Chapter Twenty

Love Between Us

 

Luhan sighs heavily. It seems that Suho’s still mad at him because of their argument. He do wants to apologize to Suho in order to save their friendship, but the words kind of stuck at his tongue; turning the atmosphere of the whole ride to his home a really awkward and suffocating one. Maybe he should have let Suho calm down first before he tries to talk to him again.

“Ahh… you’re back.” He’s too engrossed of the situation that he hadn’t realized he’d walked towards their house with Yixing opening the door widely.

Just seeing his husband’s serene face makes Luhan forget about everything.

“You must be tired. Let me go get you a drink”

“It is okay, baobei. I’m not…”

Luhan hasn’t able to finish his refusal as Yixing already went to the kitchen. He takes off his coat and hangs it on the coat rack before heading towards the living room. He then sits down on the sofa heavily, tipping his head as he releases every stress from his body with a deep sigh.

“Here’s your tea.” Yixing’s soft voice snaps him from his dark bubble, immediately reaching for the tea to be set aside by the coffee table.

“Thank you, Baobei.” Luhan pats the spot beside him as he motions for Yixing to sit in which the pregnant male immediately does. He giggles as Luhan quickly shapes his arm around his waist.

“Did our son cried a lot?” Luhan inquires before taking a sip from his tea.

“Yes, he did. He’s scared that Sehun is going to die and I kept on telling that Sehun wouldn’t, but he’s still crying non-stop. I’ve only managed to put him to sleep an hour ago because he was too tired of crying.”

“If I have some spare time tomorrow, then we can go visit Sehun.” Luhan finds his comfort on Yixing’s neck as he unconsciously breathes in his husband’s scent as some kind of stress reliever. “Did Tao tell you how Sehun fall from the tree?”

Yixing suddenly squeaks in delight making Luhan groan. “Yes, he did. You wouldn’t believe what actually had happen. So it turned out that Candy, the puppy we’ve bought for Tao, had climb the tree because she was overwhelmed by guests.”

“Candy? Seriously? Why our son can’t find a better name?”

Yixing playfully hits Luhan’s arm. “Please stop judging our son’s choice. He’s just still five years old. And let me finish first.”

Luhan apologizes as he mutters “Go on, Baobei” while seeking his husbands warmth again.

“As I was saying, Candy had climb the tree and she doesn’t know how to get down. So Sehun wants to act like a hero in front of Tao and had climbed the tree to bring her down. However, the branch suddenly breaks and Sehun ends up falling down from the tree. Isn’t it cute? It was such a romantic gesture.” Yixing narrates dreamily and Luhan can picture his husband making heart eyes without looking at him.

“Are you serious, Baobei? How could that be romantic?”

“Have you forgotten that you used to climb the tree and serenade love songs to me every night when I was still at high school?”

Luhan rolled his eyes,  “Yeah, until I fell down and ended up with a broken leg. Not only that, I had to be put in bedrest and cannot play soccer for three months. Yes, I would like to forget about it.”

“But… It was the very reason why I decide to stop teasing you and decided to give you a chance.” Yixing reasons as he gives a meaningful look to his husband that Luhan swear had melted every stress he has absorbed.

“Aww… Baobei. You should have told me earlier. I thought that I had failed my mission to charm you.”

Yixing flickers his husband’s forehead, “You’re so stupid. Don’t you ever thought of why I suddenly accepted you to become your boyfriend when I was playing so hard to get before the whole you ‘fall down from the tree’ incident?”

“Maybe I was too happy that you finally accepted my confession that I didn’t think much of it.” Luhan grins wildly which turns into a scowl as they both heard a beep from his hand phone.

“Fool. Oh… Suho-ge messaged me. He asked me why did I told you about him staring at Yifan quite a lot. What had happen?”

Nothing to hide from his husband, a small sigh then escapes from Luhan’s lips, “I confront him about it and he got angry because of it.”

“Han, the reason why I told you because we vow to never keep secrets from each other, not for you to confront him about this matter.”

“You weren’t there, Baobei.” Luhan softly reasons as he holds his husband’s hands, “They’ve reached the point where they hold each other’s hands and the way Suho stares at Yifan… I just have to do something about it. I can’t let my best friend make a big mistake in his life that he’ll regret later on.”

“I understand that you care about Suho-ge. I am, too.” Yixing squeezes Luhan’s hands as if lecturing a small child softly, “But, Suho-ge is an adult too and I believe that he knows what he is doing.”

“Are you saying we should just let him?”

“For now. If it really is getting out of hand, only then we can interfere, so you, impulsive man, better apologize him.”

Having a talk with his husband clearly soothe his conflicted soul, only now relishing at Yixing warm hug to which he leans for more.

