Chapter Nineteen

Love Between Us

Yifan couldn’t even wait for Yixing to finish explaining what had actually happen as he quickly dashes towards the backyard. He didn’t care that he had bumped into few people in the party because the only thing inside his mind right now is his precious baby.

He abruptly stopped his steps and his blood run cold when he saw Sehun lying lifelessly on the ground. There is blood coming out from his forehead to which Luhan tried his best to stop the bleeding; Tao on the other hand, who standing still shocked beside his father, was crying quite pitifully.

With everything happening so fast yet blurry, with the noises being muted and his heartbeat couldn’t be felt anymore, Yifan was hyperventilating, and he knew it.

His body suddenly loses its balance and he would have fall down into the ground if not for the pair of arms that grabbed his body.

“Get a hold of yourself, Yifan-ssi. We need to bring Sehun to hospital.” A soft voice whispered in his ear whom he recognizes the voice too well.

When did he get here?

“I-I…”

Suho was taken aback when he saw tears flowing out from Yifan’s eyes.

“Yifan-ssi, please don’t cry. Nothing bad is going to happen to Sehun.” Suho said in a soft voice, sensing that the other was on the verge of breaking down.

However, Yifan was too far gone because he started to sob harder than before making Suho panic as he didn’t know what else he should say to make the younger stop from crying and just seeing the fat tears coming out from the tall, blonde man makes his heart ache painfully.

He need to do something immediately.

“Just wait here for a minute.”

Suho run towards Luhan. He gives his car keys to Luhan and ordered Luhan to bring Sehun to his car. Luhan looked a bit shocked by Suho’s stern tone, but he didn’t comment about it. Luhan told Tao to go his mama and wait at home while the three of them bring Sehun to the hospital. He then carries Sehun in his arms towards Suho’s car.

Suho then runs back to Yifan when he saw Luhan finally climbed inside his car.

“Come on, let us go now.” Suho said. However, Yifan’s still standing there with small sobs escaping from his lips.

Suho sighed. He hesitantly puts his hands on top of Yifan’s shoulder and gently shakes Yifan’s body.

“Yifan, please get a hold of yourself. You need to be strong for Sehun’s sake.”

Only then, Yifan snapped out from his trance. His mind suddenly shut down on its own the moment he saw the blood coming out from Sehun’s head. After that, everything had become blurred to him. He didn’t even realize that he’s been crying.

“Are you okay now? We really need to go now.”

“Go where?”

“Bring Sehun to the hospital. Come, lets go. Luhan already carried Sehun into my car.”

Yifan could only nod his head as he didn’t have any strength to talk as of the moment.

Suho sighed when he saw Yifan’s weakened state. He takes out his handkerchief and used it to wipe off the tears from Yifan’s eyes.

Yifan jumped in shock because of Suho’s gesture, yet he did nothing to stop Suho. He even let Suho grab his hand and drag him towards his car.

Suho’s car then drive off from there.

 


 

Suho carries Sehun towards the emergency ward. One of the doctors in charge is his junior during his residency. His junior quickly took Sehun’s body from his arms and asked the three to wait outside while they perform check ups on Sehun.

The three of them then sits down on the bench. Suho glances at Yifan who’s silently crying all the way from Luhan’s house to the waiting room. He yelped when Luhan elbowed his stomach. He then turned to glare at his best friend to which Luhan only ignores and gestured to make Yifan stop crying.

He lets out a defeated sigh before turning back to face Yifan.

“Yifan-ssi, you can stop crying right now. Sehun is in good hands. Dr. Choi is my junior and he is very good at his work.”

“I-I…”

Yifan’s words stuck in his throat. He coughs and suddenly he feels like he can’t breathe. He rubs his chest using his right hand while his other hand starts to search for his pocket.

“Yifan-ssi, are you okay?” Suho worriedly asked when he saw Yifan’s face had turned pale.

“I...I can’t breathe…I can’t find my inhaler.” Yifan answered.

“Inhaler? You have asthma?”

Yifan nodded which only rugged his breathing even more. He’s starting to feel fainting. He’s getting short of breath and felt as if his world was ending.

“Hyung, take my car key and help Yifan-ssi to search for his inhaler. It may have fall down in my car.”

“Okay.”

Luhan grabbed Suho’s car keys before he runs off. Suho then switched back his attention to Yifan. He can see that Yifan is getting paler as seconds pass by. As a doctor, he was trained what to do when faced in this kind of situation which explains why he suddenly took hold of Yifan’s hand.

Yifan was stunned by Suho’s action. He feel that his throat is getting tighten. He tried to pull his hand, but Suho only tightened his grip.

“Please look at me, Yifan-ssi.”

Yifan choked a little when his eyes meet with Suho’s beautiful orbs. Luckily for him, Suho thinks that the reason was because of his asthma attack.

