Chapter Eighteen

Love Between Us

Yifan was quite happy that his baby is healthy again, but that doesn’t mean he’s currently enjoys chasing Sehun around the mall. After Sehun almost got lost in the mall, Yifan makes sure that his baby stays beside him all the times, but as usual the kid was being stubborn and wants to choose the perfect gift for Tao by his own. (Yet, this brat still uses his money to pay for it.)

A week after Sehun cured from his sickness, he got Tao’s birthday party invitation from Yixing. Since Suho’s birthday fall in the same month, Yixing decided to celebrate it together.

To be honest, he was a bit hesitant to attend the party since Suho is going to be there. He’s purposely making himself busy by taking care of Sehun so that he can forget about Suho’s words in the clinic two weeks ago.

Now that Sehun is well again, he had the time to think about it and he reluctantly had to admit that Suho was right. He shouldn’t put Yixing and his family in the middle of them simply because of his hatred towards Suho for breaking his brother’s heart. Thus, it made him unable to face Suho for the time being until he had sort his dilemma about his hatred towards the man.

However, he wasn’t able to think of any valid excuses for not attending the party. As the fact that he also doesn’t want to disappoint his son who is very eager to attend his best friend’s birthday party, he kinda just let the situation turn into something.

In other words, damned be all.

He snaps out from his thoughts when he felt Sehun trying to pull his hand from his grip.

“Sehunnie, stop it.”

“Mama~~” Yifan sushes but Sehun starts whining and stomping his feet on the ground.

“Wu Sehun.” Yifan said in gentle, yet stern voice. It did bring effect to Sehun as the boy immediately stops his tantrums.

“Why do you keep on trying to pull away from me?” Yifan asks.

“Sehunnie want to go to that toy store. Sehunnie finally remember that Taotao loves panda so Sehunnie wants to buy panda doll this big…” Sehun even uses his arms to emphasize how big the doll he wants to buy for his best friend.

Yifan chuckles seeing his baby’s cute act.

“You should have told me so that we can go together instead of you trying to pull away from me. I don’t want the repeat of that incident where you almost got lost.”

“Sehunnie is sorry, Mama.”

Yifan runs his hand thru Sehun’s black hair, “I forgive you. Let’s go inside now and search for the panda doll that you wanted to give to Tao.”

They barely made through the entrance when Sehun quickly pulled his hand from his mama’s grip before running around the shop to search his perfect gift. Yifan shakes his head. He decided to wait by the cashier counter because he is a bit tired to chase his son.

“Can I help you, sir?” A female cashier asks.

“Oh… I’m just waiting for my son to search his birthday gift for his best friend.”

“I see. Well, if you need help, I’m here to assist you anytime.”

“Thank you, miss.”

“You’re welcome.”

The girl’s about to speak once more when Sehun’s deafening“Mama!!” pierced the silent atmosphere.

A small sigh escapes from Yifan’s lips, “Looks like my son is calling for me. Without a doubt, he must be needing my help.”

The female cashier chuckled, “I understand, sir.”

Yifan then heads towards where Sehun is. His eyes comically widens as he saw the panda doll that his baby was hugging right now. Sehun indeed follows his words when he said he wanted to give a big doll to Tao. The panda doll is quite big, its height is almost the same as Sehun’s.

“Mama! Sehunnie find the perfect gift to Tao!” Sehun excitedly wiggles the giant stuffed toy.

“It is quite big, baby. How are we going to carry it to our car? I’m not that strong enough to carry the doll.” Yifan decided to tease his baby a little.

“But… Mama… Sehunnie really want to give this doll to Taozi. He’ll love it. We can ask the workers to carry this for us.” Sehun trembles with his lips jutted out a little.

And of course, Yifan is too weak for the child’s sadness. “Okay. Let me pay for the doll and ask them to wrap the doll for us. Then we’ll go to eat and after that, we can go home immediately.”

Yifan was about to walk back to the cashier counter when Sehun stops him by tugging his pants.

“What is wrong, baby?”

“Mama, we still haven’t buy Uncle Suho’s gift.”

What? Why does my baby want to buy gift for that gremlin?

“You want to buy gift for that grem… for Uncle Suho?”

“Yes. Because it is his birthday too. It is not fair for Sehunnie not buying to Uncle Suho when Sehunnie had brought gift to Tao. And Sehunnie like Uncle Suho quite a lot.”

Yifan feels like his world comes crashing down as he hears those words coming out from his precious baby’s lips. The most inevitable thing that he’s scared of finally comes true.

“Y-you like Uncle Suho?”

Sehun nodded his head, “Uncle Suho is so kind and a nice doctor. He treated Sehunnie very well when Sehunnie was sick.”

“Doctor Lee also treated you very well, yet you never buy gift for him.”

“That’s two different things, mama. Doctor Lee and Uncle Suho are two different person.” Sehun reprimanded his Mama.

If it was given another situation, Yifan would have squeak because his baby looks so freaking adorable when he was being so serious. He’s still unable to believe that his baby had taken a liking towards Suho when he already suffers a hard time just thinking how to act civil around that man.

