020

His First and Last

August 2016

 

“They always make us do things like this.” Mark said as he set down the empty box on the floor.

It was that week during the summer when students would clean their classrooms for a few days and then hold bazaars and other activities in the campus.

“I think it’s fun.” Ronnie commented, Nanhee was at the cafeteria, helping decorate for the pie making competition.

“Yeah, fun. You have dust on your nose.” Mark stated before taking out his handkerchief and gently brushing it off Ronnie’s face.

She made a face at him.

“How’s the leg?” She asked as they stepped out of the room, Mark had gotten a sprain a few weeks ago.

Good enough to play in the game next week.” Mark nodded and slung one arm around her neck.

You always say that and yet all those pads I have to stick on your~

“I get it, I get it. Let’s get some food into your system before you nag me again.” He mused as they reached the steps.

Ronnie just smiled as they hopped down the stairs.

 

“I believe this.” Nanhee suddenly blurted, Haechan and Jaemin glanced at her.

“What?” Ronnie asked while passing her bottle of orange juice to Mark.

“You want me open this? This is pulpy.” He asked her, she blinked and picked it up.

“You can have it.” She made a face, Mark stood up and walked to the vending machine.

“Look at this.” Nanhee set down the magazine she was reading again.

“Ew, this is a dating magazine. This is illegal in our school!” Haechan mused.

“What are you reading, noona?” Jaemin asked. Mark camed back with a can of cranberry juice, he opened it before pushing it towards Ronnie.

“Every guy has his first and last.” Nanhee read.

“Huh?”

“What?”

Ronnie leaned over to see the article.

“The first girl he thinks about as he starts his day will be the last girl he’ll think about before he sleeps.” She finished.

“That’s too cheesy.” Jaemin shuddered.

“That doesn’t work on me. I don’t count then.” Mark mused.

“Wae?” Nanhee looked up, Ronnie took a long sip for her juice.

“When I wake up, I have to check if Ronnie’s already downstairs, waiting to go to school.”

“Then at night?” Haechan asked.

“I remind her to make me a sandwich for tomorrow, I send her a message. Since I don’t have time to make breakfast.”

Ronnie nodded, somehow proud of herself.

“So, it’s all Cheon Ri In?” Nanhee blinked.

“Yeah.” Mark nodded coolly before taking a sip of his juice.

“It should be Hyerin sunbae, not this nerd.” Haechan pointed out, Ronnie kicked his foot under the table.

“Like I said, that doesn’t count for me.” Mark nodded with a grin.

“Makes sense…” Nanhee nodded hesitantly.

 

 

“So, what do you want to eat?” Ronnie asked as she fastened her seatbelt.

“Do we really have to celebrate this year?” He asked as he started the car and backed out of the garage.

“Your parents are expecting it. Let’s just buy ingredients~”

“We have to cook?” He whined again, Ronnie exhaled.

“Fine, let’s just order from restaurants and roam around.” She gave up; he chuckled before stepping on the gas.

In a matter of minutes they arrived at a mall in Shinsadong, Ronnie jumped down from the BMW and waited for her friend.

“We should ask Nanhee to join us next time.” She started; Mark wrapped one arm around hers as they crossed the street.

“Did you invite Hyerin too? For later.”

Mark paused.

“You said Nanhee and her didn’t get along.”

“So you didn’t tell her?”

“Well…no.” Mark blinked.

“Mark, she’s your girlfriend. Invite her, silly.

“But, you said~”

Just call her, okay?” She sighed at him, Mark grinned sheepishly before following her to a Korean restaurant.

 

 

“We should get coffee.” He stated as they reached the other side of the street, Ronnie looked around.

Iced coffee. It’s too humid.” She muttered, Mark made a face at her, eyeing her denim mini skirt.

“It’s too hot to wear jeans, Mark.” She stated as they entered Caffe Bene.

That doesn’t mean you should wear one of those micro mini things.

What? Micro mini?” She chortled as she joined him at the counter.

Mark rolled his eyes at her, she laughed.

“It’s just a skirt, Mark. You’re acting as if I’m wearing nothing.”

“It is as if you’re wearing nothing. Look at it, it’s too short.” He argued.

“I’m sorry, abeoji. I’ll make sure not to wear this in public next time.” She replied darkly, he just made a face at her before looking at the menu.

“Iced latte.” She said to him before looking for an empty table.

Mark soon followed her and took the seat across hers.

“I’ve been thinking,” She started, Mark leaned back on his chair.

“Should I get a pet? A puppy.”

“How can a child take care of another child?” Mark replied, Ronnie sent him a look.

“What do kind of breed do you want?” He asked her just as their coffee arrived.

“I think~”

How about a German shepherd? Or a Doberman? You’re usually alone at home, a guard dog would be better.

“Just seconds ago you were totally against it.” She said as she grabbed his coffee and opened the lid.

“Two?” She said before opening two packets of sugar and dumping the contents on the drink.

“We should check out pet shops then after this.” Mark suggested.

Yeah.” She said before stealing sip from his drink and returning it to him, Mark grinned and swiped his drink before she could sip again.

“You said you wanted iced latte, Ronnie.”

“But yours tastes better.” She mumbled. He sighed and just pushed her drink towards her, and then he took her iced latte.

“You always get away with everything.”

 

“I know.” She chuckled.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++