Chapter Sixteen

Love Between Us

Life moved on as how it usually does for Yifan in the past two weeks. His usual cycle of work, stress, arguments with the bratty boy who’s acting up not only unwilling to finish his homework but also messes up his room that results to a pouting, sulking boy that Yifan had grown upon as he reprimands the boy for the nth time of his life.

Yifan acting like a strict parent as what his co workers tell him doesn’t stop him from disciplining the boy by ignoring the boy’s whimsㅡ it may be too uptight and cold for others but Yifan knows how Sehun wouldn’t really sulk very long and it is always proven right by the young ones apologizing to him the next day as he picks him up from the kindergarten. It’s easy to just spoil and say yes to the little boy’s wishes but Yifan knows without discipline, Sehun wouldn’t learn the reality of life, wherein you can’t everything you wanted, as he grows up.

All of these happenings and thoughts made him forget about the incident that happened in Yixing’s house two weeks ago and Yixing being the understanding friend never asked why did he abruptly left on that day.

Thus, it is understandable to fall into the normality of life and thinking this week will go smoothly too. However it seems that he jinxed it because after lunch, he suddenly received a call from Sehun’s kindergarten teacher saying that Sehun has caught on a high fever, asking him to come pick him up.

He almost dropped his handphone upon hearing the news but he managed to calm himself down as this is not the right time to panic since his baby needs him.

He thanked the teacher and tells him that he will be there by around fifteen minutes. He quickly tells his boss that he needs to go off early because his son was sick and luckily for him, his boss is a very understanding man and lets him to go off work early today.

He was driving so fast that he almost crashed another car which he didn’t, thus, it only took him ten minutes to arrive at Sehun’s kindergarten.

His heart ached painfully when he saw his baby being carried by the male teacher as they wait for him. He takes Sehun from the male teacher’s arm and thanked him for his help.

He then asked for a nearby clinic around because it would take quite a time to go to Sehun’s usual doctor and he wanted his baby to be checked as soon as possible as he quite worries about his baby who’s sweating quite a lot.

Looks like luck was on his side because there was indeed a newly opened clinic and the doctor seemed to be excellent. He thanked the teacher again before driving off from there in full speed.

 


 

Yifan looks at his right side. Sehun’s eyes are still close, his pale face have turned red. He combs Sehun’s soft hair gently. He then pushes Sehun’s bangs from his forehead, and he can feel that Sehun’s forehead is really hot!

Yifan is on the edge of crying. He suddenly feels so useless right now. Why didn’t he realize it sooner that Sehun was having fever?

Not only that, he had been waiting for 15 minutes, still not having their turn. He was this close to losing his limit. If it’s up to him, he would’ve just barged inside the doctor’s room.

“Wu Sehun.” A gentle voice wake Yifan on his thoughts. The nurse met Yifan’s eyes, and she immediately offers a small smile to Yifan.

A relieved sigh escaped from Yifan’s lips. Finally! He then stares at his baby again. He felt bad since he has to wake Sehun. Poor baby…

“Sehunnie baby…wake up…” Yifan whispers gently, but there’s no response from his baby.

Yifan gently caresses Sehun’s hair, hoping that his baby will wake up. However, the situation ended up the same. Sehun still sleeps just like before. No movements that indicated that he will wake up from his sleep.

“Baby, please wake up. We’re going to meet doctor now.”

Sehun moves a little. He open his eyes slowly and a pair of red eyes staring at Yifan’s face.

“Mama…hurts…” Sehun whines.  A small tear then slowly drips down from his eyes.

Yifan’s heart aches again as he watches the tears. His baby must be in pain right now. If only he could, he wants to replace his baby, and let him be the one to feel the pain, but he couldn’t. The only thing he can do is pray for his baby that his condition will get better.

“Don’t cry, baby. You’ll get better after seeing doctor.” Yifan coax Sehun with his soft voice.

“Really?” Sehun says weakly.

“Yes, baby. After you get better, I promise that I’ll bring you to the mall, and you can buy anything that you want.” Yifan purposely masked his voice so he’ll be able to coax his beloved baby.

“Wu Sehun.”

Sehun’s name has been call once again. The nurse’s voice still sounded very soft, but this time there is a little firmness inside it. Maybe she didn’t want the doctor wait too long for their presence or she didn’t want the pair of mother and daughter who was sitting at the end of the room to keep waiting for their turn.

“Thank you, miss.” Yifan said with a soft smile on his lips when he reach the door.

“You’re welcome.” The nurse replied once again in her soft voice.

 


 

Yifan gently knocks the door with a sign ‘Dr. Kim Joonmyun’ on top of it. The name Kim Joonmyun was quite familiar to him like he had heard it before but he wasn’t able to recall it as his mind are full with his baby’s well being right now.

But it wasn’t Sehun’s health that’s making him anxious, he’s sure that there’s something more on this day that he suddenly felt very nervous. He quickly passes off this feeling by thinking that he was just worried about his baby as he knocks the door gently.

