Chapter Twenty Two

Love Between Us

Sehun’s pencil is starting to create a dent on his cheeks as he lies on his tummy on the bed. He’s too focused taking notes that he had momentarily forgotten his best friend on the other line that he’s dragged into the deep conversation. He has been stressing on the thought for a whole week and he’s serious on taking every measures to make his wish of getting a baby sister come true.

“Taozi, you need to help Sehunnie.” Sehun pleads as his legs swings back and forth alternately.

“Are you really sure, Hunnie-ah?”

“Of course.” The little boy fisted his hands in the air with determination, as if the other one on the line can see him.

“If that’s the case, how about you have sleepover at Tao’s house tomorrow since it is Saturday?” Sehun sits up immediately upon Tao’s suggestion, “Tao’s sure mama will not mind it. After that Tao can ask Uncle Suho to bring us out.”

“That’s a great idea, Taotao!” Sehun now literally jumps on the bed wildly as he can already imagine his plans on action when Yifan calls for him, alerting the boy of his mom’s presence. “Sehunnie will just ask mama later.”

“Sehunnie! Dinner is ready!”

Sehun shouted back in response, avoiding suspicions rising from Yifan before turning back to the phone.

“Sehunnie needs to hang up now. Mama is calling Sehunnie for dinner and Sehunnie will take this chance to tell Mama that we’re going to have sleepover tomorrow.”

“Okay, Tao couldn’t wait to have sleepover with Hunnie. We’re going to have a lot of fun tomorrow.” Tao giggles excited to which little Sehun only wanted to hear for the whole night if not only his impatient mother screeching down the halls.

“Yes, we will. Mama’s calling now so bye-bye, Tao.”

“Bye-bye, Hunnie.”

Sehun puts back his phone on his bedside table then hides his confidential notebook under the bed before jumping down, running out from his room. A delicious smell coming from the dining room made him run faster as a rumbling sound came out from his stomach. He’s excited to dig in if Yifan’s not waiting with his frown, both hands situated by the hips.

“Sehun, what did I tell you about running inside the house?” Yifan reprimands to which Sehun smiles sheepishly.

“Sorry, Mama. Sehunnie is too hungry.” Sehun cheekily replies while grinning at his mama.

Yifan shakes his head. He then sits down on the chair while Sehun takes the seat in front of him.

“Then you should have come immediately after I called you for dinner.” Yifan said as he scoops the rice into his and Sehun’s bowls before placing each on the table.

“Sehunnie was talking with Tao. Mama, can Sehunnie have sleepover tomorrow at Tao’s house?” Sehun innocently asks, completely hiding his interior motives to which Yifan, of course, raises brows on.

“Sleepover? Does it have be tomorrow? Uncle Yixing told me that Uncle Luhan is outstation for two days and I don’t want you to give burden to Uncle Yixing.” Yifan places few vegetables on Sehun and saw his baby frowning upon seeing the vegetables, “Eat your vegetables, baby.”

Sehun whines but he has much more urgent thing to say than his hatred towards vegetables. “But...mama...Tao said Uncle Yixing wouldn’t mind it and we already planning to do something fun tomorrow. Pretty please, mama?” Sehun pleads, doing the look he knows  his Mama can’t resist.

A dejected sigh then escapes from Yifan’s lips, “Okay, fine. I’ll ask Uncle Yixing first.” Yifan swears can see lights glowing on his baby’s eyes, “If he says okay, then I don’t have any objection for the sleepover.”

“Thank you, Mama.”

“Now eat your dinner. Didn’t you say you weren’t hungry just now?”

“Mama, do Sehunnie has to eat all the vegetables?”

Sehun tries the look he did, thinking Yifan would let it slide to which Yifan only adds more on his plate. The boy almost whines if not for Yifan’s warning glare stopping him. “Yes, you do if you want to grow up healthy.”

Sehun pouts a little. He hates to eat any kind of vegetables because they’re bitter, but he wants to grow up strong and healthy so that he can protect his best friend, his mama and also his future baby sister if his plan worked out well.

 


 

Yifan parks his car by the yard. He climbs down from the car while Sehun jumps down excitedly. He scolds Sehun as it was quite dangerous and he didn’t want his baby get hurt again, but the cheeky brat only apologizes ‘Sorry, Mama’ without even looking before running off to the porch.

He grumbles as he takes out his son’s small bag from the car along with the new Rilakkuma doll that Suho gave during Sehun’s stay at the hospital which only angered him more.

This brat! He is going to get it later on!

“Mama, can’t you walk faster?”

Yifan was about to scold Sehun again, but his words was cut off when the door suddenly open with a smiling Yixing warmly greeting the pair.

“Ahh… Yifan-ge, you’re finally here.”