“Follow my instructions. Take a deep breath and release it slowly.” Suho watched as Yifan takes a deep breath before releasing it slowly. “Let’s try it again. Inhale and breath. Again. Inhale and breath. Good job.”

Yifan couldn’t understand why does he felt proud and happy after Suho compliment him, as if he’s not in the verge of dying. Suho quietly gestures for Yifan to continue the process until Suho notices the younger’s color returning.

Yifan’s a little bit light headed but nonetheless, he knows he’ll be forever in debt of the angel staring with his tantalizing eyes who’s holding him like some kind if a fragile vessel.

“Do you feel much better now, Yifan-ssi?”

“You have a pair of beautiful eyes.” Yifan suddenly said.

Even though taken aback, Suho couldn’t stop himself from grinning as he heard the unexpected confession.

“Well, thank you for your compliment.”

“Oh god, did I say it aloud?”

“Yes, you just did.”

In horror, Yifan quickly covered his mouth using his hand, closing his eyes as he pretends he’s still suffering from his panic attacks. He’s silently cursing as he visualizes digging a hole right now and burying himself inside it. He didn’t meant to actually say it aloud. How is he going to face Suho after this?

“You’re so cute.”

Yifan dropped his hands in shock, “Did you just said I was cute?” he asked with bewilderment written all over his face.

Suho now grabs both of Yifan’s hand to which Yifan swears will be his death, “I did. Yifan-ssi, I…”

“What both of you are doing?” Luhan, who’s evidently from running due to the rugged breathing and Yifan’s inhaler on his hand asked.

Yifan quickly pulls his hands from Suho’s grip while Suho ended up clearing his throat. Luhan narrowed his eyes at Suho before passing Yifan’s inhaler to him.

“Thank you, Luhan-ssi.”

“Drop the formalities and call me ge.”

“Okay, Ge.”

Yifan let out a relieved sigh after he used the inhaler. He finally can breathe smoothly again. It has been such a long time since he’d suffered from an asthma attack. He would have died if he didn’t get his inhaler in time. Fortunately, Suho was with him. Talking about Suho, he then sneak a glance at the man who’s also looking a him that made him quickly turned away as their eyes met.

What does he actually want to say before Luhan-ge interrupt us?

“Who is Wu Sehun’s family member?”

Yifan stand up from the bench and run towards Dr. Choi.

“I’m his parent. Is he okay?”

Dr. Choi flashes a smile to Yifan, “He is fine. We have stopped the bleeding and stitched the cut on his forehead. Luckily the cut wasn’t that deep, but he still need to stay at the hospital for two days in case of concussion.”

“I’m very relieved to hear that. Can I visit my son now?”

“Please wait for another five minutes. We need to transfer him to the ward first.” Yifan released the breath he’s been holding unconsciously while Luhan instantly updated his family upon hearing the news.

“Sure, I understand, doctor. And thank you for saving my son.”

“I just doing my job. There is no need to thank me.”

Dr. Choi then walks away, leaving the three people behind. Suho takes it as the nice time to approach Yifan and guide him to the chairs as the taller’s worries, albeit lessened down, is still evident. He Yifan’s back as a test whether he’ll be shrugged but seeing the other man unconsciously lean down to the touch, Suho continues to rub it more.

“See, I did tell you that you don’t have to worry. Aren’t you happy that Sehun is fine now?”

“I am and thank you.” Yifan replies with a smile on his lips.

Suho’s heart starts to pound wildly in his chest. He was about to open his mouth to say something, but his best friend interrupts him by pulling his elbow.

“Accompany me to washroom now.”

“What? Hyung, you can go by your own.’

Luhan ignores him and continues to drag him to the washroom. He pushed Suho inside before he closes the door behind him.

“What with the rough treatment?” Suho asked as he dusts off his shirt.

“I thought Yixing was lying when he said you’re staring at Yifan quite a lot.”

“Oh my god! He told you that? He supposed to keep that as a secret between us.” Suho mumbled childly as he feels betrayed by a friend.

“We’re married. We never keep secrets from each other. And I’m glad that he told me so that I can stop you from doing something stupid.”

Suho felt the twitch in his ears as he straightened to face Luhan “What are you talking about?”

“Look, I will not stop you if you want to befriend Yifan. I just hope that you will not use Yifan as a rebound or fallback or whatever since he’s Jiaheng’s twin and both of them are sharing the same face.” Luhan calmly supplies as he senses the younger’s disbelief mirrored by the scrunch of his face.

“Why do you and Yixing keep thinking that? Especially coming from you, how could you, hyung? We’re best friends. You know my capabilities and you of all people should understand me better than anybody. Am I that low to use Yifan as a rebound? So what Jiaheng and Yifan are twins and shares the same face? Yifan’s definitely not Jiaheng. Both of them are polar opposite.”  

