021

His First and Last

 

Nanhee took her seat at the bleachers; her eyes went to the school’s team.

Then she saw Mark, the game was scheduled tomorrow and she had promised Jeno that she’d wait for him so that they could walk home together.

It was an odd day for her, Ri In had disappeared during fourth period and has not returned ever since. Jeno would not talk about the older girl and Mark, he was unreachable the whole day.

“Something is wrong.” Nanhee sighed and muttered to herself.

She leaned on her palm and watched as practice started, most of the players were doing well. But there was something wrong with her cousin, Jeno was rougher than his usual, he didn’t even flinch when he brushed shoulders with his other teammates.

“Did those two fight?”

“Hyung!” Haechan’s yelp made Nanhee look away from her phone, and then she saw Mark colliding against one of this teammates, he flinched as he toppled back, nursing his elbow.

“Lee Minhyung! Bench!” The coach yelled.

 

 

Jeno leaned back against the wall, waiting for their team captain to step out from the showers.

“Rough day?” Jaemin walked up to him.

“Not really.” Jeno replied while toying with the straps of his duffel.

“Oh, hyung,” Jaemin looked up as Mark stepped out of the shower, his hair still damp, he nodded at Jaemin before glancing back at Jeno.

“Can we talk, hyung?” Jeno asked.

Mark’s brows met briefly but he nodded. They stepped out of the locker room with their bags with them.

“What is it?” Mark asked quietly.

“I’m making way for you.” He said.

“Huh?”

“No, I’m not giving up. I just know that it wont be me for her.”

Mark stared at the younger male, confused.

“I got rejected yesterday,” Jeno stated.

“I didn’t even get to finish what I wanted to say, but she started apologizing.” Jeno continued, his eyes on the field before them.

“Jeno, I don’t understand, yesterday I saw~”

“You tend to not understand a lot of things around you, hyung. Especially how you feel about her.” Jeno faced him.

“You like her.”

Mark’s brows met briefly.

“So, go get her before I change my mind.” Jeno patted his shoulder before walking away.

 

 

“Nanhee?”

She looked up and found Mark walking towards her.

“Ya! Did she call?” She rushed up to him; Mark noticed the familiar backpack his friend was holding.

“She?”

“Ri In, she left earlier, her father’s secretary came to pick her up, she hasn’t gone back ever since.”

Mark took the backpack from her.

“Did you try calling her?” He asked as he took out his phone.

“I did, but she’s not picking up. This is worrying me.” Nanhee sighed, Mark just shook his head before jogging towards his car.

 

 

Mark hurriedly typed the code on the gate and rushed to the house; he pushed the double doors open and ran to the living room.

Ronnie!” He called as he reached the kitchen, his brows furrowed when he found it empty.

He went up to the second floor and entered her room, he groaned when he found it empty.

Mark took out his phone and started dialing her number as he went down. He shut the gates behind him and stared at his phone’s screen in frustration, she wasn’t picking up, and her phone wasn’t even ringing.

“I can’t deal with this. This unstable version of you, I’ve had enough.”

“Ronnie, you don’t get it. Jeno, he~”

“Stop it, Mark!”

“You know what, whatever. Just stay away from me.”

He chewed on his lower lip as he looked around, and then he saw her.

Ronnie was walking towards his direction; her eyes were on the ground as her shoulders hunched up against the cold breeze.

Mark sighed and quickly shook off his coat; he jogged towards her and halted when he saw her swollen eyes and tearstained face. He panicked and quickly draped his coat around her.

“Hey, hey, what happened?” He asked worriedly as he cupped both of her cheeks in his hands.

“Ya, you’re freezing, let’s go~”

Ronnie started to shake her head, then he noticed the brown envelop she was holding.

“Ronnie,”

“It…It finally happened,” She said, her lower lip shaking.

Mark’s brows met briefly, Ronnie swallowed and lifted the envelope slightly.

They even gave me a copy.” She said softly, Mark didn’t know what to say.

“I…just didn’t…” She started to sob; Mark sighed and just pulled her to his chest.

I’m sorry, Ronnie.” He whispered against the side of her head.

She just pressed her cheek against his chest and closed her eyes.

“It’ll get better, Ron.”

She just looked up to meet his gaze, then her lips quirked up, giving him a small sad smile.

“I’m sorry, Mark.”

Mark’s eyes widened.

“Ron~”

“I was really mean to you…and look at me now, running back to you to complain.” She mumbled. Mark shook his head and kissed her forehead.

 

It’s alright. We’re alright.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++