Yifan taps his shoes as he steps into the porch.“I’m sorry for giving you troubles for having my bratty son tonight. I couldn’t understand why Sehun insisted to have sleep over tonight. I know that Luhan-Ge is outstation for two days and you have to take care of two kids while being pregnant.”

“It is fine, Yifan-ge. Let the kids have some fun. I’ll just think of it as a practice for my future daughters.” Yixing replies as he rubs his stomach when he feel his daughters were moving.

Done eyeing the pregnant man with fondness, Yifan then kneels down in front of his baby, “I’m leaving now. Promise me you’ll behave and you will not give any trouble to Uncle Yixing, ok?”

Sehun nods immediately, “I promise, Mama.”

“Good boy. Here is your bag and your doll.” Yifan handed over the bag and the Rilakkuma doll to Sehun. Sehun then kisses his cheek making him smile.

“Ge, you really don’t want to stay for a while?”

“I would like to, but I still have a report that I need to finish.”

“I understand.” Yifan’s about to send his apologies to which Yixing shutted quickly, “Two boys shouldn’t be hard to handle. Be careful on your way home.”

“I will. See you again tomorrow.”

Yixing and Sehun waved their hands as they watch Yifan’s car drive off from Yixing’s house. Yixing then instructed Sehun to come in and also told him that Tao’s been waiting him at his room. Sehun eagerly took off his shoes before dashing towards Tao’s room.

In contrast to Yifan’s frowns, Yixing only chuckles upon Sehun’s behavior. Despite that the fact it is indeed hard to take care two bratty boys for one day, Yixing actually didn’t mind, though. He even starts to miss his husband who wasn’t there for two days. Him, being the understanding husband he was, didn’t want to complain to Luhan and making the elder worry about him. At least by having Sehun here, it will take his mind off from his husband.

 


Tao’s coloring his new color book when he heard the knocks on his door. He quickly drops his colour pencil before running off to the door. His eyes lit up the moment his equally smiling best friend shows up standing at his doorway.

“Hunnie, you finally came! Tao has been waiting for you for a whole day.” Tao juts his lips in complete frustration to which Sehun reasons in panic.

“Sorry, Taotao. Sehunnie wants to bring Blankie, but mama won’t allow it because he said it is only for one night and he didn’t want Sehunnie bring too many things. However, Sehunnie couldn’t sleep without it so Sehunnie keep begging mama and mama finally give in.”

“Oh… I see.” Tao reaches for Sehun’s things as he opens the door widely, “Come in first.”

Sehun quickly dashed towards Tao’s bed, not forgetting to lock the door and dragging his co-conspirator on the way.

“Hunnie, you can put down your bag on the floor and your doll can join Tao’s dolls since we will sleep on the same bed together tonight.” He points at the ready made cot lying on the floor as they sit on the bed, “Mama promised that he’ll cook spaghetti for our dinner today.”

“Okay!”

Sehun throws his bag on the floor before putting his doll beside Tao’s panda dolls collection. He then puts out his notebook to which Tao also looks at curiosity.

“Tao, have you done it?”

“Yes. Tao had called Uncle Suho this morning and asked him to bring us out to eat ice cream. He couldn’t bring us today since he had work to do, but he promised to come tomorrow.” Sehun nods at satisfaction, jutting the information as Tao watches in doubt, “But, are you really sure about this, Hunnie?”

Sehun closes his eyes as he massages his forehead, really doesn’t know what it means since he’s just copying what Yifan does but what he’s sure is that the deed makes someone obey which what happens to him. “Tao, you already asked the same question yesterday and Sehunnie isn’t going to change his mind.”

“Sorry, Hunnie. Tao just want to make sure because this is a very huge thing!”

“Sehunnie knows that and Sehunnie is hundred percent sure about Sehunnie’s decision. Uncle Suho is the most suitable candidate. He is not married, he is nice and kind. Sehunnie not always like adults aside from mama, your parents and our teachers, but Uncle Suho is different. Sehunnie just like him a lot. And when Sehunnie met him for the first time, he give Sehunnie some kind of vibes.”

“What kind of vibes?”

Sehun’s adult talk stopped as he can’t think of any admiring words to show off anymore. “You know it, Tao, but Sehunnie doesn’t know to describe it. The only thing Sehunnie knows is that Sehunnie likes him very much.”

“Tao can understand why Hunnie like Uncle Suho because Tao like him too.” Tao pats Sehun on his head, trying to show his support like how he sees his parents doing at each other, “Hunnie, you don’t have to worry. Hunnie got Tao’s support. Tao’ll help Hunnie to convince Uncle Suho.”

“Thank you, Tao!”

Sehun  pulls his best friend into his arms in gratefulness while Tao giggles in delight.

 


Yixing and the kids were watching cartoon. Although Yixing actually wants to catch up with his romance dramas, if the kids says they want to watch cartoon instead, Yixing couldn’t say no to that.