“I-”

“Stay out from my personal life, hyung. I know what I’m doing.” Suho cautioned before he stomps out from the washroom angrily, leaving Luhan quite shakened.

A loud slam of door can be heard after that.

Luhan shakes his head. He didn’t mean to hurt his best friend’s feelings, but he really didn’t want Suho to make a big mistake in his life. He could only hope that Suho meant what he said.

 


 

“Mama…”

Yifan who was sitting on the sofa provided while reading magazine, quickly run towards his baby upon hearing his baby called for him.

“How are you feeling, baby? Do you feel pain anywhere?”

“No. Where is this? This isn’t Sehunnie’s bedroom.”

“You’re at hospital. You fall down from tree and cut your forehead. Doctor had to stitched the cut. It’ll leave scar on your forehead.”

Sehun’s eyes grew wider, “Does this mean Sehunnie going to become ugly after this?”

Yifan chuckles, “It will never happen. It is just a small scar. You can cover it with your bangs.” Sehun made a little space and gestures for his Mama to sit beside him on his bed. “So why did you climb the tree?”

“Sehunnie wanted to save Candy. She climbed the tree and doesn’t know how to get down.”

“Who is Candy?”

“Tao’s new puppy. He got it from Uncle Luhan and Uncle Yixing as a birthday present.”

“I see. Still, you shouldn’t climb the tree on your own. You should call me or Tao’s parents.”

“Sehunnie is sorry, mama.” Sehun timidly said as he pulled the hem of his blanket.

“I’m not mad. I’m only worried about you, baby. You’re so important to me. How can I let anything bad happen to you?” Yifan said as he run his fingers through Sehun’s hair.

“Mama is important to Sehunnie too.” Sehun cheekily replies before hugging his mama.

Yifan smiles as he wraps his arm around Sehun’s small body. There was a moment of silence before Sehun’s yawning interrupt the atmosphere.

“Go back to sleep, baby. You must be very tired.”

Yifan gently pushes Sehun to lay back down. He then pulls the blanket to cover the child’s body as little hands grab his arms.

“Will mama be here? Sehunnie is scared being alone here.”

“Of course. I’ll always be beside you. I’m not going to leave you behind.” Yifan leans in and kisses Sehun’s forehead, “Now, sleep.”

“Mama, can Sehunnie ask a question first?”

“What it is, baby?”

“Can Sehunnie marry Taozi when Sehunnie grow up?”

Yifan couldn’t stop himself from laughing upon hearing Sehun’s innocent question. He already knows from the beginning that Sehun have developed a crush towards Tao, but he just never expected that Sehun had plans to marry Tao when they both become adults. He wonders what Yixing will think about this once he tells Yixing about Sehun’s so called ambition.

“Mama, why are you laughing? It is not funny. Sehunnie really wants to marry Tao.” Sehun complains as he folded his arms across his chest with a small pout on his lips.

Yifan shakes his head, “Nothing. I’m happy to have Taozi as my son-in-law. I had answered your question. Sleep now, it is getting late. Goodnight, baby.”

“Okay. Goodnight, mama.” Sehun kisses his mama’s cheek before he closes his eyes.

Yifan chuckles softly, seeing how fast Sehun had fallen asleep. It is either because of the medication or Sehun was tired because of today’s ordeal. Him, too, was very exhausted which explains why he immediately went to lay down on the sofa.

He just didn’t have the energy to go back home to change his clothes and go back there. His eyes then slowly flutter close as he falls into deep sleep, setting aside all of his worries to dreamland.

Minutes later, the door opens and Suho steps inside. He just came back from sending Luhan back home which was the most awkward ride he’d ever experienced due to the argument they had before and they’re still not in talking terms because of it.

He immediately saw Yifan sleeping soundly on the sofa. He carefully approached the blonde man as he didn’t want to accidentally wake him. Yifan must be exhausted because of Sehun. He knows this is wrong for him, but he couldn’t help but to keep staring at Yifan’s beautiful face. By staring at the blonde man makes him realize something he’s trying to avoid for the past weeks.

The feelings I’ve been trying too hard to burry all these years resurfaced this easy the moment you walked into my life. What should I do now?

Suho snapped out from his reverie when Yifan suddenly grumbled nonchalantly in his sleep (which he thinks is very cute), something about “cold” and “alone”. He took off his black coat and used it to cover Yifan’s body. He didn’t want Yifan to get cold and become sick later.

“Goodnight, Yifan. I’ll see you again tomorrow.”

He then walks out from room, burying again those foolish thoughts he has difficulties facing for now.


Author's note: Not only I love cliffhanger, but I also love plots twist. Hehe