Chapter Three

Love Between Us

After taking a hot and steamy bath and having a dinner with Sehunnie, Yifan’s mind had calm down a bit. He even managed to scold himself for running away like a coward when he should’ve gave him the piece of mind and that guilt-trip for breaking his brother’s heart. If not because of him, then his brother should still be...

“Mama….Sehunnie wants to sleep now….” Sehun said. A small yawn then escaped from the small boy’s lips.

Yifan mentally sighed. He shouldn’t be thinking about Suho right now when he was still inside Sehun’s room since Sehun want him to read a bedtime story before he goes to sleep. Lucky for him, Sehun was getting sleepy. If not, his baby definitely would still sulk at him for losing focus during his storytime.

“Then go to sleep, baby. You still have class tomorrow morning.” Yifan replied, closing the book on his lap.

Sehun jutted out his lips, “Mama, does Sehunnie has to go to kindergarten tomorrow?”

Here we go again.

“Tao is going to kindergarten tomorrow too. Don’t you want to see him tomorrow?”

“Ahh...mama is right. Sehunnie needs to say sorry to him for not able to see his room.”

“Good boy.” Yifan said as he caressed Sehun’s hair, “Sleep now, baby.”

Yifan then put the book on top of the bedside table just in case Sehun wants him to continue to read this story tomorrow night.

“Good night, mama.”

“Good night, baby.”

Yifan kissed Sehun on the forehead gently on his bed. He pulls the blanket and covered Sehun’s body who was already fall into deep slumber. He chuckled upon seeing that. He turns off the light before walking out from Sehun’s room.

He enters his bedroom and switched on the light. He sits down on his bed and takes out a diary from the drawer. He caresses the black cover softly. He actually didn’t want to read this diary again since it’ll only bring out a bad memory but his meeting with Suho today somehow had triggered him to read it again.

He then opens the diary. There was a picture inside the diary. He raised the picture; it is a picture of a red haired man being hugged from behind by his petite partner while standing in front the fountain. Both of them looked happy judging by the smile on their lips. He then turned the picture. There are words written on the back of picture. 

‘Jiaheng and Suho’s first anniversary.’

He puts back the picture on its original place before turning to the first page. He then starts reading the diary.

 


 

Ten years ago,

Yifan tapped his leg on the marble floor with his arms folded across his chest. He then glanced on the clock hanging on the wall. It is already two in the morning, but his brother still hasn’t come home yet. He quickly grabbed his hand phone from the coffee table. He is going to call Jiaheng and ask where his whereabouts rather than sit here doing nothing.

Before he could dial Jiaheng’s number, he heard the door lock was clicked open. He quickly covered his nose when his brother entered their shared apartment. There were odors coming from his brother’s body. There is no doubt that Jiaheng must’ve gone clubbing again.

“Didi, why you still haven’t gone to sleep?”

“I was waiting for you, ge. I have something that I need to discuss with you.”

“Can it wait? I’m quite sleepy right now.”

Yifan’s resolution almost wavered when he saw how tired his brother was. However, he then remembered what he had discovered during cleaning Jiaheng’s room. He need to discuss this matter with his brother now.

“No, we need discuss it now. It can’t wait any longer.”

Jiaheng let out a groan, “Fine, what is it?”

Yifan then took a blue card from the coffee table. He open it before showing it to Jiaheng. Jiaheng’s face turned a bit pale when he finally recognize the card that his brother was holding. It was none other than his report card.

, I should have hide it in a better place.

“What is this, ge? You failed almost all of your subject! You only pass one subject, but the result wasn’t even that good.”

Jiaheng quickly pulled the card from his brother’s grip, “The , Yifan? Why are you going around looking at my things?”

“I wasn’t! I was cleaning your room and I saw this on top of your desk. You still haven’t answered my question.

“Look, I’m dead tired. Can we discuss this tomorrow morning?”

“No!” Yifan firmly said.

“Why can’t you understand that I’m dead tired right now! I already told you that we’ll discuss about this morning!”

“I’m tired too, ge. I had class for whole day and I had assignment that I need to submit tomorrow. Not only that, I had to work part time to support our living expenses. After coming home from work, I still had to clean our apartment because my brother is too busy clubbing making me having no choice but to do it myself. But, have you ever heard me complaining about it?”

Jiaheng massages his forehead. His brother is shy and much more kinder compared to him, but there is another characteristics that totally differentiate him and his brother, Yifan’s sassiness.

“I’m not in the mood to argue with you right now. I’m going to sleep now.”

“Don’t you dare to walk away from me when I’m still haven’t finished talking!” Yifan shouted angrily when Jiaheng walking toward his bedroom.

Jiaheng groaned before turning to face his brother. He was pretty sure that his patience reaching his limit.

“Will you just stop it? Which part of ‘I’m tired’ that you don’t understand? I’m really not in the mood entertaining your childish behavior right now.”

Yifan was taken aback by Jiaheng’s words.

“I’m acting childish? So it was wrong for me to care about my own twin brother? Should I let you fail all your subjects and say nothing about it?” He replied while trying to withhold his anger.

Jiaheng cursed when he finally realized what he had said. He doesn’t mean to come out that way. Yifan definitely taking it the wrong way.

“Didi, I didn’t meant it like that…”

“Save it, Ge. I’m just going to say this. It has been Ma’s dream to see both of us graduate from college and get a stable job. If you aren’t going to do it for me, at least do it for Ma.”

Yifan then made his way to his room. A loud thud can be heard after that.

Jiaheng slumped down on the sofa. He didn’t meant it. He was a bit drunk and tired. The argument between him and Yifan made him snap. Now, Yifan’s definitely going to give him the silent treatment again.

