027

His First and Last

 

 

Nanhee watched with excitement as the match started, Ronnie pulled her parka closer to her.

“Hey, do you wanna place bets?”

“We’re too young to gamble.” Ronnie replied, Nanhee shook her head.

“I didn’t say we’d involve cash, just…the loser has to treat food or amusement park tickets.” Nanhee explained, Ronnie’s eyes were on the ball as the players started to move.

“Sure, do you want something to eat?” Ronnie nodded as she stood up.

“Well, for someone who is friends with the team captain, you’re not very excited for this game.”

“My knee is throbbing and we’re out here in the cold. Hot choco?” She replied.

“Yeah, marsmallows too.” Nanhee grinned at her, she watched as Ronnie made her way down to the cafeteria.

“She’s bothered. It’s cute.” She mused.

Ronnie made her way to the vending machine with Nanhee’s cup of hot choco in hand. She leaned over and checked the drinks available.

Before she could take out her wallet, her phone started to ring.

“Yes, eomma.”

“How are you? Are you still at school?”

“Yeah. Mark has a game.” She stated as she took out some coins.

“That’s good, he was really adamant about helping us.”

“Huh?” Ronnie paused slightly as she pressed the button below the strawberry juice can.

“We mentioned about getting you a car, remember?”

“Yeah.” She said as she leaned against the machine and set down Nanhee’s drink. She noticed that it was starting to rain outside, she sighed.

Your car arrived yesterday, Mark was the one who took it out and had the wheels changed and all.”

“..What? Why would the wheels have to be changed?” She replied as she took out her strawberry juice.

“Snow tires, darling. The roads are still slippery.”

So, he was with you yesterday?

Yes, he was, I’m not sure if he skipped classes, I hope he didn’t.. He wanted to help surprise you. Oops.

Ronnie’s brows met briefly.

“Eomma, I kind of have to go. I’ll call you later.”

 

 

 

Mark looked at the scoreboard, he felt relieved that they were leading the game.

“They’re a little rough this time, don’t you think?” Jisung spoke to him, he already had a bruise starting to form on his forearm.

“They must really want to win then, they’ve even gone through such desperate measures to threaten us.” One of their teammates spoke.

“Desperate measures?” Mark echoed, Jisung and Haechan froze.

Jeno’s eyes widened and before he could stop the other male from speaking,

“Oh, didn’t you hear? That’s weird.”

“What?” Mark said as he set down his water jug, he glanced at the timer briefly.

“Their captain, Donghyun and his other friends went after Ri In the other day, they followed her one her way home and they even hurt her.”

Jeno winced and just looked away, Haechan decided it as best top fade away and wait for the other half to start.

“They followed her?” Mark echoed, then his brows met as he remembered Ronnie’s skinned knee. His eyes went towards the bleachers and saw Ronnie plop down beside Nanhee with some snacks in hand.

“Hyung, don’t.” Jeno reached for his arm before the older male could move.

“Does that make sense, they~” Mark was about to yank his arm away from him but the coach had called them back.

“Don’t act rashly, hyung, think about the game, we are~”

“The game?! They hurt her, how could we just let~”

“Agasshi won’t like this, hyung. Don’t do this.” Jeno stated, small water droplets started to fall down on the stadium’s roof. Some of the people glanced upwards.

Mark exhaled, his fists curled tightly.

“Change of plans,” He spoke loudly as the rest of the team gathered around them.

“We go big or we go home. They’re trying to trick us into playing rough by intentionally hurting us,” Mark stated.

“The ref seems unfair too, always turning a blind eye for fouls when it comes to them.” Haechan made a face, Mark nodded, his lips quirking up slightly when he saw Donghyun enter the field.

“So, don’t hold back. It’s the final game of the season, so, don’t hold back.”

The other boys nodded.

“And leave Donghyun to me.”

 

 

“Hey, food!” Nanhee grinned as Ri In reached her, the other girl just sat down and handed her food to her.

“I messed up.” Ronnie stated as the whistle blew, signaling that the second half to start.

“You didn’t, you made it before second half would start.” Nanhee said before opening the bag of

“No, no, with Mark. I messed up.” She stated as players from Poongjin High started to run to the field.

“I…I think I need to talk to him.” She said as she stood up and went down the steps.

Nanhee watched as the girl left the bleachers and made her way towards their school’s side, she managed to dodge the coach and reach the team just as some of the members started to move to the center.

“Noona!” Jisung almost bumped against her.

“Where’s Mark?” She asked him, she started look around.

“Cheon Ri In, why are you here?” The coach bellowed at her.

“Where is he?” She pressed; Jisung just jutted his lips behind him. Ronnie nodded and started to run towards Mark, before he could run to the field she managed to catch his arm.

Mark!” She panted, mark faced her, his jaw tight and eyes cold.

“Why are you here?”

“Mark, I…I, I didn’t know, I’m~”

“Of course you don’t, you like hiding things from me!” He snapped at her, the other guys paused around them. Mark yanked his arm away from her, Ronnie could hear their schoolmates starting to murmur amongst the crowd.

Ronnie paused.

“What are you saying? I~”

 

“Just leave, Ronnie. Go back to your seat, you’re being unreasonable.” He said before brushing her off.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++