Chapter Fifteen

Love Between Us

As if a sunlight shined unexpectedly in the stillness of the night, Yifan’s cold demeanor melts instantly as he steps into the porch. The reason? A sunshine morphed into a little boy that turns his frown into a small smile as Sehun runs toward him while yelling “Mama!”.

“Have you behaved,baby?” Yifan asks in which the boy nods enthusiastically. He lets out a small chuckle when Sehun hugs him.

“Yes, mama. Sehunnie follow as mama said”

“Good boy. Let’s go in now.” Yifan offers while caressing Sehun’s head.

The boy nods his head eagerly. He can’t wait to meet his best friend again because he’s been missing Tao the whole hours although they just met few hours ago.  He turns around when he heard steps approaching them and his eyes sparkle in delight the moment he recognizes the person.

“Uncle Suho!” Sehun yells as he waves his hand excitedly.

Suho’s about to wave back, but he drops his hand immediately when Yifan glares at him, making a small sigh come out from his lips before he approaches the pair of mother and son.

“Hi, Sehun.” Suho greets Sehun back.

“Uncle Suho, what are you doing here? Do you know Tao and his parents too?”

“Yes, I do know them. I’m Tao’s parents’ best friend.”

“Sehunnie and Taotao are best friend too!” Sehun chirps excitedly.

“Ahh...so you’re the boy that he always talks about.”

“Taotao talks about Sehunnie?”

“He did. He said you’re very nice and kind. You also always help him.”

Yifan watches Suho and Sehun having conversation with disbelief written all over his face. What on earth is going on? Sehun wasn’t a friendly kid. He usually would take time to open up to someone. Yet, he just met Suho yesterday and he already acted this friendly with Suho.

To be frank, he doesn’t like even one bit of it. If his baby get too close to Suho, then he’s going to have difficulties on avoiding Suho, but he doesn’t know what to do. He couldn’t tell Sehun that he shouldn’t act this friendly towards Suho without being bombarded by questions from the small boy.

The door’s sudden opening had interrupted his thoughts, also the same with Suho and Sehun’s conversation. Turns out, it was Yixing who opens the door with Luhan standing behind him.

“See, I told you that I heard people talking outside our door, but you said that I was crazy.”

“Baobei! When did I ever said that? I only said that you may heard it wrongly since I didn't hear any noise minutes ago.” Luhan quickly denies the accusation.

“It is still the same.”

“No, it doesn’t.”

Yixing’s about to refute if it weren’t for Suho dusting his pants from kneeling. “Enough both of you. Please do remember we have a kid with us right now.” He sternly reprimands as the couple only notices Sehun’s questioning glaze.

Which made Luhan rub his neck awkwardly while Yixing giggling shyly.

“Please come in. I only need to wash and cut the vegetables before we can start our steamboat. Suho, you’re going to help me. Let us go now.”

Suho only stares at Luhan’s instructions, earning the older a dumbfounded expression on the younger’s face.

“Hyung, I’m one of your guest. How could you ask me to help you?”

“Shut up.”

“Aren’t you just being pettyㅡ” Luhan grabs Suho’s hand and drags him towards the kitchen. He actually doesn’t really need any help, but he couldn’t leave his best friend with Yifan and making the situation awkward between them.

“Let’s go in and let them do all the job. I’ll call Tao to come down now.” Yixing opened the door more wide as Sehun almost fly to the shoe rack to remove his shoes and wear his newly bought Rilakkuma slippers that the family had kept (seeing how frequent Sehun and the Wu’s will be on their house.)

“Sure.”

Yixing then goes by the stairs side.

“Taozi, come down now. Sehun and Uncle Yifan is here.” Yixing calls while caressing his stomach.

Seconds later, a loud sound of a door being slammed followed by steps running towards the stairs echoes on the house. Tao’s eyes glints in delight the moment his eyes lands on his best friend standing with the same level of excitement downstairs. He quickly dashes down the stairs.

“Hunnie, you finally came! Taotao’s been waiting for you. Let’s go to Tao’s room! Mama, Tao want to show his room to Hunnie.”

“Okay.”

“Don’t run!” Yifan and Yixing yells in unison as Sehun and Tao runs dashing through the stairs towards Tao’s room. They stared at each other before a small laugh came out from their lips.

“Let’s go to the living room first. I’ll ask my husband to prepare some drinks for us.”

“There’s no need for that,Yixing.”

“You’re my guest. It’ll be impolite if I couldn’t even  offered you a drink.”

Yifan’s about to decline again since he isn’t that thirsty and he doesn’t want to bother Yixing’s husband, but his words are cut off by Yixing who yells at his husband to prepare drinks for them.

Yixing sits down on the sofa with a bit of difficulty due to his bulging stomach.

“Ge, come sit beside me.” Yixing motions as he pats the empty spot beside him.

