaurant Suho chose wasn’t too fancy, yet it wasn’t too simple. They ate while talking about their daily lives, hobby and others trivial matters which makes Jiaheng discover more about his crush.

The air around them was light except that Jiaheng kind of anticipate for to Suho confess to him throughout the dinner. He was quite disappointed when none of that had happen and they even had finished their dinner. Looks like he was hoping too much after all.

“So” Suho began when they left the restaurant. “Do you want to have a walk at the nearby park?”

Jiaheng wanted to say no because he didn’t want Suho to discover his injury, but his words got stuck on his tongue when Suho stared at him anticipatingly which makes him feel bad to reject him.

“Fine with me.” He replied with a small smile on his lips. He could only hope that he can hold the pain for tonight.

“Let us go.”

Suho then grabbed Jiaheng’s hand which made Jiaheng shocked, but he didn’t made any effort to pull his hand away. He couldn’t stop himself from blushing when Suho suddenly laced their fingers together. It was kind of feel nice to hold hands with Suho who has a very soft skin.

The park was quite nice. There are still few people in the park since it wasn’t quite dark. Jiaheng felt a bit of envy at the couple that were sitting on the bench with the woman’s head on the man’s shoulder. He wondered would he ever get this kind of moment with Suho.

“Jiaheng?”

He quickly snapped out from thought. It seemed like this is his new favourite thing to do, losing in his deep thoughts. He was about to say something when the pain coming from his ankle hits him. He couldn’t stop himself from groaning in pain.

“What’s wrong?’ Suho asked worriedly.

“M-my ankle….it hurts.”

“Let us go sit on that bench.”

Jiaheng could only nod his head out of pain. He let Suho dragged him to a nearby bench.

“Which ankle that hurts?”

“Left.”

Jiaheng yelped when Suho suddenly grabbed his long leg and took off his shoe. His face turned into deep red due to Suho’s fingers touching his ankle.

“It had swollen. When did this happen?” Suho asked as he messaged Jiaheng’s ankle. His heart ached a bit when he saw the pained expression on Jiaheng’s face. He was glad that he studied medicine because he could apply his study to ease Jiaheng’s pain.

“Y-yesterday. I slip in the bathroom.” Jiaheng lied. There is no freaking way he was going to confess the truth and embarrassed himself further.

“Why didn’t you say so? We could postponed tonight’s dinner to another day so that you could rest at home.”

“What? No!I had been waiting for this date to happen for ages!”

Jiaheng quickly covered his mouth using both of his hands when he realize his ‘little’ mistake. He cursed himself for blurting it out. What is Suho going to think about him now?

Suho puts down Jiaheng’s leg. He then scoot closer to Jiaheng. He pulled Jiaheng’s hand from his mouth.

And then, their lips met.

Suho pulled away and he couldn’t stop himself from smiling as he saw the disbelief on Jiaheng’s expression.

Cute. He thought.

“Jiaheng, would you like to be my boyfriend?” He finally asked the question that he was planning to ask for the whole night.

“This isn’t a dream, is it?” Jiaheng asked hesitantly.

Suho chuckled, “No, it is not. I was planning to confess during dinner, but I was too nervous to do so.  In this three months, I found that I liked you quite a lot and I want to bring our relationship to the next level. Not only that, you were acting quite cute just now and I just couldn’t contain myself anymore.” Suho then squeezed Jiaheng’s hand gently, “So your answer will be…”

“Yes! I mean yes and I really like you too,” he sounded very eager that inwardly he wanted to curse but with Suho cooing at his cuteness, he realizes he doesn't mind looking idiot at all.

Then Suho closed the gap between their lips, kissing Jiaheng softly.


Author's note: Two more chapter to go before we going back to the present.

P.s Prepare yourself. There may be in the next chapter.