21.

The Forgotten Warrior
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

21.

“Still messy, I see.” Kyra notes dryly, moving a shirt off of his desk chair to sit in it.

He smiles slightly before pointing to the crutches that she placed on the floor. “Are you alright?”

She shrugs. “Apparently I'll be limping for a while but I'll live.”

They both lapse into an uncomfortable silence before Kyra speaks again, looking at her hands. “Our parents were great. Mom was a technician and Dad was a computer engineer. They were such nice people, always looking out for us.”

“You remember them?” He asks, sitting on his bed across from her.

“Of course.” She continues. “They just had one thing wrong. Mom’s brother was the head of the Crows. He would come into our house and threaten our father, forcing him to use his technology skills to help him. Did you know that our father was one of the main creators of chips?”

“Seriously?”

She nods. “Yep. He was a genius. When I was seven, Mom began to teach you how to fight. You were closest with her and I was closest with Dad. He taught me everything that he knew, even when I was so young. You were a great fighter. So good that even our Uncle wanted you.”

“Did he kill them?”

She nods. “He came and tried to take you but they fought back. Dad was never a good fighter and he died quickly. But, Mom-” She breaks off, sighing. “Mom fought until the end. She made me promise to protect you and then I ran with you, hid in an alley for three days straight. After four months, our Uncle stopped looking. I think he thought we died.”

Jin says nothing as she continues. “I stole for about a year before deciding that I didn't want you to grow up on the streets. I built a computer, complete with an AI.”

“As in Artificial Intelligene?”

“Say hello, Angel.” Kyra mutters.

Jin's computer, which is next to Kyra, springs to life. “An AI. It is a form of artificial intelligence.”

He stares at his computer, surprised. “Seokjin, meet Angel.”

“This is Angel? I thought she was a person.” He chuckles.

Kyra smirks as Angel responds, amused. “Nope. Just a computer program.”

“That's not all.” She shakes her head. “She's everywhere. I upgraded her later on to be centered around the Internet and my earpiece. She's who I was talking to in Russian.” She points to her ear, where the earpiece sits.

He gapes at it before shrugging. “I guess that makes sense.”

“Who else would spend time with me?” She jokes, her smile not quite meeting her eyes. “Where was I?”

“You made me.” Angel supplies.

She nods. “Right. Well, I was found out that some people who were enemies of our Uncle were forming a group of sorts and I reached out to them. They were overjoyed to here from the famed daughter and son of our parents. We reached a deal: I would do errands for them and they would give us a room to live in.”

“That's how you got that room?” He thinks back, smiling.

“We had some good times in that room.” She recollects. “That's where I taught you to fight. You remember that, don't you?” He nods. “I was preparing you while I kept you safe.”

“Then what happened to us?” He asks.

“I fell in love.” She admits after a long moment. “I was stealing food for you and he caught me. I eventually started a gang with him. Those men were my best friends.”

She pauses. “I started to resent you because I had to keep you secret. But then, when I was turning, I think, nineteen, the gang that I created killed our Uncle’s gang to gain control of the Crows. They got word of the group that we were in and ambushed us one night. We had to run back to the streets.”

He nods. “You told me it was our enemies.”

Kyra shrugs. “They were your enemies. Still are. But, to me, I was running from my best friends. It was rough. I decided to distract myself, teaching you how to hack.”

“That's why you taught me?”

She chuckles. “I wasn't really teaching you, though.”

Angel speaks up. “You were helping her expand me.”

Kyra smiles. “You actually helped me get her on the Internet. There was just one problem. How could I keep you a secret when I was on the run? My boyfriend, actually fiance at the time,” She breaks off, pulling a necklace from under her neck. The necklace is a simple silver chain with a ring on the end. “He followed me to you and confronted me. I finally told him about yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter