025

His First and Last

 

 

“What? That’s just dirty.” Nanhee stated over the phone.

“I know.” Ri In replied as she hopped to the bathroom, she stared at her wound again.

“Then, do you want me to come over? I can~”

“Don’t, I don’t want you to see how much of a mess I am,”

“Mess? Ri In-ah, I~”

“I mean, my parents moved out remember? And I haven’t gotten around to fill out…some empty spaces here and there.”

Nanhee grew quiet.

“Don’t worry about me, Hee. I’m fine. I’ve already accepted it.”

“Mark?” Nanhee asked.

“What?”

“Nothing….Isn’t he there yet?”

“No. He’s probably going to pass out right after he comes home.” She chuckled.

“I don’t think so. He’ll probably check on you first.” Nanhee replied.

“I don’t think so. Anyway, I better try cleaning myself up. Make sure you don’t forget to do finish your Math homework.” She stated.

“Right, thank you, nerd.”

Ronnie snorted.

 

 

Mark ran his fingers through his damp hair as he stepped out of his room; he made his way to the kitchen and noticed the shopping bag on the counter.

Forgetful Ronnie.” He muttered as he picked it up and grabbed a jacket before heading out of the house.

He quickly jogged across the street and was confused to find the parking lot empty.

Ronnie?” He asked as he got inside the house, he heard some noise coming from the living room.

Then something jumped on his knees, Mark grinned before lifting the puppy in his arms.

“Is Ronnie still awake, Cobalt?” He mused as he rubbed the back of its ears.

“I’m here!” He heard Ronnie call out, he made his way to the living room and found her seated by windowsill with a book in hand.

“Ya, why are you still in your uniform?” Mark asked her, Ronnie blinked at him, he was already dressed in sweats and a thick shirt.

“Ah,” She nodded.

“Ah?” Mark walked up to her, then he noticed the gash on her knee.

Ronnie, what happened?” He panicked when he saw the dried blood.

“I was thinking of a way to clean it properly, but if I change clothes it might be painful or I may worsen it…and…it hurts.” She muttered.

Mark exhaled and shook his head.

“So, if I didn’t come here to deliver dog food you would have slept in your uniform?”

“I will probably call you. I was really planning to.” She nodded and hid the book behind her back.

Right.” He stated before helping her up.

“Are you hungry? I can heat~”

I’m fine, I grabbed something to eat before going home. Does it hurt a lot?” He asked as he tugged down the hem of her skirt.

I’m scared if I move then blood comes out. Blech.” She made a face, Mark grinned.

You weren’t bullied or anything, right? You aren’t the type to just trip and fall.

Ronnie shook her head.

You did eat dinner, right, Ronnie?

“I did. Aigoo, you’re being a mother hen again, relax. Just help me up the stairs.” She sighed before tugging on his sleeve.

We’ll get that cleaned before you shower, after that let’s put ointment on.” Mark placed her arm around her neck and slowly supported her to the stairs.

But~

No, buts, go shower. I’ll wait for you in the guest room.” Mark stated as they got inside her room.

But, blood~

Ronnie, do you need me to take you to the hospital, because I can.

Fine. Go feed Cobalt for me.

Mark nodded and closed the door.

 

 

 

What?” Mark didn’t know if he wanted to laugh or nag.

I was getting off the bus, I didn’t see the last step and some huge stone was there, so..the ground..I said hi to the ground and gave it a warm hug too.” She stated and hissed as he pressed the damp cotton against her scrape.

And this is coming from a ballerina. So graceful.” He mused as he picked up some gauze and medical tape.

You’re welcome, by the way. Did you like the sandwiches?” She asked dryly, Mark grinned before plopping down on the couch beside him.

“How are you? They aren’t home again.” Mark glanced at her briefly.

“They left this morning, I just..didn’t know how to tell you.”

“Huh?”

“They left me my allowance, the company would be taking care of the bills for the house. They even got me a car, which is coming next week. So,”

Ronnie,” Mark frowned, she just sniffed and shook her head.

I don’t know what to do, they asked me if..if I wanted to move with one of them, but..” She bit her lip, Mark sighed and just opened one arm to her.

I like it here. It’s a close distance from the school, safe neighborhood, and I have you right across the street.” She explained.

You have me right across the street to remind you to shower?” Mark muttered, she grinned before facing up to meet his gaze.

Mark paused at her sudden proximity.

I kinda always knew that I’d have you around.” She smiled.

“Don’t overdo it, I’m about to get sick of you.” Mark replied, she just chuckled and pulled the throw blanket near them.

“Shut up, you can’t live without me,” Ronnie snorted.

“The game and my recital, they’re on the same day.” She stated.

Mark paused.

“I’m going to ditch it, I have to see this game.”

“But, Ronnie, you’ve worked so~”

You can’t reason out with me on this, bub. I’m watching the game.” She nodded before leaning on his arm again.

“Are you sure? You don’t like watching matches.” Mark asked her.

“But it’s your championship game, and I like watching you play.” She nodded before switching on the television.

Mark just closed his mouth and looked at the screen, soon he felt Ronnie getting heavier beside him. She had fallen asleep.

 

 

“My first and last.” Mark smiled before kissing the top of her head and slowly pulling away from her, he gently put a pillow underneath her head and tucked her under the thick blanket

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++