He still can watch dramas for the whole night today even though his husband may not allow him to do so, but the older wasn’t here anyway so why would he have to care about it? He’s allowed to be rebellious once for a while instead of being the obedient husband he knows he’s not all the time.

His thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell. He wonders who could that be since Yifan had messaged  him an hour ago that he’ll pick up Sehun by late evening as he has something to do. Skeptical, he still gets up from the sofa with much caution and difficulty, being one month away to give birth. He opens the door and he was surprised to see Suho standing at his porch.

“Wow, I didn’t see you only for a few days and you now looked like you’re ready to give birth anytime soon.” It was Yixing bulging belly that caught Suho’s attention that made Yixing somewhat feel giddy.

“I hope that was the case, but these twins want to stay inside my stomach for more month. Carrying twins is not that easy task, Ge.”

“Oh… I still haven’t congratulated you for having two girls. It has been your wish since after having Tao. Instead of getting one, you’re getting two.”

“Thank you, Ge. No more words can describe how happy am I that my wish had come true but Luhan wasn’t really fond of it.”

Suho frowns at Yixing’s revelation, “Huh? Why? Is he against on having a daughter?”

Yixing sees Suho’s impending anger on his husband which made him giggle, “That wasn’t the case. It is just he was a bit freaked out that there’ll be a chance for our daughters to look like him. You know how he feels towards his feminine face. Can you imagine if our daughters having his look and people will not stop talking about it?”

Suho laughs upon visualizing his best friend’s sour face, “Of course I know that very well. He almost punched me in the face for thinking him as a girl when we met for the first time.”

“So what you doing here, Ge? I bet you aren’t looking for Luhan because he surely had told that he was outstation for two days.”

“You’re right. I actually here for...Tao” Yixing’s brows elevated immediately that urged Suho to protect the poor boy from his mother’s wrath, “Tao called me yesterday morning and asked me to bring him and Sehun out. I wasn’t able to do so because of work. So I promise to bring him out today.

Yixing scowls on the older, “Ge, you’re pamper my son too much. You brought him out already two days ago to go eat cake and even bought toys for him. Now, you’re bringing him out again”

“It is okay, Xing. I love kids which is the reason why I choose to become pediatrician. I seriously don’t mind pampering your son.”

Yixing felt all his impending anger died down. The older looks at him, clearly clueless behind Yixing’s deep sigh.

“Ge,” Yixing started, a little bit hesitant and cautious, “Don’t you think it’s about time for you to move on? I know it’s only been three months since you’ve receive the news about your boyfriend’s death. But you’re a very nice guy and I think you should find someone to spend your whole life with.”

It was a weird time for Yifan’s face to suddenly pop up inside Suho’s mind to which he quickly chases out. He shakes his head pretending he didn’t felt anything about the topic as he pats Yixing’s shoulder gently.

“I know you worry about it and I’m thankful for that. However, I’ll just let the fate decide for me on it.” Suho smiles, as if assuring the younger before nudging his head towards the house, “Can you call the kids for me now?”

“Sorry about that. Taozi! Sehun! Uncle Suho is here!”

Seconds later, steps can be heard running towards the doorway before pair of arms wrapped around the visitor’s legs.

“Uncle Suho, you’re here!” Tao yells excitedly to which Suho chuckles on.

“Are both of you ready to go?”

“Yes, Uncle Suho.”

Suho rests his hands on both the children’s head as he turns to the pregnant male. “Xing, we’ll head out first.”

“Be careful and make sure to send them before 6 p.m. because Yifan-Ge is coming around that time to pick Sehun up.”

“Okay, I’ll make sure to send before them before that time.”

Yixing walks back inside his house after Suho and the kids had left. Now that the kids are gone, he can finally watch his romance dramas in peace.

 


Suho’s watching the people outside the window as he waits for the kids to finish their ice cream. A small sigh then escapes from his lips when his eyes linger on a couple holding hands as they walk passed the ice cream shop and it made him remember Yixing’s words.

He’s not going to deny that it has always been a part of his dream having family to spend the rest his life with the person of his love. He was still hoping to share this dream with Jiaheng. Heck, he’s even planning to propose to Jiaheng before the whole misunderstanding with Jiaheng happened! No words can’t describe how heartbroken he was after he received the news about Jiaheng’s death with his dreams all but crushed along with it.

However, his life takes another dramatic turn when he met Yifan. Again. Seems like fate wouldn’t allow him to run away and hide his darkest secret that he had tried hard to conceal in these past ten years.

Aside from Jiaheng, Yifan will always be the first to dwell on his mind as he’s the one he had met first.

Yes, both of them actually met ten years ago. Even earlier than him meeting Jiaheng. He liked going to library that Yifan used to work at and the tall blonde man seemed to didn't really remember him. Well, he couldn’t blame him. There are too many students studying at the same library and he wasn’t that memorable at that time.

It wasn’t the darkest secret in his life that he had forcely tried to hide, but the way he used to hide behind the shelves just to catch a glimpse of Wu Yifan from afar and those uncountable times he tried to talk to the younger is something he wished he had kept locked in, on how he foolishly watch him from afar but was too coward to do so.

“Uncle Suho, can Sehunnie ask a favor?”

Suho snaps out from his reverie as he turns to Sehun. He chuckles when he saw the chocolate sauce at the corner of Sehun’s lips. He takes the tissue and wipes it off as the younger remains oblivious in the mess he’d made.

“Oh.. .Thank you, Uncle Suho.” Sehun beams in delight which makes him fell more at ease. See, he was making the right choice after all.

“You’re welcome, Sehun-ah. So what is it that you want to ask?”

“Mhmm…”

Suho doesn’t fail to notice the child’s sudden hesitation, clueless of the things that seems to bombard Sehun. What if Uncle Suho gets mad? Or says no? What is he going to do after that? Is he gonna tell Mama? A light squeeze on his hand made him stop from his panic attacks then turns to look at Tao who’s smiling encouragely at him.

“Don’t be scared, Sehun-ah. I promise that I’ll not be mad.” Suho reassures the nervous child.

Remembering what pushes him to plan this, Sehun gathers his courage then asks the question that’s been bothering him for the week, “Uncle Suho, can you become my new appa?”

To say that the older was shocked as a mixture of bewilderment and failure of comprehending the question adorned his face that made Sehun ask the same question again, this time with conviction. He couldn’t really think of anything as he wasn’t expecting Sehun will ask him this kind of question. Or favor.

“Sehun-ah,” Suho started, too pressured with the glint of hope written all over the children’s faces, “I’m. . .I’m sorry, but I can’t become your new Appa.” Suho tried to construct his words carefully but he should have expected Sehun’s crushed expression that made him curse himself mentally. “However, I promise that we still can hang out after this if you really like me that much.”

“But… you can’t become my new Appa by marrying my mama?”

“What? Marry your mama?”

An image of him and Yifan standing in the banquet hall with all the guests watching suddenly pop up into his mind and did he really tried his best to erase the image, the whole scene even, on his head.

“I...I can’t do that.”

“Why? You’re not married.” Sehun tilted his head a little.

“Listen, marriage is a huge thing, Sehun-ah. I can’t simply marry your mama and I don’t think your mama will ever agree to it either.”

“So...does that mean you’re not going to become...my new appa?” Sehun sniffing and trying his tears that accumulated on his large, sad eyes not to fall made everything harder for Suho.

“I’m very sorry, Sehun-ah.” Suho apologizes as he pats Sehun’s shoulder. He hates to break the kid’s heart, but what choice does he have? If Sehun’s asking for toys or money, he still can fulfill, but marry Yifan? How could he ever say yes to that?

“How could you, Uncle Suho? Tao thought you’re a good man and now you break Hunnie’s heart!”

Tao sure did make his presence well known as Suho swears the child almost created a dent on the table with his little fist. He had forgotten that Tao is there too. This is not good. Tao may inherited most of Luhan’s sweet behavior, but there were few things that he inherited from Yixing and those are the scary ones. He would have barged out from there to save himself from the child’s wrath if not because he was with two kids now.

“It is okay, Tao-yah.  Sehunnie can’t force Uncle Suho. Sehunnie is fine.” Sehun replies, trying to stop his best friend from getting mad at Suho although his hiccups made him had difficulties to speak up.

“Don’t lie to Taotao. Tao can see that you’re very sad right now and this is all Uncle Suho’s fault.” Tao says as he glares at Suho in disdain like how Yixing snarls at Luhan. “Why it so hard to marry Hunnie’s mama and become his new appa?”

How am I going to explain to them in order for them to understand? They’re still kids after all.

“Tao-yahhh” The sniffing boy whines as he tugs Sehun’s arm to which the latter also does at Suho’s arm as he whines “Uncle Suho…”

When did Tao come here? Don’t look at him, Suho… Just don’t look at them!

“Please become Sehun’s new appa. Don’t you feel pity toward Hunnie? He didn’t have Baba not like other kids.” As if Luhan had possessed the child, Tao’s icy glares now morphed into his powerful weapon, his puppy eyes.

And, Suho’s resolute crumble after that.

“Fine! I’ll become your appa, Sehun!”

The two kids cheered in triumph as the older slumps in despair. Suho lets out a small groan as he buries his face inside his arms. He wonders how’s he going to get out from this situation.


Author's note: All of you never expected that coming, right? XD