“You really like Uncle Suho that much? And wanted to buy gift for him?”

“Yes, mama. Can we? Pretty please?” Sehun pleaded, showing his puppy eyes to his mama and Yifan doesn’t has guts to say no to that.

In the end, Yifan defeatedly sighs, “Fine, we’ll buy gift for Uncle Suho. However, not here. Toys aren’t suitable gifts for adult.”

“Aww… that’s too bad.”

“We’ll gonna eat first, then we’ll look fir the perfect gift for Uncle Suho.”

“Okay!”

Yifan’s lips manages to curl into a small smile, seeing his baby’s excited expression despite the fact he still hates that Suho for managing to capture his baby’s heart and now he has to suffer hours in the shopping mall just to search for the perfect gift for that man.

 


 

“Mama, can Sehunnie help you bake the cake for Tao? Tao must be very happy if Sehunnie told him that Sehunnie had baked cake for him.” said the little man as he twirls his little fingers with a piece of sugar flower.

Why does Yifan had to bake the cake when Yixing surely had book a cake for the birthday party? The answer is simple. The baker that was in charge of the baking had broken his arm two days prior to the party and the younger almost had panic attacks because of it and the time constraint to search a new bakery shop to take the order.

He still can remember Yixing’s frantic cry on the phone saying that everything is ruined, how Tao is going to cry because there is no cake for him this year while Luhan’s trying his best to calm his husband down which clearly didn’t work as he heard Yixing yelled at Luhan in the background for being an insensitive jerk.

In order to save the situation and also Yixing’s sanity, Yifan offered his help since he had been taking bakery class during high school and college as it has been part of his hobbies.

At first, Yixing was reluctant to take his offer because he didn’t want to trouble Yifan, but Yifan managed to convince him saying that it wasn’t much of a trouble to him and the younger had to accept it since he was left with no choice.

Yifan wipes his hands on his apron before kneeling down with an amused smile on his lips. “I’m sorry, but I can’t let you help me baked the cake. Go take bath and change your pajamas. We will head to Tao’s house after this.”

“No! Sehunnie hates mama!!”

Sehun stomps his feet on the ground. He then pouts as he turns his head away. He is angry at his mama for not allowing him to bake the cake. He only wants to impress his best friend since it is Tao’s birthday today but his Mama clearly doesn’t want him to make Tao happy.

Yifan tries to withhold his smile. His baby is still adorable even when he’s angry at him.

“Please don’t be angry at me anymore. I just didn’t want you to get hurt later.”

“Hmpp…”

“Fine, I’ll lie to Tao that you had help making the cake.” Yifan said. He hoped that his method will work since he didn’t want Sehun to be mad at him anymore.

Sehun quickly turns his head. “Really?”

“Anything for you, my precious baby.”

“Thank you, Mama! Sehunnie love mama so much.”

“I thought you hated me just now.”

“Not anymore.” said the cheeky grinning brat as he planted a wet kiss on Yifan’s cheeks making Yifan smile even more at the cute gesture.

“Go get ready while I bake the cake for your precious Taozi and Uncle Suho.”

“Yes!”

Sehun then runs out from the kitchen. Yifan sighs after he watching the child. He had told Sehun many times that he shouldn’t run inside the house, fearing that he will get hurt later. However, Sehun is just his Gē. Both of them are equally stubborn. Yifan would only waste his energy scolding Sehun, thus, he decides to leave it be for today as he had much important things to do like baking the two cakes for the party.

 


 

“Zhang Yixing! Didn’t I tell you to wait at the living room with Tao and let Suho and I prepare the table and the decorations? Why do you have to be so stubborn?”

“Did you just raised your voice to me?” Yixing timidly asks back.

“I wasn’t…”

Luhan stops his words halfway when he heard a sob escaping from Yixing’s lips. He’s not planning to make his husband cry. As usual he’s being protective of the younger and he doesn’t want Yixing getting tired for doing the chores when he have Suho to help him. He sighs and pulls Yixing into his embrace.

“I’m so sorry, Baobei. I didn’t mean to raise my voice. I’m only worried about you.” Luhan coos.

“I only want to help.” Yixing then hits his husband’s chest.

“I know and I appreciate it. Just let Suho and I prepare the table and the decorations while you wait us at the living room.” said Luhan. He then wipes Yixing’s tears using his thumb. “Now, stop crying and show the smile that I love.”

“Can you stop being so lovey dovey while I’m still here?”

Yixing blushed and buried his head inside Luhan’s chest. Luhan glared at his so-called best friend for interrupting his moment with his husband. Suho shrugs since he’s already used to Luhan’s glare and continues his job.

“Xing, how many people did you invite to Taozi’s birthday party?”

“Yifan-ge, Sehunnie, Taozi’s classmates and their parents”

“Yifan will be coming too?”

“Yes. Not only that, he even…”

The doorbell rings, cutting off Yixing’s words.

“It could be our guest. I’ll go open the door.” Yixing said. However, before he can go open the door, Luhan stop him.

