011

His First and Last

 

 

“It’s a mess, a mess.” Nanhee said as officials inspected their school, a fire had started at the cafeteria and as a result, before first period could start, all of the students were gathered at the field.

Jeno leaned on the table, his eyes darting around them, Ri In was still nowhere to be seen and he was getting a little worried.

And then Mark appeared by them, the other male sat up.

“You’re alone.” He said accusingly.

“Yeah, why isn’t Ronnie with you guys?” Mark questioned, Nanhee’s eyes widened.

“You’re the one who has the same classes with her, hyung.” Jeno started to stand, but they heard a familiar voice behind them.

“Ronnie!” Mark sighed, she glanced at them.

“Hi.” She said, Haechan chuckled and plopped down beside Nanhee.

“Where did you go~”

“Why didn’t you go to the field right away?” Jeno asked squarely as she joined them at the kiosk, Ronnie paused, surprised by his tone.

Mark closed his mouth and sat down, his arms crossed.

“I was about to, but Haechan here insisted that I walk with him. Slowpoke.” She said dryly and swatted his hand away before he could take her juice, Haechan grinned and just glanced at the team captain briefly.

“I don’t think it’s a laughing matter. The cafeteria was on fire.” Jeno stated flatly, Nanhee tensed. But Ronnie just smiled, she shivered lightly, then she scooted next to Jeno, who was dressed warmly in a thick coat, then she wrapped her arms around him and pressed the side of her cheek against his arm, Jeno tensed.

“That’s normal behavior for her; Ri In’s the type to not like wearing thicker clothes.” Haechan mused, Nanhee grinned.

“You can imagine how surprise Jisung was when she suddenly did that to him.”

“It’s cold.” Ri In mumbled defensively as she looked at the table blankly. Jeno smiled softly and just gently pulling her closer to him.

Mark looked away.

“This is why people misunderstand you and Mark hyung most of the time, noona.” Haechan said, her lips quirked up, she nudged Mark’s shoe with hers.

“You’re quiet.” She said.

“I’ll go get something to eat.” He replied, he stood up and left the table.

“He does know that the cafeteria was just on fire, right?” Nanhee echoed.

Ronnie just shook her head.

 

 

Nanhee fixed her hair and checked her skirt before reaching for the cubicle door, before she could step out she heard Hyerin and her two friends enter the restroom, she winced.

“What? That happened?” Goeun pressed.

Nanhee just sighed and hoped that they would leave.

“Of course, he ran off, even if I asked him to wait for me. But somehow that Cheon Ri In managed to pull him along again with her antics.”

“That dirty girl.” Seulgi spat, Nanhee’s fists curled tightly.

“I don’t understand Mark at all, what does he see in that girl? She’s even hounding that younger guy, Jeno.” Hyerin stated.

“There’s been some talk going about them, how Ri In’s just using him just to get Mark from you.”

“I know, do you think I’d let that Cheon Ri In~”

Nanhee pushed the door open, Hyerin and her friends were stunned to see her there, but smirks started to form on the girls’ faces.

“What did she ever do to you?” Nanhee stated.

“Look, the fat one is trying to play hero.” Seulgi mused, Nanhee shook her head.

“Ri In has always been better than all of you, all you know is how to fix your hair and shorten your skirts.” Nanhee spat, Hyerin chuckled and moved towards her, Nanhee swallowed.

“You always like to interfere, don’t you?” Hyerin poked her, Nanhee staggered back.

“Get your hands~”

Hyerin just kicked her shin and pulled her ponytail.

 

 

“So, are you trying to tell me that you want to change sports?” Ronnie asked as she and Jeno reached the empty basketball court, she now wearing his coat and had sweater paws.

Jeno grinned at her as he picked up a ball.

“I want to strike a deal with you, sunbaenim.” He said playfully, Ronnie looked surprised but she nodded for him to continue.

“Does it involve food? Because I’m kinda hungry.” She huffed, she hated being out in the cold.

“If this ball goes in, you’ll come to the game this Thursday.”

“Heol!” She balked at him.

“It better not go in then.”

“Your turn, agasshi. What do you want me to do if this doesn’t go in?” Jeno dribbled gracefully, she scrunched her nose.

Her brows then went up.

“You’ll do it no matter what it is, right?” She asked again, her thoughts going back to her parents’ questioning and her mother’s constant nagging last night.

“It’s a deal.” Jeno nodded, he walked to her and tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear.

“I need a boyfriend.” She said, Jeno’s eyes widened.

“It’s just a thing…my mom can be a little…we have this party to go too..and~”

“Okay.” Jeno nodded before walking back towards the ring.

“You’re okay with that?” Ronnie asked, confused as he started raise his wrists.

“I’ll do it even if I win this.”

“But Jeno, you~”

With a slight movement of his wrists, the ball flew over and cleanly got through the hoop.

Jeno chuckled and walked towards her, victorious.

“I don’t know what to feel..thanks..but you .” She muttered darkly before Jeno just wrapped one arm around her neck and pulled her back to the cluster of students at the field.

“I’ll be expecting you waving pompoms too, agasshi.”

“Over my dead body.” She sighed, Jeno just smiled as they reached their friends.

 

 

“It’s people like you that make our school look bad.” Hyerin spat as she dragged Nanhee across the cold tiled floor, she yanked her up and made her face the mirrors.

The other female students rushed to get out of the restroom.

“And what you’re doing makes this institution better?” Nanhee pointed out, ignoring the pain from her skinned knee.

Goeun the tap, Nanhee’s eyes widened as she realized what Hyerin was planning to do.

“You deserve to~”

“Hyerin!” A masculine voice all made them to stop, Mark stormed in the room, his eyes locked on Nanhee briefly before facing his girlfriend.

“Mark, I~”

“Let go of her.” Mark spat, Hyerin dropped her hands to her sides, Nanhee slid down to the floor, her knee bleeding.

“Mark, I was just~”

Mark sidestepped her, he knelt down and took out his handkerchief and carefully tied it around Nanhee’s wounded knee, Nanhee could feel anger radiating from her friend, and she just bit down her lip.

“Can you stand?” Mark asked softly, his tone measured.

“I can.” She nodded, Mark took her hand anyway and supported her weight as she stood up.

Goeun and Seulgi both were trying to hide behind Hyerin, they also didn’t miss how Mark’s entire aura had changed.

“Mark, you’re just~”

“I don’t think you can explain yourself out of this.” Mark spoke, his tone unnervingly cold.

“It’s because you always take her side! It’s always about Ri In!” Hyerin snapped at him, Mark shook his head.

“I can’t tolerate this, you’re my girlfriend but you’re here, torturing one of my friends. Are you going to the same thing to Haechan too? Then Jisung?”

“Don’t change the topic, Mark. You always put Ri In first. It’s always about her!” She yelled at him.

“I know that’s my mistake, but that doesn’t give you the right to hurt Nanhee or anyone.” Mark said calmly, Hyerin looked away, tears started to stream down her face.

“Mark, calm down.” Nanhee whispered, she could see how agitated he was.

“Mark, let’s talk about this.” Hyerin said, but he just shook his head.

 

 

“Some space would do us well, Hyerin. I can’t deal with this.” He said before pulling Nanhee out of the ladies’ restroom, he ignored all the waiting students outside who were listening in as they reached the doors.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++