007

His First and Last

 

 

“That was really good.” Jeno said as they exited the restaurant.

“They always serve my favorite, and the owner ahjussi is a family friend, that’s why he gave has a lot of freebies.” Ronnie nodded as they walked towards the pedestrian lane.

“So, are you going to home straight after this, agasshi? We should get ice cream.”

“You still have room for food?” She blinked at him, Jeno nodded.

She smiled and shook her head.

“Fine, let’s get ice cream and go home.”

Jeno smiled to himself as he walked beside her.

 

 

“How did you befriend Nanhee noona?” Jeno asked as they entered the ice cream shop.

“She was a new student, we were in the same class…but we didn’t really talk.” She started as she scanned through the menu.

“Then one time, I heard this loud noises coming from the ladies’ restroom across the field. It was one of those rare days that I waited by the field for Mark to finish.”

Jeno nodded and ordered his favorite.

“What did you get?” She asked him.

“Chocolate chip with a healthy dose of strawberry sauce.” He said proudly that it made Ronnie chuckled.

“I’ll have the same too.” She said to the lady before turning around in search for a vacant table.

“So, I went to the ladies’ restroom and found out that Nanhee was being locked in one of the cubicles.”

“Heol.” Jeno paused as he sat down.

“She said it was Hyerin and her friends, but…we never really got proof.”

“And yet you’re okay with this Hyerin dating yoru best friend?” Jeno countered.

Ronnie smiled and shrugged.

“Mark’s my friend, it’s him I have to deal with. Not Hyerin, to be honest,” She leaned forward him.

“I don’t really care about her. I just respect Mark and his decisions.”

Jeno smiled, then he leaned over and brushed some of the hair strands that were sticking to her cheek, Ri In tensed slightly.

“Aigoo, what a good friend you are then.” He whispered teasingly.

 

 

Mark plopped down on the sofa; he had the TV on, playing some nighttime drama as he chewed on some potato sticks. He heard the front door open; he stood up and walked towards it.

Ronnie was holding an empty cup of Baskin Robbins ice cream as she twisted the knob, then she jumped when Mark appeared before her.

You’re home.” Mark stated.

You’re in my home.” She blinked at him, Mark looked at his wristwatch briefly before making her pass.

Oh my god, did you just check the time? Oh, abeoji, I’m so sorry for coming home late. It won’t happen again.” She chuckled as she took off her coat and shoes.

Mark mimicked her in annoyance.

“I just had to make sure you got home safe.” He said darkly, she smiled and plopped down on the couch.

“Earlier…with Hyerin, I’m sorry, Ronnie.”

“It’s fine, I knew there were going to be adjustments..actually, I was ready for it.” She nodded at him, Mark’s lips pursed.

“But that doesn’t mean I wont hang out with you or grab raw fish on a plate with you anymore.”

Raw fish on a plate…nice.” She chuckled.

“I’m serious.” Mark stated, Ronnie looked at him, he did seem annoyed with her. She sighed and stood up, she plopped down beside him and leaned on him.

“I know you are, sorry for not taking you seriously.” She nodded and squeezed his hand, Mark smiled and kissed the side of her head.

“I have to finish that essay for English. See you tomorrow, Ronniebear.” He said as he stood up.

“Ya, ya, ham or salami?” She called after him.

“Ham and egg!” He replied before closing the front door behind him.

 

 

“Hi!” Nanhee rushed to Ri In as she got off the bus, Mark was not with her, claiming that he had things he needed to pick up, around them, a lot of students were carrying flowers, candies and chocolates as they marched up towards the campus.

“Happy Valentines’ day, nerd!” Nanhee greeted as she handed her a small heart keychain, she grinned back at her friend.

“I love it. And, Mark and I actually got you this,” She took out a white teddy bear from her backpack; Nanhee chuckled and hugged her briefly.

Then they saw Hyerin and her two cronies pass by. Nanhee saw how Ri In’s brows furrowed briefly before following her.

“Jeno?” Ronnie asked as she noticed that the other male wasn’t around.

“We were together earlier but he was called to coach’s office, something about his training schedule..or whatever.”