“Okay, sure.”

Yifan then sits beside Yixing. Yixing takes the remote control from the coffee table and turns on the television.

“So your husband knows how to cook?” Yifan asks to break the silent atmosphere.

Yixing lets out a small chuckle, “Han only knows how to cook instant noodles. I actually want to cut all the ingredients on my own, but he wouldn’t let me do it. Ever since I got pregnant again, he’s being overprotective. He wouldn’t even let me do all the house chores aside from cooking since he doesn’t really know how to cook.” He complains automatically while his eyes never left the television.n

“You should be happy that your husband is helping you do the house chores. Most of my colleagues’ husband didn’t even help them when they were pregnant.”

“It is not that I don’t appreciate it. This only made me feel useless and bit of suffocated because of my husband’s protective behavior. I’m not disabled. I can still do simple house chores.”

“Have you ever tried talking this matter with your husband?”

“I did. Many times. But he keeps on doing itㅡtreating me like some fragile glass”

“I see.”

The atmosphere turns silent again as Yifan doesn’t know what else to say since he himself isn’t very experienced about relationship matters while Yixing focuses on watching his drama.

Yifan takes the chance to glance around Yixing’s house. Yixing’s house can be considered big. There are two rooms downstairs which he thinks one of it must be the washroom.

Then, he sees a large portrait hanging on the wall on top of the television. It was Yixing and Luhan’s wedding picture. Both of them were wearing suit, but in different color. Luhan wearing the typical black suit with his hair being pushed back while Yixing’s a silver colored one. Looks like the picture was taken after Yixing gave birth to Tao because there was a baby sleeping peacefully on his arms.

His eyes then wanders to the smaller frames on the television cabinet. His eyes widens a little when he spots a picture of a male teenager posing together with a middle schooler in front of the ferris wheel.  There was a small frown on the teenager’s lips while the middle schooler grinned in delight.

“My husband and I were neighbours. We practically grew up together.” Luhan, who’s still standing with the drinks his husband ask, helpfully supplies as he noticed Yifan’s frowns. He smiles into some fond memory that he and Yixing only knows when the younger scoffs, seemingly irritated with the same memory he doesn’t enjoy like the older.

“Of course not. My husband is one year older than you, Ge. So we have 4 years .  He used to bully me all the time when we’re still small. We only become a couple after I entered high school.”

“Baobei, can you stop telling others about our past? Didn’t I apologize for that? I was still young at that time.” Luhan pleads but his “bullied” husband doesn’t agree.

“Why? It was a very interesting story. Also, I want Yifan-ge to know how bad you were towards me when we’re young.” Yixing teases.

“Haha. . .very funny. Here is your drink.” Luhan hands over a glass of orange juice to his husband.

“No ice?” Yixing frowns when he notices his orange juice doesn’t have any ice when lately he’s been craving for cold drinks.

“I heard you coughing these few days. So no cold drink for you.”

“But…” Yixing starts to whine.

“Just listen to me, okay? I don’t want you to get sick later.” Luhan gently reprimands as he caresses Yixing's cheek.

“Fine.”

The couple’s act makes Yifan feel uncomfortable. He bites his lips while tugging his shirt. He needs to make an excuse or something to get away from there. Before he can say something, his words were cut off by Suho.

“Ge, can you stop being lovey dovey with your husband and give me a hand at here?” Suho yells. He’s been helping Luhan set up the plates on the dining table when he saw how uncomfortable Yifan was. He decides to help him despite the fact that Yifan still hates him.

“Alright, I’m coming. Here is your drink, Yifan.”

“Ahh...Thank you.”

Yifan keeps on staring at his glass as he wonders if Suho saw his discomfort and save him just now. If that was really the case, why did he do that?

 


 

The steamboat dinner had gone quite smoothly than Yifan expected. He thought it will be a bit awkward since Suho was there, but turns out it didn’t. Luhan did most of the talking, telling him about funny stories that happened during high school and college. Yixing and Suho sometimes intervene the conversation when Luhan starts to talk bad about them and he couldn’t help from laughing whenever that happens.

The only thing that made him uncomfortable is that he feels someone’s eyes on him the whole time he’s eating or busy feeding Sehun and when he raises his head up, everyone’s seemed busy eating. It makes him wonder who might that person could be. It couldn’t be Luhan and Yixing since it is very clear that they’re quite smitten with each other, but if it was Suho the one staring at him, why would he do that?

“Ge?”

Yixing’s soft voice interrupts his thought.

“Yes?”

“Are you okay, Ge? I was asking you a question just now, but you didn’t give me any answer.”

“Ohh… I’m very sorry, Xing. I was just thinking about my work. So what did you ask me just now?”

“It is fine. I actually was wondering if you want to sleep here tonight. It’s starting to getting very dark outside and I’m a bit worried for your safety.”

