026

His First and Last

 

“We’re not taking the bus?” Ronnie asked as she stepped out of the house, Mark nodded and took her backpack from her.

“You’re limping, Ronnie. Besides, it will save us time if I drive us there.” He stated as he reached his car, she nodded, then she noticed his large duffel on the backseat.

“Ya, Lee Minhyung,” She spoke before going inside, Mark glanced at her.

“Be careful. I mean, at the game later. Be careful.”

“And this is coming from someone who fell off a bus.” He mused, but he gently mussed her hair.

“Ya!”

“Alright, alright, I will be careful. Get in the car.” He said as he opened the door, Ronnie muttered as she lifted herself up, Mark grinned as he helped her fasten her seatbelt before going around the vehicle.

 

 

“They are going to drive me crazy.” Nanhee stated, as the black Lexus SUV pulled over, Mark slid down from his seat just as Ronnie opened her door.

“Me too. What will it take just to make team captain spit out his feelings?” Haechan shook his head to himself.

“I know right, should we set them up or something?” Nanhee asked just as Mark lifted Ronnie off her seat and gently set her down.

“But, noona, why is she limping? Did she get injured?” Haechan asked as he noticed how Ronnie was having a difficult time walking. Nanhee eyed the bandage on her knee before shaking her head.

“It’s your Poongjin friends, they made sure to send a message to their opposing team.”

“What?! They bullied her over th~”

“Don’t tell your team captain, it might cause trouble, let’s go,” Nanhee just pulled the boy with her to the building.

"But he should know!" Haechan protested.

 

 

Ronnie stared at her phone briefly; she puffed her cheeks before setting the gadget down.

“You’re alone.” Nanhee blinked as she took her seat across hers.

“Mark’s eating with his jock friends or whatever; he keeps on disappearing at school lately,” Ri In shrugged and just poked on her rice bowl.

"Disappearing?" Nanhee echoed.

“That’s what he said, look, he’s not even here.” She pointed out before taking a small bite.

Nanhee grinned to herself.

“Why? Does he always have to eat lunch with us?”

“Ani, but who will he eat with? It’s not like he still has Hyerin.” She made a face.

“So, this is why you’re grumpy?” Nanhee mused as she chewed.

“Aniya, I just feel weird, I thought we did patch things up. And he’s acting odd again, it’s like he’s~”

Mark suddenly stepped in the cafeteria, chatting with three sophomore girls.

“Hot and cold. It’s frustrating. And annoying.” She stated just as Mark reached their table.

“Nanhee, Ronnie~”

“I’m done eating, see you in class.” She said as she stood up and walked away from table, Mark blinked in confusion and watched her as she left the cafeteria.

“She didn’t even touch her food.” Mark stated as he sat down.

“Ya! You idiot!” Nanhee snapped and slapped his arm.

“Why?” Mark whined, Nanhee just groaned.

“You..You....Why are you like this?”

“What did I do now? Not~”

“You’re avoiding her again.”

Mark paused and refused to meet her gaze.

“I..just..Being around her can be a little...”

“I don’t know anymore, you’re on your own, pabo.” Nanhee rolled her eyes at him.

 

 

It was their final period and anyone could feel excitement around the air, it was finally time for the championship game.

Mark glanced at Ronnie beside him, she had been fastidiously ignoring him the whole afternoon.

“I have to go first,” He nudged her leg with the tip of his shoe.

Okay, good luck.” She replied quietly and went back to reading her book.

“Ronnie, I~”

“See you at the game.” She said as she stood up and gathered her books and dropped them all in her backpack.

Hey, is something wrong?

Ronnie faced him and shook her head.

“You’re confusing me, Lee Minhyung.” She stated as their other classmates started to pile out of the room.

“I don’t know if you’re still mad at me over the Jeno incident or did I something wrong, because you keep on avoiding me.”

Mark’s eyes widened.

“Ronnie, it’s not that. I just~”

Save it. Just go get ready for the game.” She said before turning away from him.

 

 

 

“Agasshi, hi.” Jeno said as he walked up to the older girl. Ronnie grinned back at him.

“You don’t seem to be nervous,” She stated as they walked together towards the bleachers, students from Poongjin were also starting to arrive.

“I try not to be, nothing good will happen if I’m all in knots inside.”

“Good point, and..we’re here.” She said as they reached Nanhee.

“Agasshi, I heard about what happened,” Jeno pointed towards her knee, she flinched.

“We’ll kick their butts for you.”

“As if you know who those guys are.” She mused as she sat down.

“They do.” Nanhee replied, Ri In blinked.

“We know their jersey numbers.” Jeno winked before running back to the field.

“They’re not going to do anything...bad, right?” Ronnie whispered to Nanhee as the crowd started to cheer.

 

 

 

“Well, if it reaches Mark’s ears, who knows.” Nanhee said to herself quietly.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++