Guilt and Laughter.

Choreography for the Heart.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At the Ramen Shop, we managed to get a seat at a small table by the window. You noticed how loudly he sighed, when we were told the room we previously had on our first visit was booked. So we sat by the window, in silence.

You saw how when he was dissapointed, he was quiet. An eerie kind of quiet that both scared you and comforted you. It comforted you becuase he appeared to look nonchalant about all the bad things in his life, but at the same time, he didn't smile or make jokes. He was just still, just like in the pictures he had captured of you two before. 

You watched as he adjusted the soy sauce bottles, the salt/pepper packets across the table. Between Him and You, there was nothing but the space on the small table. The waiter broke our silence as we both ordered the same spicy miso ramen as we did before. Your mind thought of the first time you were alone here with JB, eating ramen. 

How he was quiet then, as he is now, even though we had become so close now. You weren't sure if he was so dissapointed because we coudn't get the same room, or because you had seemed angry in the Taxi. Whatever it was, it now made you uncomfortable, to see him like this, to see him so sad and quiet. 

"Hey JB...,"you softly whispered as you slid your hands across the table, to gently touch his hands..,"Are you okay..?"

He slowly looked up at you, finally making eye contact with you and gave you a small smile. 

"I'm fine..just sad that we coudn't be alone again in that room..I sort of wanted things to be the same way..as the first time..,"he said, taking your hands in his and gently rubbing them. 

We both looked at each other and smiled. Although on the inside, you felt like your soul was crushing. Time kept ticking on the watch he had on, second after second, minute after minute, untill you could only hold him one last time. It seemed like both of us wanted to leave eachother smiling, on a positive note, but it was hard, and his face was showing, and so was yours.

We slupred on our ramen as the rain gently fell outside. Drop by drop tapping against the window, to ease the silence between us. The restuarant was filled with chatter and laughter. Stories of love, friendships and co-workers surrounded us as the two of us, tried to think about words to say. Somehow, even with the silence, we were alright. In his silence, you found joy, because you noticed how he would take care of you. 

He slid the napkin to your side, when the broth would splatter. He offered you his water when you finished all of yours. He did all this, before you even had to ask. He took care of the little things, things that seem small but meant a lot to you. He just had a way about him, the way he protected you and his instincts to care for you, were what made him so appealing to you. 

Even in the cold silence, we found warmth between our glances and gestures. The rain still tapping against the window, as we paid our bill. We were again in that small hallway, where he had first held your hand in secrecy. We made our way up those steep stairs again, his broad back facing you as he lead you out, just as he did the first time. This time though, he did not glance back at you, he just walked straight up the stairs, and you followed behind. 

You remembered, how you had to muster up your courage the first time you both walked from this restuarant to the subway station. You remembered how you tried to think of a million questions to ask him, but only stupid ones came out of your mouth. You remember how you he paced his fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter