023

His First and Last

 

 

 

Ronnie strapped her seatbelt on and looked at her friend oddly.

“Where are we going?” She asked again as Mark started the car.

“Out.”

“Wow, I didn’t notice that.” She snapped, he grinned and just drove away from the Lee property.

“Just relax, Ronnie.”

“Relax? Mark, I’m hungry. You suggested we skip breakfast and just head out.”

“Come on, we rarely go out for breakfast and it’s a weekend, Ronniebear.” He chuckled.

“Whatever, focus on the road while I try to wallow in my sadness and hunger.”

He smiled and reached for her hand.

“It’s going to be okay, Ron.”

“I hope so.” She whispered with a sigh as she faced the window.

 

 

Ronnie slid down from car and looked at the building before them. She was dressed in a pair of ripped jeans and a thick yellow sweater.

“We’re eating here? At a pet shop? Is there something you want to tell me?” She asked as she glanced at Mark, he grinned before placing his car key back in his pocket.

“I have a lot of things I want to tell you, but this comes first.” He nodded as he pushed her towards the entrance doors. She made a face at him as they got in the building.

“Ronnie, come.” He stated as he took her hand and started pulling her towards the kennel.

Her eyes widened when she saw puppies of different breeds rushing towards them.

“Now go ahead and a pick a soul mate.” Mark stated softly, she looked up to meet his gaze, tears lined her eyes.

“I’ll grab something for us to eat and come back for you..two.” He grinned before kissing the side of her head, Ronnie tensed slightly but she nodded and watched him as he left the building.

“Weird.” She murmured as she faced the puppies again.

“He’s weird, right?” She said as she lifted a Beagle pup in her arms.

 

 

“What are you naming him?” Mark asked as they stepped out of the shop, he was cradling a two month old thick coated black German shepherd in his arms.

“I don’t know yet.” She said as they reached the car, Mark chuckled as he opened the Range Rover’s backdoor and let Ronnie load the pup’s cage and bed at the back.

Ronnie shut the door close and walked to him, he was leaning against the hood, the pup still in his arms.

“Thank you, bub.” She smiled as she neared him; she rubbed the dog’s belly before standing next to him.

“This means a lot to me, you buying me a soul mate.” She mused; Mark chuckled and handed the pup to her.

“Anything to make you feel better, Ronnie.” He shrugged; she nodded and leaned her head on his shoulder.

“What would I do without you, Lee Minhyung?”

Mark just smiled.

I’m just glad you’re back to me now, Ronnie.

 

Nanhee sighed in relief as she saw the two walking towards the school gates.

“Finally, some normalcy around here.” She sang as she flung both of her arms around the two.

Ri In chuckled and just walked with her.

“Ya, the championship game is this week. I’m guessing we won’t be seeing much of you this week.” Nanhee stated, Mark nodded.

“This week is hell week.” Mark spoke as they reached the building, he was about to hand Ronnie’s backpack to her when she set off.

His eyes followed her as she approached Jeno.

“Hey, Lee Jeno!” She chirped as she slapped his back playfully, Jeno turned and smiled at her.

Nanhee blinked at the two.

“Wanna grab ice cream with me?”

“It’s still early in the morning.” He protested.

“Just come.” She nudged before walking back to Mark and took her backpack.

“Ronnie, where~”

“I’ll see you later. We have a quiz on our first period, study while we still have time.” She patted his arm before walking back to the younger male.

“You’re confused too, huh?” Nanhee said, Mark glanced at her.

“I don’t think Jeno ever confessed to her. Ronnie would never approach him like that if he did.”

Mark just watched as the two headed to the school cafeteria.

“But you, team captain,” Nanhee nudged him as they got inside the building.

“Why?”

“When are you going to tell her?”

“Tell her what?”

“That you like her, pabo.” She sighed, Mark stilled.

“Don’t worry, I won’t spill. It’s just that it’s so obvious that you two make me want to cry.” Nanhee nodded solemnly, Mark shook his head at her.

“Right now, Ronnie….she’s got so much on her plate, I…I don’t want to burden her.”

“Mark, you are never a burden to her. She’s always made time for you, you know.”

Mark just shrugged and buried his hands in his pockets.

Oh, come on, bub.” Nanhee .

“Stop it.” Mark snorted, Nanhee just smiled.

“I’m serious. It’s better if you tell her, that way, you’ll know if…”

“I’m not a burden?” Mark continued.

“No. You’ll know if you two can make things work. Actually, I realized this not long ago,” Nanhee spoke as they stepped in their classroom.

 

“That for her, it’s always going to be you.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++