“I appreciate your offer, but you don’t have to worry. It only takes a twenty minute drive from your house to my condo.”

“Fine. I’m not going to force you. Let me go call the kids so that you and Sehun go back home now.”

“It is alright, Xing. Just let them finish watching the cartoon.” Yifan smiles, hoping the still worried pregnant man would be satisfied.

After dinner, the kids went back to Tao’s room to watch some cartoons using Luhan’s tab while Luhan had gone inside his room and he doesn’t know and wants to know where Suho went after the dinner.

“Baobei, where’s my favorite red Manchester t-shirt? I want to take a bath now.” Luhan yelled.

Yixing rolls his eyes, “I put it inside the cabinet.” He replies back.

“I couldn’t find it.”

Yixing grumbles as he gets up from the sofa, “Fine, I’m coming now.” He yelled back. “Ge, I’m going to help my husband find his so called favourite shirt. I’ll leave the tv on so that you’ll not be bored.”

“Yeah, sure, just go. I’ll be be fine here alone.”

Yifan couldn’t stop smiling as he watches Yixing keep on grumbling as he climbs the stairs. He then decides to watch dramas to pass some time while waiting for Yixing to come back. It was only been few minutes after Yixing left him alone in the living room when he felt someone sit beside him.

“Are you alone?”

Yifan doesn’t need to turn to know who has the audacity to sit beside him right now. Although they only talk for a few times, he can recognized distinguish Suho’s voice quite well. This made him wonder more why Suho suddenly makes his appearance now, and why not before? Is he waiting him to be alone so that they can talk?

“What are you then? A ghost?” Yifan replies sarcastically.

A small sigh escapes from Suho’s lips, “When are you going to start acting nicely towards me?”

“I should act nicely towards you? Do you even deserve it?”

Yifan keeps on looking at the stairs, hoping that Yixing would come down so that he wouldn’t have to be alone with Suho.

“Please don’t tell me you still think that I cheated on your brother.”

Yifan’s ears twitch which made him turn to face Suho. He didn’t try to hide his anger as his face screams hatred to the poor guy who flinched with Yifan’s reaction.

“Didn’t I already told you the reason yesterday? Yet, why you are and still trying so hard to get along with me? Please don’t tell me it is because my face is exactly the same as my Ge. Were you planning to use and replace me with my brother?” Yifan gritted through his teeth each words in full volume; as if wanting Suho to feel his anger and conviction, if possible, even more.

“What? That wasn’t the case. You and Jiaheng do have the same face, but both of you are two different person.”

Yifan’s slightly taken aback by Suho’s words. Most people always think since they are twins, they must have the same personalities which they weren’t. Yet, they never bother to correct them. Both of them just let people think whatever they want.

And to say this is the first time he heard those words from someone he didn’t really knew was something.

“How could you know that when we only interact for few times?”

“Well,” Suho tries to maintain their eye contact but the angry twin’s glaze made him want to crumble, “Firstly, Jiaheng wouldn’t act like this towards me. Your Ge did tell me before that you can be a little sassy, but this definitely little sassy.”

Yifan laughs, clearly mocking the guy’s statement.

Yifan scoffed, “You know, there are only two types of people, two categories, who can knows and see the real me. First category belongs to those people who’s close to me while the last category belongs to the persons whom I dislike and you, congratulation, belong to second category. Now, please, do excuse me. It is getting quite dark, thus my son and I need to leave now. See you… nah… I don’t want to see you again. So this is a goodbye from me.” Yifan puts an end to their conversation as he prepares to get Sehun and tell Yixing their departure.

“Wait a minute, I haven’t finished talking yet.” Suho scrambles as he saw Yifan already out of his place. Which made him resort into grabbing Yifan’s hand to prevent him from leaving.

“Let go of me!”

“Can you at least let me finish? There are lot of thing that I need to say.”

“No.”

Yifan tries to pull his hands from Suho’s grip but Suho unexpectedly pulls back making him lose his balance and ends up falling down into Suho’s lap.

To say the both of them were clearly shocked by the unexpected outcome is an understatement as they both only stared at each other for secondsㅡ which is and really impossible to happenㅡ before actually having a grasp into the situation.

“Oh-I-I’m sorry. I didn’t meant to pull that hard.” Suho quickly apologizes as he watches Yifan’s face is redding and darkening to which he doesn’t know whether it’s because of anger or because of embarrassment.

“Y-you ert!”

Yifan slaps Suho on his cheek. He then storms out of the hall as he stomps and walks anywhereㅡ just to get away from the still sitting manㅡ angrily. Suho lets out a sigh as he touches his still throbbing cheek. Looks like he just made everything worse.


Author's note:Finally, the long awaiting update. Please leave down a comment of what you think about this chapter.