“Come in.”

He drops his hand upon the recognition of the doctor’s voice. He finally realizes why the name Kim Joonmyun seemed so familiar to him. It was Suho’s real name!

Dammit, why didn’t he realized earlier? Now he’s stuck as he didn’t know what to do. Part of him just wants to run from this clinic since he didn’t want to meet Suho again but another part of him...he stares at Sehun whose face turned redder than before while his sweat keeps on flowing down from his forehead.

He shouldn’t be this selfish. He needs to think about his baby who is very sick right now and in deep need for a treatment.

He takes a deep breath before stepping inside the room while carrying Sehun within his both arms.


 

Suho raises his head, and his expression turns into shock when he recognized the occupants in his room. Only then he saw the name on his document.

It was a shocked Suho in his pristine white lab coat that welcomes Yifan upon full entry in the room. He mentally curses after seeing Suho’s appearance. He should worry for his baby and shouldn’t be thinking about how professional and good looking Suho is who’s wearing spectacles and holding Sehun’s information sheet by the table. The appearance just made Yifan’s knee gone weak and he couldn't understand why did he reacted like this.

“Yifan-ssi? What is wrong with Sehun?”

Yifan then offered a bitter smile to Joonmyun.

“I think he had caught a fever. His teacher called me after lunch to tell me that Sehun was having fever. I immediately went to pick him up and bring him here.”

“Sit down first, Yifan. Let me check on Sehun first to determine his sickness. It must be just an ordinary fever.”

Yifan, being the polite man he was, immediately expresses his thanks after he sits down on the chair beside the desk. Clearly his politeness is a shock to Suho who stared at him momentarily in disbelief.

Sehun suddenly cries, shocking both of them. Yifan quickly wipes the tears from his eyes then kisses his baby’s cheek gently.

“Shh…please don’t cry, baby. Uncle Suho is going to check you now so that you can get better. Please don’t cry anymore.” Yifan urges in his soft voice still caressing Sehun’s hair.

“Sehunnie…is…scared…”

“I’m here, isn’t it? What do you fear of? Don’t cry, okay? Don’t you feel embarrassed that Uncle Suho is watching you right now? Wouldn’t it be more embarrassing if Tao knew about this too?”

Just listening to Yifan makes Suho’s lips curl into a small smile. Despite Yifan being cold to him all the time, Yifan was indeed a very good parent.

“Come here, baby. Don’t you trust Uncle Suho?” Now it was Suho’s turn to act his role. From the beginning, he can see Sehun looking a bit scared.

Yifan raises his head after he hears Suho’s words. Why must Suho address Sehun as ‘baby’? Why can’t he just call Sehun by his name? Calm down, Yifan. This isn’t the time to get angry and start another argument with this gremlin. Sehun’s well being is much important.

“Baby, please don’t be stubborn. Let Uncle Suho check on you, okay?”

Sehun nodded his head. Suho stands up from the chair. He takes Sehun from Yifan’s arms then carries him to the single bed. He gently puts Sehun down on the bed before pressing the stethoscope on Sehun’s chest.

Yifan can only watch as Suho inspects his baby.

“Mama…” Sehun suddenly calls out for his mama.

Yifan quickly stands up from the chair and makes way towards the bed.

“So how is Sehun?” Yifan quickly asks, wanting to know his baby’s condition.

“Looks like Sehun has been infected with chickenpox.”

“C-chicken pox?”

“Yes, chicken pox. Look at these red spots on both of his arm.” Suho says as he shows Yifan both of Sehun’s arm.

“I didn’t realize it.”

“He never had chickenpox before?”

Yifan shakes his head.

“I thought so because most people only gets chickenpox once.”

“Would he be okay?”

“It does takes time for him to heal compared to normal fever but aside from that it doesn’t endanger his life. So you don’t have to worry. Still, I need to give him injection first. Would that be okay for you?”

The moment the word ‘injection’ comes out from Suho’s lips, Sehun starts crying again. This time louder than before.

A small sigh then escapes from Yifan’s lips, “You have your answer, doctor. Sehun’s always been scared of needle so do Sehun really need to take that injection?”

“I’m sorry, Yifan-ssi. This is for Sehun’s own good.”

“I understand. Just give me a minute.”

Yifan bends down a little. His baby’s still crying and there is mucus dripping down from his nose. He takes out his handkerchief to wipe it off.

“Sehun, baby, stop crying, okay?”

“But...mama...uncle Suho wants to shot Sehunnie with needle…”

“Of course he wouldn’t do that because I wouldn’t allow it.”

Suho wants to object, but Yifan quickly raises his hand to stop him.

“But… I wonder what would Tao think about this?” he continues.

The mere mention of his best friend’s name had made Sehun stop crying while Suho raises up his eyebrows, wondering what is Yifan planning to do.

