010

His First and Last

 

Ronnie stepped down from the bus, she pulled the straps of her backpack forward as she walked towards the familiar street where she lived.

She waved as the ahjumma who ran a small arcade smiled at her, and then she glanced at her phone.

What has gotten into him? But they won the game, why is he so cranky?” She muttered to herself as she reached the gates, she typed in a code and made her way towards the frontdoor, as soon as her fingers landed on the knob, she heard it.

Her brows furrowed deeply, her parents were home and they were fighting again. Yelling at each other, throwing insults, blames. She shook her head and turned away from the door.

 

 

Mark stepped out of the clinic; his left arm was in a cast. He found Nanhee sitting by the plastic chairs, obviously waiting for Jeno.

“Ya,”

Mark faced her, Nanhee sighed as she reached him.

“What was that?”

“What~”

“Ri In, she got here so quickly, and you made her leave.” She chided, Mark looked away.

“Do you even know that.. she was so worried that she ran to school still in her tights.”

“Look, Mark, I know we haven’t been friends for a long time, but, you don’t get to do that to her. I know you were worried about what Hyerin would think, but damn it, Mark, it was like you tossed her away.”

“Hee, it wasn’t~”

“I’ve always been honest with you guys, but I want you to know that I respect you and whatever you see in Hyerin, but I hate her. I feel like she’s always out to torment Ri In.”

Mark’s brows met briefly.

“You should go. She’s probably confused right now because you were such an earlier.” Nanhee said before sidestepping him and entering the clinic.

 

Hyerin pressed herself against the wall as Nanhee continued to talk.

She saw how Mark’s facial expression changed when Nanhee spoke to him about Ri In, the girl’s jaw tightened.

Then Nanhee left him, Mark took out his phone and started to dial. Hyerin knew who he was calling.

Ronnie, come on.” He muttered under his breath, he cursed softly when the line went to voicemail.

Hyerin swallowed, she was about to walk to him when Mark started speaking again.

“Ronnie, it’s me. I’m sorry…I..didn’t..I wasn’t expecting that you’d be there…I just…I was confused when I saw you at the field, you never did come to any of my games, not even before, then I see you….standing over….an injured teammate, so it…distracted me for a moment, I mean, how could you worry over someone else first? I was hurt too.” He added, his tone a little playful. And then Mark sighed again.

“You can yell at me later, but please, answer my calls.”

Hyerin let out a short unamused laugh.

“So, what am I? A game?” She muttered darkly before walking away.

“You’re going to get it, Cheon Ri In.”

 

Mark got through the gates with ease, he was about to approach the front door when he noticed the cars.

Mark!” Mrs. Cheon suddenly opened the door, he blinked and smiled.

Hi, auntie. I was just~

Did Ronnie call you? She has not arrived yet. I was thinking she was with you.” The elder looked at him, Mark swallowed.

Ah, yes, I just came by to tell you that we have a paper due tomorrow. She’s at the library, I’m supposed to meet her there after I change.” He fibbed, then she saw his cast.

“Aigoo, are you okay? That looks painful.” Mrs. Cheon frowned at his injury.

It’s fine, auntie. I’ll get going then.

Mark dashed across the street to his home, he tossed his bag in his room, got a pair of clean sneakers and rushed out again.

He began to call Ronnie’s phone, but she wasn’t picking up.

He exhaled and closed his eyes briefly as he reached their subdivision’s park, he ran his fingers through his hair, and then he paused.

Ronnie was seated outside the coffee shop, she had a cup of warm latte in front of her, but she wasn’t drinking it.

 

 

Ronnie,

Ri In looked up, she exhaled.

Are you going to make me leave again? This is your favorite coffee shop after all.

Mark bit his lower lip, unsure of what to say.

Ronnie, I’m sorry.” He said, she looked up to meet his gaze. Mark then placed something on the table, her favorite ice cream.

You can throw it to my face if you’re still angry at me, but after that, please talk to me.” Mark said, Ronnie’s lips pursed and looked at him.

I’m in a dilemma, because I want to eat it and throw it at your face at the same time.

I’m sorry, Ronniebear.” He whispered, her lips quirked up slightly.

“I’m assuming you passed by the house.”

Yeah, your mom saw me. I had to come up with a lie.” He said as he opened the ice cream for her, she took it from him and started to eat.

“They’re fighting again. I didn’t want to come to that.” She said quietly, Mark’s frowned grew deeper. She just sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder.

“Am I forgiven?” He asked softly, she snorted.

Try acting like that again and I’m going to kill you.” She pointed out, Mark smiled and just squeezed her hand.

Mark?” She suddenly spoke.

What?

“It’s cold.” She shuddered; Mark chuckled and just took off his parka and placed it on her lap.

“Let’s go somewhere warm. We have an hour to spare.” He said as they stood up.

“It’s because you came up with a lame excuse. You could have just said I just stopped by somewhere to grab donuts.” She groaned, Mark just took her hand and started to pull her away from the chairs.

Like you’re being of any help, I had to run around the neighborhood to find you, what are you five?” He replied while grinning.

“Careful there, buddy, we aren’t totally okay yet.” Her eyes narrowed at him, Mark just chuckled and squeezed her hand in his as they crossed the street.

 

 

“Does it hurt a lot?” Nanhee asked in worry as they waited for her dad to come pick them up, Jeno was seated on the bench, occasionally wincing when he moved his foot.

“Noona,”

Nanhee faced him.

“Mark and Ri In.”

“Huh?” Nanhee plopped down beside him, Jeno leaned back on his palms, his eyes on the sky.

“What are you saying? Mark and Ri In?” She asked him.

“What are they?”

“What?” Nanhee blinked at him, confused.

“What’s going on between them. Do they have..something?”

Nanhee slowly shook her head.

“I’ve often wondered about that, sometimes Mark makes me doubt him, I mean, he babies Ri In too much, but I don’t think there’s something. They’re just really good friends.”

Jeno nodded.

“Why? Why are you suddenly so curious about them?” Nanhee chimed.

“I just wanted to make sure of things.”

“Why?”

 

 

“I think I like her. Agasshi.”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++