013

His First and Last

Mark went back to the living room and joined his friends; his eyes darted back to the kitchen briefly.

He could hear Ronnie laughing while Jeno spoke, his fists curled as he crossed his arms.

Bub, I need to go.” Ronnie walked up to him, he stood up from the couch.

“Home? Are you sure?” He asked as he pulled her by the elbow away from the group, he could feel Jeno’s eyes on them.

Yeah, don’t want them to barge in here. Right?” She nodded, her eyes went to his injured arm, and she frowned.

“Come over for proper dinner later.” She grinned as she told him, Mark just nodded and opened his free arm to her. Ronnie just sighed before walking into his hug.

“It’ll get better, Ronnie.”

“Your arm?” She blinked at him, Mark chuckled and rubbed her back. Jeno looked away and exhaled.

With your parents, silly.” He said as he let go.

“I was more worried about your arm, but whatever.” She made a face at him, then she hollered.

“I’ll be going now, bye boys!”

 

 

Ronnie shook her head and kept her phone in the pocket of her coat.

“They did call me too, they asked me to come.” Mark spoke, Ronnie groaned as they reached the bus stop.

“They always throw this party every year, this façade is tiring me.” She muttered as she plopped down on the seat, Mark just stood beside her and leaned against the post.

“Your grandparents are going to be there, Ronnie. It’s going to be fun.”

“No. Too many adults. Never going to be fun.” She said darkly.

“I have to leave later, to get this checked.” Mark said, he lifted his injured arm slightly.

Want me to come with you?” Ronnie offered as the bus arrived.

“It’s fine, I’ll catch up with you at the game by then.” He said as he pulled her up, Ronnie followed her to the bus, then they both paused when they saw Hyerin was already inside.

“Mark~”

Mark just tugged her to the nearest empty seats and they both sat down. Ronnie’s eyes went to Hyerin who just looked away from them, but she didn’t miss how the other girl glared at her before looking away.

“Hey, did you two not fix things yet?” She whispered lowly, Mark just shook his head at her.

“Ya, be with her.” She nudged him, Mark ignored her but he could feel her questioning gaze on him.

“Let it go, Ronnie. I’ll deal with it later.”

 

 

So, you’re not telling Mark? But you always tell him things. Up to the shade of your favorite lip tint.Nanhee said over some snacks.

“He’s already has enough problems. Hyerin and the championships.” She pointed out.

“Still, I think he should know.”

“Know what? I asked your cousin to be my pretend boyfriend?”

“Did you just realize how hilarious it sounds?” Nanhee chuckled, Ronnie shook her head and set down her cola.

Then Nanhee set down her sandwich and faced her friend.

“But, Ri In-ah,”

Ronnie looked up from her laptop.

“You and Jeno….you guys really get along well.” She said conversationally.

“Surprisingly, yes.” Ronnie nodded.

“But, do you~”

Ronnie looked up as they heard the cafeteria doors open with such great force, it was Mark. Their eyes were on his retreating figure as the doors slowly closed, then they saw Hyerin chasing after him.

Oh, god.” Ronnie mumbled.

“He needs you. Go.” Nanhee shook her head.

“Hee, it’s not your fault. What Hyerin did~”

“I know, but please, try to talk to him on this. He’s been distant all day long.” Nanhee pleaded, Ronnie sighed, she knew how Nanhee felt; the girl was blaming herself for what was happening between Mark and Hyerin.

“I’ll try.” Ronnie shut her laptop close and followed the two.

 

 

“What? You want to end things?” Hyerin asked, her cheeks stained with tears.

Mark didn’t reply, his back just faced her.

“It’s about her, isn’t it?” Hyerin spat, Ronnie froze on her tracks, she pressed herself behind the wall and swallowed.

“You always drag her into this.” Mark said flatly.

“Because you always make me!”

“Do you I think I don’t know, Hyerin? I hear everything, but I chose to ignore it, hoping that it wasn’t true.” Mark finally faced her

“Okay, do you want to hear it?” Hyerin challenged him, Mark didn’t reply.

“I hate her. I hate that Cheon Ri In! Why? Because, you always prioritize her Mark, she’s supposedly just a best friend to you, but you don’t treat her like one! And, do you even see how you act around her?!”

Ronnie chewed on the insides of her cheek and closed her eyes.

“From the beginning, I already told you~”

“And now you want to break up just because of something so small?”

“Something small? You hurt Nanhee, she was bleeding, and who knows what else you could have done if I didn’t stop you. Were you going to drown her?” Mark said hotly, Ronnie’s eyes widened.

“That’s it, Hyerin. We’re done, I can’t do this anymore.” Mark said exasperatedly.

“So, you’re going to leave me for Ri In? Just like that? You always choose her, Mark.”

Mark didn’t move from his spot.

“I never had a chance, huh, against that friend of yours? She’s probably the reason why your relationships failed. She’s a thorn to your side, Mark!”

Ronnie looked away, she peeled herself off the wall and just started to head back to the cafeteria.

 

 

Ronnie slowly lowered herself beside Nanhee, the other girl looked at her, amused.

“Well, well, looks who’s here.” Nanhee chuckled, Ronnie just sighed and looked around them, the place was already packed with her schoolmates, she left a space for Mark on her left before facing Nanhee.

“Ya, earlier…I~”

“Oh, did you get to check on Mark?” Nanhee spoke. Ri In looked up and shook her head.

“N—no, he already left for the hospital by then.” She fibbed.

“I’m~”

Hi, girls.” Mark appeared before them, bearing cans of warm coffee.

“How’s the arm?” Nanhee asked as she took one of the cans, Mark chuckled and gently pressed the coffee on Ronnie’s cheek before plopping down beside her.

“Nothing too strenuous for the rest of the week, then I’m good as new.” He nodded.

“That’s good to hear.” Nanhee sighed, Ronnie looked at the coffee in her hands, her furrowed.

Hey, you okay?” Mark purposely scooted closer to her, opening his coat slightly and pulling her closer to him. She shivered despite the extra warmth from him.

“You’re quiet. Are you sick?” Mark said playfully.

“So, you’re going to leave me for Ri In? Just like that? You always choose her, Mark.”

“I never had a chance, huh, against that friend of yours? She’s probably the reason why your relationships failed. She’s a thorn to your side, Mark!

Ronnie’s fingers curled around the can before shaking her head.

“I’m fine.” She just concentrated on the field as the players started to appear, she saw Jeno looking around for them, and she gave him a warm smile before he turned away from the crowd.

 

Mark followed her gaze and his jaw tightened.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++