012

His First and Last

 

Ronnie was about to head to the vending machine when she saw Mark helping Nanhee to a bench, her brows rose when Mark took the piece of cloth from her knee.

Blood?” She froze, she made her way towards the two and paused.

“Ri In,” Nanhee saw her, Ronnie took note of her messy hair and disheveled uniform.

“What happened?” She asked, Mark didn’t reply, he just took out a disinfectant from his backpack and a band-aid.

Nanhee gestured towards Mark and shook her head.

“Did someone try to beat you up?” Ri In said as she leaned over and tried to fix her hair, Mark suddenly stood up, and his eyes went to Ronnie briefly.

“Mark, what~”

“I already cleaned her wound. I’ll see you at class.” He said quietly, Ronnie grew alarmed at the tone of his voice.

Hey, did something....?” She caught his arm, Mark bit his lip and faced her.

“Nothing that will concern you, Ronnie. Help Nanhee clean up, ‘kay?” Mark cupped her cheek briefly before walking away.

Ronnie just watched as he approached the stairs that led to their classroom.

 

Mark entered the music hall; it was empty except for the grand piano on the stage. He sighed as he took a seat on one of the cushioned seats.

“It’s because you always take her side! It’s always about Ri In!”

“Don’t change the topic, Mark. You always put Ri In first. It’s always about her!”

He closed his eyes briefly.

“You really think I wouldn’t find out?” Someone plopped down beside him and raised the arm rest between them.

Nanhee told you?

“She didn’t have to. It’s all over the school.” She said, her eyes glued on the stage.

“Ronnie~”

“Nanhee wouldn’t tell me the details no matter how much I bug her.” She continued and snuggled closer to him, Mark naturally wrapped one arm around her.

“And judging by that look on your face, you wont tell me either.”

“Bingo.” Mark nodded, she just groaned.

“She hurt Nanhee, huh? Her and her two friends.” Ronnie said carefully, she knew Mark. Mark wasn’t the type to tolerate violence in any kind, in fact sometimes Mark was just too perfect that it irked her. Because he was too close and dear to her and she hated to admit the fact that she was happy that Nanhee had somehow drove a wedge between Mark and Hyerin.

Hyerin doesn’t deserve her angel.

Ronnie didn’t force him to talk more, she just crossed her ankles together, and she could feel Mark twirling his fingers around the tips of her hair.

Dream girl isn’t how you imagined her to be?” She spoke lightly, trying to uplift his mood.

Mark paused, his turned his head slightly and studied her side profile, he smiled before replying.

…Yeah.” He nodded, Ronnie smiled and sat up, Mark put his arm down.

It’s time for class.” She said as she playfully mussed his hair and left the hall.

 

 

Mark scratched the back of his head as his teammates piled in the house, Jisung grinned at him before setting down three boxes of large pizzas in the living room.

“Why are you guys here?” Mark questioned, Jeno was already seated, studying the photos on the wall.

“He said since you cannot join the game tomorrow,” Jeno started, but Haechan chimed in,

“We’re throwing you this little party, and we all know you live alone, hyung, plus with that injury of yours, I figured you need something to cheer you up.”

Mark just eyed him warily; he could hear Jaemin rummaging through the kitchen, in search for more food.

“Whatever, I’m just going to go change. Don’t set the house on fire.” He warned before heading to the stairs.

 

 

 

“He lives alone?” Jeno echoed as soon as Mark disappeared.

“Family of doctors, heavily loaded and the elders are always busy.” Jaemin shrugged.

“Didn’t expect that from our team captain, huh?” Jisung nodded as he plopped down and switched on the TV.

Then they heard the front door open, Haechan looked up.

“Are we expecting someone else?” Jeno asked.

Mark? You can’t just leave the front door open. Have you eaten? Why does it smell like pizza? Mark?” A familiar voice continued to ramble on.

“N—Noona.” Jisung spoke, she blinked before smiling at him. Jeno looked at her get up, he was about to stand when Mark appeared.

Ronnie!” He sighed before walking up to her, quickly bent down and tied the sleeves of one of his sweaters around her waist.

“How do you survive walking around in those in this weather?” Haechan shook his head, Mark sent her a look. She was dressed in a pair of short silk shorts and on old Knicks jersey.

“Hi, agasshi.” Jeno spoke, she grinned at him, and her eyes landed on the pizza and proceeded to claim a slice and sat down on the carpeted floor.

“This is not a very healthy dinner for young athletes like you.” She said before taking a bite.

“Shouldn’t you be at home?” Mark asked as he plopped down beside her, she shook her head and just inched closer to him for warmth.

“It’s awkward at home; I’d rather hang out with your jock friends.” She mused.

“You know, stereotyping us won’t get you anywhere, Cheon Ri In.” Haechan stated, she just rolled her eyes at him.

“Hey, you okay?” She asked as she gently bumped her head against his, Mark just nodded and leaned the side of his head on hers.

Jeno glanced at the two, his brows met briefly.

You always like to bottle things inside, you worry me when you do that.” She shook her head and stood up.

“I’ll go get us some juice.”

 

 

 

Ronnie opened the fridge and took out some juice and a few cans of soda.

“You live right across?” Jeno joined her; she looked at him and nodded.

“Didn’t think you’d see me again after school?” She mused at him before sitting down on one of the stools.

“It’s not a bad thing.” Jeno replied, she grinned at him.

Jeno took the seat next to hers and took the bottle of juice she was having a hard time opening.

“Well, it looks better now.” She said as she gently touched his cheek.

“Battle scars.” Jeno mused at her, she shook her head.

“And yet you still want me to watch that bloody game when you know I can’t stand blood.” She chided and leaned back on the stool heavily.

“It was a bet, agasshi.” He chuckled, then he reached behind her and righted the stool before it would topple over, Ri In didn’t seem to notice because she was still chewing on her pizza, Jeno smiled, amused. He just let her lean on his hand as she ate.

“No fair, you~”

“What? You’re watching the game?” Mark was standing by the doorway; his cast now had funny little drawings, obviously by Haechan and Jaemin.

“I lost a bet, bub.” Ronnie shrugged and offered him some cola.

“Of all times, the one game I’m sitting out.” Mark pointed out as he picked up the can, his fingers curled around it tightly.

“That’s good then, we both get to watch it. It’s my first bleacher experience.” She nudged Jeno, who just smiled back.

And then Nanhee’s words replayed on his head.

Mark didn’t speak as he untied the handkerchief around her knee, the bleeding had stopped.

“Mark?”

“I know, I’m sorry, Hee. I didn’t..”

“About Hyerin..I know you can fix this, but….Can I ask you something?”

He looked up at her questioningly.

“Ri In is just a friend to you, right?”

“You asked me the same thing a few weeks after we first met.” He stated.

“And is your answer still the same?”

“Yes.” He said with a nod as he cleaned her wound, she hissed slightly.

“I just wanted to hear it again. Jeno…he likes her.”

Mark’s brows rose briefly, but he smiled.

“And I think he’s serious about Ri In.”

“Hyung?” Jeno’s voice made him look up and shake away his thoughts.

His eyes went to Ronnie who was looking at him expectantly, her eyes were bright as she smiled at him.

 

 

“Yeah, I guess.” Mark said quietly before leaving the two.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++