“I bet he must be scared of needles too. If he knows that you have bravely take the injection, he will definitely think you as his hero.”

“Taotao will think Sehunnie as hero?”

“Yes, he will. Not only that, he will even kiss your oo.”

Sehun’s eyes glinted a little. He then turns to face Suho.

“Uncle Suho, Sehunnie is ready. You can inject Sehunnie anytime”

“O-okay, sure. Nurse Choi, please prepare the injection.”

Yifan almost chuckle when he saw how enthusiastic Sehun was and how he sits very calmly as Suho injects him with the needle. Tao indeed changes Sehun’s behavior quite a lot. Before this, Sehun would throw tantrum when the doctor wants to inject him and he was having hard time to persuade Sehun to take the injection.

“Okay, done.”

“Does that mean we can leave now?”

“Not yet. Nurse Choi, can you bring this boy outside first? I still need to speak privately with his parent.”

“Yes, doctor.”

Nurse Choi gently drags Sehun out from the room, leaving Yifan alone with Suho. He begins to worry as he thinks Sehun was the sole reason why Suho wants to talk privately with him.

“You don’t have to worry about Sehun. He’s going to be fine. It was you that weren’t going to be fine if I wouldn’t treat you right now.”

Suho’s soft voice interrupts his thought. Does the guy has some kind of superpower? How does he knew what was he thinking? And what does he meant by that?

“What do you mean? I wasn’t sick.” Yifan asks, scrunching his eyebrows.

“Are you really that good in withholding the pain? How could you not realize that you have sprained your ankle?” Suho said in the stern voice of his.

Now that Suho mention it, he begins to feel pain on his right ankle. He must’ve had sprained it when he gets down too fast from his car just now.

“Can you sit down and let me check your ankle?”

Yifan sighs. He just nods his head and follows whatever the doctor wanted him to do. Suho asks Yifan to sit down on the bed. Yifan’s heart just can’t stop pounding inside his chest when Suho’s soft hand touches his ankle.

“I need to apologize about that incident that happened two weeks ago. I really didn’t meant to pull you that hard.”

“I-It’s okay. I’ve already forgotten about it.”

“I had to listen to your reason and understand why you’re not quite fond of me, but now it is your turn to listen to me.”

The nerve of this man. Just when I was about to think nicely about you.

“Fine.” Yifan grumbles a little.

“The reason why I want us to get along wasn’t because your face was the same as your brother or I was planning to replace you with your brother. I just don’t want things getting too awkward between us especially you and your son are getting close to Yixing and his husband. As you can see, I’m their best friend. Because of this, it is unavoidable that we may bump to each other more often in the future. Do you really want to put both of them in tight place because of us?”

Yifan let out a small ‘ahh’ when Suho suddenly twist his ankle. He quickly covers his mouth in embarrassment.

“Sorry about that. I tried to distract you, but it seems it doesn’t working. That will be it.You can’t carry any heavy things for three days if you don’t want your injury getting worse.” Suho said as he pulled down Yifan’s leg pants to its original place. “I hope you will think about what I said. We don’t necessarily have to be friends if it is too much for you.”

Why does Suho has to be so good with his words? It is making him unable to think of another reason why he wanted to avoid him. He does enjoy being friends with Yixing since Lu’s family was from the same country as him which makes him very comfortable to befriend him. Thus, he really doesn’t want just because of his big secret that he has to let go a very good friend.

“Fine, I’ll think about it. However, I can’t promise you anything.”

Suho then offers a small smile to Yifan making Yifan’s heart skip a bit.

“That’s fine with me. Oh...one thing, please call your husband to pick you and Sehun.”

Suho then walks back to his desk so that he could write the medicine prescription for Sehun.

“Husband?”

Suho stares back at Yifan who’s still sitting on the bed.

“Yes, husband. You better call him now since it is very clear you can’t drive with your sprained ankle. Just leave your car here. You can come take it back once your ankle heals.”

“But, I don’t have husband. I’m a single parent.”

Yifan doesn’t feel lying about his status since there is a chance Yixing may accidentally expose it in the future. Thus, it would be better for him to be honest about his status now.

Suho dropped his pen, “Y-you aren’t married? Were you divorce or…”

“My personal life really doesn’t concern you, doctor. I can call taxi to pick us from here.”

“You should take care of yourself, Yifan-ssi. I don’t want your ankle injury getting worse.”

“Thank you for concern, doctor. If you don’t have anything else to say, then I’ll take my leave. Goodbye.”

A loud slam of door can be heard after that. Suho still sits there staring at the door as he tries to process the information that he get just now. Unbeknownst to him, his lips slowly forms into a smile.

 


 

That day, for whole evening, Suho was smiling and sometimes be grinning like a mad man. Not only that, he even starts humming his favourite songs when he wasn’t attending any patients. Both of his nurse who saw this, couldn’t help from wondering what is wrong with their employer.


Author's note: Another update from me. I hope all of you will like this chapter