Ronnie nodded, in front of them, they could hear Hyerin excitedly chatting while clutching onto box of presumably homemade sweets.

“Does Mark know how Valentines’ day is different in Korea?” Nanhee whispered.

“I…don’t know..I think?” Ri In blinked.

“Wait, so here, it’s usually the girls who give gifts, am I right?”

Nanhee nodded quickly.

“Do you think Hyerin knows Mark is a little clueless about this?” Nanhee countered, before Ronnie could reply, they both felt a weight pressing on their shoulders.

“Flowers for my two favorite girls!”

Nanhee and Ronnie were almost slapped with two huge bouquets.

People turned to looked at them, Nanhee smiled and took the sunflowers and roses arrangement from Mark.

“Thank you, team captain.” She nodded; Ronnie just blinked at her friend and eyed the ranunculus and peonies before taking it from him.

Mark grinned.

“What’s this? Why are you not smiling?” Mark asked her, her eyes went to Hyerin, who was now looking at Mark with a frown on her face.

“What?” Mark nudged Nanhee.

You have a girlfriend.” Ronnie whispered.

“I know.” Mark whispered back, still clueless.

“Oh my god, I cannot watch this.” Nanhee closed her eyes briefly.

“Why give us gifts first?” She groaned as she pulled him away.

But I always you give you flowers every year, since we were five.” He was even proud of it when he spoke.

“Ya!” Ronnie warned, Mark blinked again.

“Look, Mark, this year, you have a girlfriend right? You’re supposed to prioritize her first, Nanhee and I come second.”

I don’t see why the order matters…..” Mark trailed off, Nanhee approached them.

“Aigoo, Lee Minhyung, you’re a headache.”

“What?”

Look, bub, thank you. I love the flowers. But go to your girlfriend and console her. She might end up hating me and Nanhee for what you did, okay?

Fine, see you in class, grumpy.” He said darkly before walking away from them.

Nanhee just scratched the back of her head.

“He drives me crazy.” Ri In muttered as they walked towards the building.

“But it’s kinda cute, he gave me flowers last year too. We need more Mark Lees in this world.” Nanhee chuckled as she took a whiff of the roses.

 

 

Ronnie closed the door behind her, she made her way to the empty chairs and took a seat, and she wrapped her arms around herself and looked at the view. The rooftop had become some sort of an escape to her especially when she needed to focus.

She had a few of her notes in her hands, and then she started to read.

“Here to plan one of your tactics?”

She looked up, Hyerin was walking towards her.

“What are you~”

“I don’t know how you do it, stringing him along and~”

“Oh, you were here.” The doors suddenly opened, revealing Jeno.

Hyerin paused as Jeno bypassed her and went straight to Ri In. Ronnie blinked as Jeno neared her, then his hands landed on her shoulders.

“I’m sorry, I should have waited for you by the school gates.” He said before wrapping his arms around her, her eyes widened.

“It wont happen again, agasshi.” He said before cupping the back of her head.

“Hyerin? You wanted to talk?” Mark’s voice made Hyerin look up, he had just step through the doors.

“Yeah, I~”

Mark’s eyes went to Jeno and Ri In, his fingers curled over his phone.

Ronnie?” Mark spoke, Jeno pulled away from the girl, he playfully touched her chin slightly before standing up again.

Ronnie’s eyes went to Hyerin then to her friend.

We were just leaving. See you later.” She stood up, she took Jeno’s hand and started pulling him with her. But Mark caught her wrist as she passed by him.

“Mark,” Hyerin spoke.

Is everything alright?” He asked her, his fingers tightened around her wrist as he noticed how she wouldn’t meet his gaze.

Yeah.” She nodded and shook his hand off, Jeno just let the girl pulled her to the doors.

Mark looked at his now empty hand, his jaw tightened briefly before facing Hyerin.

“Happy Valentines’ Day!” Hyerin handed him a small red box, he nodded and squeezed her hand.

“Thank you, Hyerin.” He said distractedly before letting Hyerin wrap her arm around his.

 

Mark looked at the chair Ri In just vacated before following Hyerin to the stairs back to the building.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++