 


 

A small sigh escaped from Jiaheng’s lips as he tapped his pen on the desk. He was right about his brother giving him a silent treatment, but it was never this long before. Usually, it would take two or three days to make Yifan forgive him and it had been a week, yet, there was no sign that Yifan is going to forgive him anytime soon.

At first, he wanted to wait until Yifan approached him first. However, he couldn’t even last for two days. This is because Yifan would greet him every morning with the breakfast ready on the table and they would eat together before going to their respective colleague. But, now, he had to eat alone since Yifan already leave before he woke up. At least, Yifan still prepare breakfast for him.

Because of that, he decided to apologize to Yifan and amend their strain relationship. He wasn’t unable to do so because Yifan was avoiding him. Since he couldn’t talk with him in the morning, he was planning to talk with Yifan after their classes had finished, but he had forgotten that his brother had taken a part time job as a librarian to support them.

He’s even willing to stop on going to club or hanging out with his friends to stay at home and waited for Yifan to come home from his work. Much to his dismay, Yifan immediately went to his room after he came home. This had been going on for a week and his ideas weren’t working at all.

Well, there’s still one thing that he can do to make his brother forgive him. The problem is that he doesn’t have any money right now. Their mother’s life insurance is used to cover his study fees since Yifan got a scholarship and he isn’t fond of working part time to support him and his brother. He would only go to clubs with his friends after his friends promised to treat him.

“Wu Jiaheng!”

Jiaheng snapped out from his thought. He gulped because his lecturer is standing in front of him right now and judging by his expression, he must be angry at him for not focusing to class again.

“Go to principal’s office after this class finish.”

“Yes, sir.”

 


 

Yifan pushes the cart that’s full of books that the students returned today.  His mind then slowly drifted to Jiaheng. A week had passed since his last argument with Jiaheng and he must admit that he missed his brother a little.

However, that doesn’t meant he is going to stop giving silent treatment to Jiaheng. His heart was still hurt by Jiaheng’s words. Was it wrong for him to worry about his brother? He just didn’t want his brother being kicked out from the college. It will be hard for Jiaheng to get into another college since his result wasn’t that good.

His brother wasn’t like this before. Yes, Jiaheng isn’t smart if compared to him. Still, his result was still good. However, it all changed after their mother died and Jiaheng start hanging out with wrong crowd.  His brother then started  smoking and clubbing almost every night. It affected his brother’s result a lot. His brother was still considered lucky that he was able to finish high school and the community college still wants to accept him despite his poor result.

A small sigh escaped from his lips. When does his brother is going to change his behavior?

“Damn.”

Yifan snapped out from his trance. He turned his head toward the voice and saw a petite man struggled to get a book from the upper cabinet. He feels sympathetic toward the petite man and decided to help him.

He then approached the man.

“Do you need any help?”

Yifan almost laugh when he saw the man’s eyes comically grew bigger. It is quite predicted that this man must be shocked by his height.

“Mister?”

“Ah… y-yes. .I do. Can you help take that book for me?” The petite man said as he point his finger toward the book that he wanted.

Yifan nodded his head. He then took the required book from the cabinet.

Ahh… he must be a medical student. Yifan thought as he read the book’s title.

“Is this book that you want?” He asked as he hand the book to petite man with a smile on his lips.

“Yes, this is the book I want. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.  I need to go back to do my work now.”

The petite man was about to say something, but he was too late because Yifan’s already pushing his cart and was headed toward the right direction. The petite man cursed himself for being so slow.

 


 

Jiaheng knocked at the door. A male voice then asked him to come in. He took a deep breath before he stepped inside into office.

“Sir, are you looking for me?”

The elderly man stops reading the document on his desk.

“Yes, I do. Please have a seat.”

Jiaheng then sits down on the leather chair in front of his principal’s desk.

“First, I must apologize. I should have try to get know my students especially about their family.”

Jiaheng furrowed his eyebrows, “What are you talking about, sir?”

“I didn’t know you’re an orphan. I’ve  had called to your house to talk with your parents regarding your poor result, but it was your brother picking my call instead of your parents and he told me that both of your parents had died long ago.”

Jiaheng’s face turned pale upon hearing that, “S-Sir…”

“I’m not calling you here to talk about that and I wouldn’t force you to talk about your parents. So you don’t have to worry about it. The reason why I’m calling you here it is regarding your poor result. I decided to hire a tutor to help you with your study.”

“Sir, you don’t have to do that! I don’t need a tutor. I promise that I’ll try studying hard after this.”

“I don’t like to force my students to do something that they don’t like, but I don’t have much choice. It is regarding your future after all. Not only that, your brother practically begged me to help you. You don’t have to worry about the tutor. The tutor is my nephew and he is very nice, patient guy.”

“I…”

“I’m just going to say this. It is been Ma’s dream to see both of us graduate from college and get a stable job. If you aren’t going to do it for me, at least do it for Ma.”

A small sigh then escaped from Jiaheng’s lips, “When is this class going to start?”

“Is tomorrow okay with you?”

Jiaheng nodded his head.

“I’ll give you number to my nephew and ask him to call about the time and place.”

The principal stand up from his chair and pats Jiaheng’s shoulder.

“You’re making the right decision, young man.”

Jiaheng give a bitter smile to his principal. He dislikes studying which is the reason why he doesn’t want to have a tutor. The tutor would surely force him to study. But, he had to because of his mother’s dying wish and also because of his brother who’s always been constantly worrying about him. He hoped that his tutor is just like what his principal said.

 


Author's note: We'll going into Yifan-Jiaheng-Suho's past  before we moved to the present.

Please give a comment what do you do think of this chapter. Thanks.