“You’re right, Baobei. I’ll apologize to him tomorrow morning.”

 


Yifan rubs his eyes. He then turns to look at Sehun who seems still sleeping peacefully at his bed. Maybe he should take this chance to go back their apartment and change into fresh clothes before Sehun wakes up.

He’s about to get up from the sofa when he finally notice the black coat that covers his body. At first, he wonders who this coat belongs to? Since it couldn’t belong to the doctors or nurses, something clicks into his mind.

He vividly recalls Suho wearing the same coat yesterday. Could it be he’s the one who used the jacket to cover his body? He unconsciously brings the coat to his nose and inhales the scent the lingers on the jacket.

His perfume smells nice. I wondered what kind of perfume he’s using?

Yifan was too engrossed smelling the coat that he didn’t realize the door was open and Suho had stepped into the room.

“Yifan-ssi, what are you doing?”

Yifan yelps, jumping in place out of shock. His mind couldn’t stop from thinking that ‘Has he caught me smelling his coat?’ ‘Why do I keep on embarrassing myself in front of him?’

“Yifan-ssi, are you okay?” Suho asked as he waves his hand in front of Yifan’s face in attempt to catch the taller’s attention to which he successfully gained as Yifan blinks at him, even avoiding his eyes as he looks up at him.

“I’m perfectly fine. I was just thinking about something.” Yifan lied since there is no way that he is going to confess the truth to Suho, “Does this coat belongs to you?” He feigns innocence as he raises the black coat in his hand

“Yes, it’s indeed mine. You’ve had fallen into deep sleep last night, and I don’t want to wake you up. But at the same time, I don’t want you to get cold which is why I used my coat to cover your body.” Suho explains in detail, leaving Yifan;s mouth turning into an ‘o’ shape.

“Ohh.. t-thank you.” Yifan stutters a little. He mentally curses for behaving like a nervous wreck in front of Suho.

“Are you ready to go?”

Yifan raises his brows as he watches Suho checking up Sehun’s condition, “Go exactly where?”

“We’ll going to eat breakfast first before I send you home to change your clothes.”

“But…”

Yifan then glances at Sehun to which Suho had noticed. He understands that the younger must be hesitating to leave his son alone.

“You don’t have to worry, Yifan-ssi. There are doctors and nurses here.” Suho assures before turning back to approach the still sceptical younger, “Sehun will be alright and he’s still in deep sleep. As long as we come back before Sehun woke up, it’ll be fine.”

“Still....”

Suho quickly cut-off Yifan’s words, “You didn’t eat anything since last night. What if you get sick later on? Who’s going to take care of Sehun?” He reprimands sharply making Yifan bow his head in defeat.

“I suppose you’re right. Lets go now.”

“Good.”

Yifan gets up from the sofa. He then hands over the black coat to its owner, “Your coat.”

“Ahh… I forget about that. Thank you.” Suho mutters his thanks as he offers a small smile to Yifan which made his heart skip a bit.

“We should go now. I-I want to come back here before my son woke up.”

Yifan quickly walks out from the room without waiting for Suho who’s secretly watches his every move. Suho now wonders what’s wrong Yifan. He looks at Sehun one more time before he walk out from the room, closing the door gently.

 


Both of them decided to eat breakfast at McDonalds that was nearby to Yifan’s apartment building and they even ordered the same thing, pancakes with a hot cup of coffee.

“Why did you said I was cute yesterday?” Yifan straight away asked the question that had been bothering him since yesterday.

Suho chokes on his coffee,“What?”

“Have you hit your head on your way home yesterday or something? Didn’t you remember what did you said to me before Luhan-ge interrupt us?”

The old Yifan is back. Suho thought. He actually prefers this version of Yifan because he knows this is the real Yifan, although the younger may come out rude sometimes.

“I didn’t. I was hoping that you’ll forget about it.”

“Sorry to disappoint you, my memory’s too sharp to let it slide. So now talk.” Yifan demanded as he points the fork towards the nervous man.

There’s definitely something wrong with him. Suho tries to shake the feeling by shrugging that makes Yifan’s glare intensify. Now instead of feeling threatened by the fork pointed at him, Suho still thinks that Yifan looked y with his serious expression.

“I was just complimenting you. And I don’t give out compliments that easily.”

It is was partly a lie because Suho couldn’t tell the truth that he was actually too caught up by the moment that he almost confessed something. The younger definitely will hate him more if he’ll knew that. It’ll better for him to keep it as secret for now.

Yifan scoffs, obviously not having any of Suho’s lies, “Seriously? You think I’ll believe that?

“Suit yourself. I’m not forcing you to believe me.” Suho evaded coolly, siping now on his coffee as he almost cry out of survival from Yifan’s seering and daunting looks.