“Let Suho go open it. You just sit on the sofa and relax.”

“What?”

“Didn't you heard me? Go open the door now. It is impolite to let your guest waiting.”

“Fine.”

Suho send a glare towards Luhan, but Luhan ignores him. He then walks toward the door, even grumbling a little when the doorbell rings for the second time.

“Can you be…”

Suho halted his ranting when he recognizes the person that’s standing in front of him. It was Yifan who was holding two rectangular boxes while Sehun quickly runs inside the house, clearly rushing to see his best friend.

Yifan sighs upon seeing Sehun’s impatient behaviour. He then turns to face Suho.

“What is taking you so long?”

“I’m sorry?”

Yifan shakes his head then handed the two box to Suho, “Now go take these cakes inside. I need to bring Tao’s gift. It’s a huge panda doll.”

“Excuse me?”

“Move along now. One of the cake is yours.”

Why people keeps on ordering me today? Suho thought as he brings the cake to the dining room. He clears his throat as he comes face to face with his two best friends kissing each other.

“Now, I know why you’ve asked me to go open the door.” Suho scolded Luhan who even had the decency to have a smug expression on his face.

At least Yixing was embarrassed by the situation judging by his red face.

“Oh my god. This doll is so heavy. . . Am I interrupting something?” Yifan asked when he senses there is something wrong with the atmosphere.

“No, you weren’t. Ge, you really don’t have to buy such a big doll for Taozi when you already baked the cakes for this birthday party.”

“It is not like I had a choice. This doll is chosen by Sehun and I couldn’t say no to that.”

“I can totally relate to that. My son’s sometimes like that too.”

“Umm… Thank you, Yifan-ssi. I didn’t know that you can bake cake.” Suho said.

“You’re welcome. Although I must say, the cake may not be as good as the cake made by the professional baker. It has been quite a long time since I bake a cake. I’m a bit scared that my skills may have gone rusty.”

“We’ll be the judge for that. Right, guys?” Suho replies while offering a smile to Yifan, not knowing his smile brings a huge effect to Yifan.

“Xing, can you show me Tao’s room? I personally want to give this doll to him.” Yifan wanted an escape from there so he used the doll as an excuse for it.

“Okay, please follow me.”


Suho washes his face before taking the towel to wipe the remaining water from his face. This party is getting too overwhelming by the guests which some even dared to flirt with him. Since he didn’t know how to deal with it and Luhan was too busy entertaining their guests, he quickly escapes to the washroom for some alone time.

Thinking he’s taking too long by the room, Suho steps out from the washroom and he almost bumps into Yifan.

“Here you are. I was looking for you.”

“You’re looking for me?” Suho points a finger at himself while staring at Yifan in disbelief.

“Yes. I need to give your present.” Yifan answered as he hands a small blue velvet box to Suho.

To say Suho is surprised is an understatement as he never thought of Yifan actually buying and giving him a gift since he thought that Yifan still hated him as the latter ignores him for whole day.

“Youㅡ giftㅡ I mean. . .” Yifan watches the other becoming even more flustered while having difficulties in creating a sentence, “You’re giving me a gift?”

Yifan rolls his eyes, “Why are you asking so many questions? If you really wanted to know why, it is because my son had taken a liking of you, so he insisted to brought gift for you.”

“Ohh…” He tries to mask his disappointment in his tone as he nods back, “So it is because of Sehun. . . not because you’ve wanted to buy gift for me.”

“Hey, I heard your mumbling” Yifan couldn’t take the poor man’s dissatisfactionㅡlike what should this gremlin be expecting?ㅡ so he shoves the box from the Suho’s limp hands he’d snatched and forcefully envelopes it with the other, “I’m the one who chooses and pay for it. Stop complaining and just take it.”

Suho, albeit missing the other’s forceful but warm touch, take the box. He then opens it, and a tie pin with a small diamond on it was revealed.

“I didn’t know what to buy as your present while Sehun keeps on suggesting we should have buy toys instead. . .but then I remembered you wearing ties to work, so I was thinking maybe I should buy that tie pin for you as a gift.”

“Yifan-ssi…”

“What?”

“You’re rambling right now.” Suho pointed out as he amusingly watches the other being too defensive.

“Ohh. . .” Yifan unintelligently replies as he rubs his neck awkwardly. “Sorry about that.”

“Cute.”

“Huh?”

“I meant your son.”

“Oh…” Yifan almost curses himself for being flustered this easy, “My son is indeed is a very cute kid, but he’s still a brat.”

“Still I need to thank you and Sehun for the gift. I do like it.” Suho replies before offering his smile of gratitude to Yifan.

“Y-you’re welcome.”

“Yifan-ge! Suho-ge!”

Both of them turned their heads and saw Yixing running towards them with panic expression all over his face.

“What is wrong, Xing? Why are you looking so panicked?”

“It’s Sehunㅡ He fell from the tree!”


Author's note: I'm  an evil author who loves clifhanger. See you next week. Muahaha.