Don't Say Goodbye

Holding Back the Tears

Don't say goodbye...
You are the only one for me.

Jaejoong listened to the song over and over again, curled up on in a ball on the floor. His eyes showed no sign of life or vitality. He was no better than a dead person; the only difference was that Jaejoong was breathing, and dead people didn't. 

It was December 26, 2011. Jaejoong had spent the previous day, Christmas, alone. Junsu was in his hometown to celebrate with his family, while Yoochun was off in America with his mother and brother to celebrate it in ia. But Jaejoong had nobody. Not that it mattered to him. 

Yoochun and Junsu had no idea about Jaejoong's state. They left the day before he went to meet up with Yunho and never called once to check up on him. Ever since his talk with Yunho, Jaejoong never moved with the exception of his chest moving up and down, his blinking eyes, or getting up occasionally to get a glass of water and to use the restroom. He didn't eat; he forced himself to eat once only to regurgitate everything back up an hour later. 

Yoochun and Junsu had promised that they would arrive at Jaejoong's house in time for their 8th anniversary together, but it was already eleven o'clock and there was absolutely no sign of them. 

Tears ran down Jaejoong's cheeks. I'm all alone. Even they've forgotten about me. I'm just an insignificant person living in this world of seven billion people, why am I still alive?

He remained in misery for an hour, when his phone rang. His ringtone pierced through his ears and into his brain. He hadn't heard sounds in such a long time, that was how isolated he was. Yoochun.

"Jaejoong," Yoochun was obviously out of breath. "I got out of the plane and I'm on my way to your house but there's a major car accident in front of me and I've been stuck here for an hour now. I think it's going to be a long time until I can get to your place so wait for me, okay? I'm coming, I promise, just give me some time."

Promise. It was a word that was thrown around too much, too casually. "I promise I'll be there for you forever" Yunho had once said. But was he there with Jaejoong right now? No. No, he wasn't. 

No matter how far we’re separated, we’ll come back together one day. There. Another broken promise. 

Jaejoong's train of thought was disrupted by Yoochun's voice yet again. "Yah, are you there? Jae, you awake?"

Jaejoong snapped out of his daydreaming and responded to Yoochun. "Yeah, it's okay, I'll be waiting with Junsu once he comes."

"Mianhe, Jaejoong. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Don't worry about it," Jaejoong said. "I can wait." 

He hung up the phone, and a call from Junsu followed shortly after. 

"Yah, Jaejoong," Junsu squealed into the phone.

Jaejoong felt his lips tug upwards a little at the edges, but kept his tone sharp. "Kim Junsu, use formal language to your hyung."

"Ah, right. Mianhe, mianhe." Junsu paused. "Uh, there's really bad traffic congestion and I'm still really far from Seoul. The cars haven't moved for like an hour now, so I think I'll be running late. Is that okay with you? I promise I'll make it up to you, really, I promise."

Again. Again with the broken promises, again with that stupid traffic.

Jaejoong forced himself to smile and sound cheery. "Okay Junsu, I'll be waiting."

"I'll be there as soon as I can, really." Junsu sounded apologetic. He then hung up.

What am I supposed to do now? Jaejoong suddenly felt restless after remaining idle for so long.

He decided to do the first thing he could think of.

He grabbed his keys and decided to go for a drive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong didn't know where he was going. He had no clue which road he was on, or which city he was in, for that matter. He simply drove mindlessly to wherever his brain took him.

Like my life, he thought. Where am I going in life? Why am I so lost? What am I doing here?

He got a phone call from Yoochun.

"Jaejoong-ah I'm already at your apartment with Junsu, where are you? You said you would be waiting man, what are you doing? Come on, we need to celebrate." 

"Araso, I'm coming back now, I just came out for a ride." 

"Okay, hurry hurry my mom made some food and it's going to become all soggy if we wait too long."

Jaejoong laughed. "Fine, I'm coming, I said I was coming."

He pulled out his GPS and entered the address for his house. A few seconds later, a robotic female voice told him to turn go straight and turn left in 5.5 miles. 

Wouldn't it be nice? If I had a GPS in life, telling me where to turn, telling me if I was heading the wrong direction and if I needed to turn back?

Jaejoong had been driving for an hour when he noticed the time. Shoot, it's already six o'clock, I need to hurry if I'm going to make it back in time. He sped up faster, going about about 15 km/ hour (24mph) faster than the speed limit. He knew he reached Seoul when he was surrounded by the familiar buildings and skyscrapers around him. 

Almost home. While he was waiting at a stoplight, the massive LCD screen on the side of a building began playing a clip that he never wanted to see in his life.

"Jung Yunho, the leader of DBSK, has announced his engagement today to a non-celebrity girlfriend. They have reportedly been dating for two years and we wish this couple congratu..." The light turned green and Jaejoong raced forward at an alarmingly high speed. He couldn't take it, he needed to get away from that wretched news. 

Angrily, he speed at 160km/h (100 mph) down the streets of Seoul, weaving recklessly through cars. His mind was in a frenzy; all his feelings was a mixture of hurt, anger, devastation, and insanity. He was about to reach an intersection when he heard the sound of honking cars and yelling around him.

Don't like my driving? it up and deal with it. 

But the drivers weren't honking at him. They were honking at the drunk driver of a truck, who was speeding too and ran the red light.

The truck that was heading right at Jaejoong.