Yifan was about to let out another piece of his mind to Suho, however the fact that he’s still in debt with Suho for helping him yesterday made him back off a little bit.

“I didn’t get the chance to properly thank you for helping Sehun and I yesterday.” Yifan opened making Suho listened more attentively, “I was too panicking yesterday and I even had an asthma attack. I would have died if not because of you.”

Suho puts down his cup, “It wasn’t nothing, Yifan-ssi. I’m a doctor. It is my duty to save people’s life. How long had you have an asthma?”

“Since I was baby. I was the weaker twin.” Yifan hides his vulnerability into sharp scoffs to which the other man had sensed, “My childhood memory was full of me going in out hospital because of it. I still can remember that I had to use gas mask in order for me the breathe while my mom’s sitting beside me, crying a lot seeing one of his son suffering.”

“I’m sorry, Yifan-ssi. I didn’t mean to remind you of that painful memory.”

Yifan swats his hands in the air, “It is fine. That memory will always be part of my life. I have to learn to accept it and move on. My asthma isn't that severe once I entered high school. I just have to make sure not to do extraordinary exercise and I need to make sure that I have my inhaler all the time.”

“It never occured to me that you’ve had asthma. Jiaheng didn’t talk much about you aside both of your parents.”

It was too late for Suho to stop his mouth mentioning Yifan’s twin as Yifan smiles sadly with the memory, “I don’t blame him for not talking much about me. Our relationship wasn’t as close as before. We’ve even had this huge fight before he moved in to live with you. We did occasionally asked each other about how life’s going but that’s all.”

“Why did you fight?” Suho couldn’t stop inquiring as this maybe the only time Yifan will open up to him, “He only stated that both of you were fighting and he couldn’t stand to live with his control freak twin. His words, not mine.”

“You’re part of the reason.”

“Me?” Suho asked in disbelief as he points to himself.

“I didn’t like him having boyfriend before finishing college. I just want him to focus on his studies first. As long as he can graduate from college, I wouldn’t care about his personal life anymore. And he dares to call me control freak.” Yifan then angrily grip his fork as his face turned redder due the anger that he’s currently having right now.

“I apologize again. I seriously didn’t meant to bring that up. That explained why you hated me so much.” Yifan watches the older bow his head on remorse that made him scoff too hard.

“That wasn’t the real reason.” Suho looks up seeing that Yifan’s watching a family outside the glass window, “It was because I thought you’re cheating on my Ge.”

Suho sighs, a little bit desperate to clear his name on Yifan’s memory “And I already explained to you that it never happened. I love Jiaheng too much. The girl that he saw that day was my cousin and it’s normal for my to say ‘I love you’s to my family members all the time.”

“You were indeed planning to propose him, huh?”

“Of course.” The underlying sorrow and sadness managed Yifan to look back to the older and he, too, felt the remorse as Suho stares now on his coffee emptily, “I was getting the offer to move back to Korea and I was planning to bring him with me. It never occured to me that…”

Yifan clicked his tongue in annoyance when he saw the tears welling inside Suho’s eyes. He then took the tissue and hands it over.

“Wipe off your tears. People might going to think that I’m bullying you.”

“Sorry about that.” Suho smiled a little as he uses the tissue to wipe his tears.

“Are you going to keep saying sorry all the times?”

“Sor…” Suho stops his words when Yifan glared at him. He then scratch his cheeks, “I never thought that we can sit here having normal conversation.”

“I actually put a lot of thoughts about your words and you have help and save my life and my child’s yesterday. That’s when I thought, ‘maybe, you weren’t that bad’. So, I was thinking to give you a chance.”

Suho can positively feel weird sensations of happiness bubbling throughout his system, as if washing away the sadness that had overtook him minutes ago “I’m happy to hear that.”

He can’t help but to smile wildly but he froze as Yifan pointed his fork towards him again. Maybe he had celebrated much too early.

“But,” Yifan punctuates a lot more intimidating “don’t ever expect us to become friends. I’ll only try to act civil towards you.”

“It is fine with me. I just don’t want to have bad blood between us.” Suho smiles out of generosity which Yifan felt like being being attacked. He quickly finishes his last piece still keeping his stoic expression trying to hide the frustration of ogling at the elder for many times in the past hour. Maybe it’s a wrong move of leaning more closer to the elder’s face.

“Eat your pancake. I need to stop at my apartment first before going back to hospital.”

“Alright.” Suho beamed, happy to eat their meal in the midst of the silent atmosphere the both of them feels comfort with.

Suho couldn’t stop himself from smiling, grinning like an idiot even. Although he and Yifan aren’t going to be friends (yet), at least their relationship is heading to a good start.


Author's note: Please leave down a comments. The more comment I get, the more faster I update this story. hehehe