Chapter Six

Love Between Us

Author's note: This is double update chapter. Please read the previous chapters first.  Thanks.


Jiaheng immediately left Suho’s apartment despite that Suho had asked him to stay for dinner. Once again, he had to use Yifan as an excuse so that Suho wouldn’t be able to force him to stay.

He couldn’t stay there any longer especially after he knew that Suho was living alone and not staying with his uncle in his apartment. Who knows what’ll happen when there are only two of them inside the apartment.

He quickly slapped both of his cheek and he had forgotten about his bruised cheek making him yelped in pain because of that. He was too busy nursing his injured cheek that he didn’t realize the door was open from inside.

“Gege? Is there something wrong? I heard…” Yifan stopped his words halfway and his eyes widened slightly, “Ge! What happen to your cheek?”

“Let us go inside first. After that, I’ll tell you everything.”

They then headed toward the living room. Jiaheng yelped again when Yifan suddenly pulled his brother to sit down on the sofa.

“Didi? What the heck?”

“Ge, let me see your cheek.” Yifan tilted Jiaheng’s head a little, “Such a big bruise! Did you have fight with someone again?”

Jiaheng’s expression changed upon hearing that.

“What do you mean by that? Am I in your eyes that kind of person who’ll always like to get into trouble?”

“What is wrong with you? I was just asking nicely.” The same expression also spotted on Yifan’s face.

“Oh, really? Why do you sound like you were accusing me for getting involved in fight with someone again?”

Yifan angrily get up from the sofa.

“You’re too much, Ge! I never accused you! Last time you came back with a same bruise because you had fight with someone for insulting you. That’s why I asked whether this time is it the same case!”

The situation heated instantly causing Jiaheng to also get up from the sofa.

“If you want to know the truth so much, fine! The reason why I had bruise on my cheek was because of you! Did a girl named Lee Meiying bring back any memory to you? Her boyfriend brought his friends to the library, thinking that I was you. And here I was thinking I had done an honorable job to protect my brother. And instead of thanking me, he accused me.”

Yifan let out a small groan.

“You just wouldn’t let this down, will you? So, what if I know her? She is my classmate after all. And one more thing, I didn’t even need your protection. I can protect myself quite fine.”

“Is that so? Fine! I’ll not bother about you anymore.”

Jiaheng quickly run inside to his room. A loud thud can be heard after that. Yifan huffed before he can also go back inside to his room.

 


 

A week had passed; both Jiaheng and Yifan are still not in speaking terms. This time, Jiaheng isn’t going to apologize since it wasn’t his fault in the first place. How could Yifan accused him getting into fight again? Yes, he did get into fight before, but that fight wasn’t even his fault. His schoolmate didn’t only insulted him, but also his family which made him lose control and punched his schoolmate straight on the face.

Not only that, he was a bit hurt when Yifan said that he didn’t need his protection. Yifan was a bit fragile compared to him. He still could remember Yifan get sick easily when they were still small. Not only that, his brother doesn’t even know how to fight so how is he capable of protecting himself? It is his duty as the older ones to protecting his brother after all.

The vibration in his pocket startled him. He held his hand over his chest to ease him a little before he fished out his phone from his pocket. He bits his lips when he saw it is a message from Suho who’s informing him that he had already arrived at the café.

Because of his argument with Yifan, he asked Suho to change their meeting place. Luckily, Suho didn’t asked too much questions and agrees with it, he had been standing across the street for almost twenty minutes to wait for Suho to enter the café first. He was too occupied thinking about Yifan until he didn’t saw Suho had entered the shop.

He immediately checked himself using the side mirror of a car that was parked in front of him. His hand stopped midway when he realizes what he was doing. What is wrong with him? Why does he have to care so much about his today’s appearance? It is just an ordinary tutoring session with a handsome man…okay…just stop it Wu Jiaheng!

To tell the truth, he is still a bit reluctant to continue this tutoring session with Suho, but he had to do it so he can improve his result to show to Yifan that he isn’t like his brother thinks he is.

He took a deep breath before he entered the café. He then looks for Suho around the café. Once again, his heart almost stops beating when he finally spots Suho who choose the table beside the window. The main reason is because Suho is wearing spectacles today and he must say Suho looks freaking hot with those spectacles.

Looks like Suho had saw him too because he was waving his hand and Jiaheng--miraculously wasn’t too deep into his thoughts--waves back, too timidly. He then walked slowly towards Suho. Seriously, what is wrong with him? He never was been so shy before. Yes, he is exactly a social butterfly, but he never had trouble talking with other people nor did he had trouble making friends. Why does he react like this when he was around Suho?

“Hi.”

Jiaheng then sit down on the chair in front of Suho.

“Hi. Have you waited long?”

Suho shook his head, “Not at all. How was your cheek?”

“Don’t you ever feel bored asking the same question every day?” Jiaheng asked with slight displeasure underneath his tone.

It becomes too annoying when Suho had constantly messages him almost every day, asking the same question regarding his cheek. Not even his brother who was a bit of a mother hen was this annoying.

“It is wrong for me to care about you?”

Jiaheng was stunned by that question. He cares about me?

“O-of course not. It was a bit annoying that you keep asking the same question.”

Suho then chuckled softly, “Sorry about that. I know that I can be annoying sometimes. ‘Lot of my friends has told me that.”

“It is okay. I never take it to the heart.”

Jiaheng was startled when Suho suddenly leaned closer to him.

“Ahh…the bruise on your cheek is almost gone. You did apply the ointment that I give to you every day?”

Jiaheng can only nod his head. He let out his breath that he didn’t realize he’d been holding when Suho sit back down on his chair.

“Yes, I did which is why it heals faster.”

“Great. So do you want to eat or start our tutoring session first?”

“I’m a bit hungry right now so can we eat first?”

Suho’s lips then curled into smile, “I’m hungry too.” He then raised his hand to call for the waiter.

Jiaheng doesn’t know how he is going to survive this whole day of tutoring session when he already become stuttering mess simply because Suho smiles at him.

 


 

Jiaheng’s food was left untouched. It is because he was too busy staring at Suho. He knew that he should stop since it would be so embarrassing if he was caught by the boy. Yet, he just couldn’t. He just can’t resist on looking as Suho really looked different when he was wearing spectacles.

“Does it look weird when I was wearing spectacles? I can’t help it. My eyes got infection two days ago and the doctor advises me to stop wearing contact lens for a while.”

 “No, that wasn’t the case. It’s just that. . .you look different. You look very handsome.” The last part was left unsaid by Jiaheng. He was already felt embarrassed that he had been caught staring. There is no way he is going to say that outright to Suho and embarrassed himself further.

“Different means I look weird or it means I look handsome?”

Suho’s unable to contain his laughter when Jiaheng stared at him with his mouth slightly open wide.

“I was just kidding, Jiaheng. You didn’t need to take it seriously.”

Blush slowly crept onto Jiaheng upon hearing that.

“You’re very cute.”

“Huh?”

“Why is your food untouched? Was it not suitable for your taste? Do you want to order different dish?” Suho quickly changed the subject. He feels like he want to hit himself right now for saying that aloud. Lucky for him, Jiaheng didn’t get to hear it properly.

“There is no need for that. I’ll eat it now.” Jiaheng replied. He couldn’t tell to Suho that he was the real reason why his food was left untouched.

“Better be fast so we can start our tutoring session. I can only tutor you for…” Suho then glance at his watch, “Two hours today. I’ve had to leave early today because my uncle had a dinner party tonight and he requires my presence.”

“Oh, I see. I remembered that you mention it before that your uncle adopted you after your parents died. Can I ask what really happened?”

“I was just twelve when they died. They were on the plane to attend their friend’s wedding and I couldn’t come with them because of exam and…” Suho momentarily took a deep breath before continuing, “Their plane crashed. No survivors. My uncle only has two daughters and he longed for a son, so he immediately adopted me.”

Jiaheng mentally scolded himself for asking the question after he saw the sad expression on Suho’s face.

 “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to bring bad memories. I was just curious because I’m an orphan too. My twin and I never got the chance to meet our father because he died in car accident before we were born and our mother had to raised us alone. She took three jobs just to feed us and pay our living and school expenses. Maybe because of that, she died of exhaustion when we were still sixteen years old.”

Jiaheng’s heart beats wildly inside his chest the moment--not because of those painful memories emerging once again--when Suho suddenly hold his hand.

“I’m sorry too. Because you want console me, you had to bring out your bad memories.”

“I-it’s okay. I’m already used to it. People just wouldn’t stop asking where our parents are after they saw us living alone in the apartment without any adult supervision.”

Suho was slightly taken aback by that, “Both of you living alone? Where are your relatives?”

“No one wanted to take care of us by saying that they didn’t have money nor time to take care of us. We didn’t have any choice but to rely on ourselves. My brother had to take a part time job to support us.”

“Eh? Your brother works to support both of you?”

“You must be thinking that I’m such a bad brother for making my twin to work while I did nothing, isn’t it? I did have one or two part-time job before, but it didn’t last long.  I’m a bit hot-tempered compared to my brother…so yeah…” Jiaheng scratch the back of his neck.

“I’m actually not in the place to judge you, but I must admit that I’m quite admiring you and your brother. I lost my parents, but I still have my uncle that’s willing to take care of me while both of you didn’t have anyone, yet, both of you managed to turn out just fine. So please stop underestimating yourself, okay?”

“O-okay…”

Jiaheng stuttered once more, and decided to bow down to keep his face from Suho--who’s been holding his hand tightly as he misunderstands the red-faced boy’s embarrassment to deep grief--as he mentally curses himself. Why do you have to be so good with your words?


Author's note: I hope you love these updates. Please drop one or two comments. Thank you. :)