Broken Glass

Holding Back the Tears

"You'll be fine?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine," Jaejoong sighed for the umpteenth time. He had finally managed to convinced Yoochun and Junsu to go on a vacation, just the two of them.

"There's enough food for a week in the refrigerator and all your medicine is placed in the cabinet above the paper towels," Junsu explained. "If there's any problems, call me or Yoochun; I put the post-it with our numbers on the front of the refrigerator."

"Yeah, yeah I got it."

Yoochun stared at Jaejoong's face before twisting his mouth into a frown. "Are you okay, Jaejoong? You haven't been the same ever since yesterday; melancholy, somehow. Do you want us to stay with you?"

Jaejoong was jolted at his soulmate's ability to read through his emotions so effortlessly. "Y-y-yeah just go, it's okay, I'm okay."

Yoochun's eyes pierced through Jaejoong's, a look that demonstrated that he was not convinced. "We love you, Jaejoong."

Jaejoong swallowed back a lump that began to swell in his throat and bit down on his tongue.

"Yeah, love you too," he muttered as he shoved them out the door. "Hurry and go, you're going to miss your train if you don't scoot."

Yoochun and Junsu waved to Jaejoong as they began walking backwards down the sidewalk, their breaths coming out in a misty fog as they uttered their goodbyes. Jaejoong watched them until they became two spots in the distance, illuminated by a stream of light from the street lamps in the dark and frosty early morning.

Jaejoong turned and trudged back to his apartment, where he flopped down on his bed. The house was suddenly so vacant without Yoochun and Junsu, and a wave of forsaken feelings washed over him as he recalled what it had been like after the lawsuit, when he moved out of the dormitory he had shared the four other members and into an apartment by himself. It had been a tormenting transition for him, to go from sleeping at night to the sound of soft chattering and a grouchy leader telling them to shut up to sleeping in a cold, empty bed, the overwhelming silence roaring in his ears.

"Aish," he grumbled to himself as he dragged himself from the bed. He shuffled to the kitchen, where he began cleaning the mass of dishes and glasses that had accumulated the past two weeks. Yoochun and Junsu had been outstanding caretakers in every way, except in the field of housekeeping. Every other day, they would quarrel with each other over whose turn it was to clean the house. Every time, they ended up kissing and making up, which led to them procrastinating. 

Ten minutes later, Jaejoong huffed as he put the last glass out on the counter to dry when he heard a soft little thump on his front door. He washed his hands and walked to the front door, only to find it was the delivery boy, out on his daily rounds to deliver newspapers.

He winced when he snapped himself with the rubber band as he tried to peel it off the newspaper. Staring back at him in a bold font was the headline: Jung Yunho's fiancee is pregnant?

His hands shook as a bewildering mixture of anger, heartbreak, and denial boiled inside him. Unable to find another way to vent his feelings, he let out a frustrated scream and swept his arms through the collection of glasses and dishes that were on the counter. A sense of satisfaction settled inside him, only to be replaced by horror when he took notice of the blood rapidly seeping out. 

.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours later, Yoochun and Junsu returned home earlier than expected, only to find Jaejoong sprawled out on the ground in a pool of blood. Junsu felt his blood run cold as he dropped to his knees beside Jaejoong's unmoving body as Yoochun frantically called 119.

As they sat in the hospital corridor, Junsu broke the silence.

"We should call Yunho and Changmin, just so they're informed."

"No." Yoochun was firm and uncompromising. "The doctor said he'll be fine anyway."

Junsu bit his lip and excused himself to the bathroom. Once he made sure there was no one else in the vicinity around him, he pulled out his cell phone. He reasoned that if Yunho and Changmin decided to go to the hospital, he would have their assistance in controlling Yoochun's wrath.

The irony of it all amused him to a small extent; he was hoping to control Yoochun's anger with the help of those who instigated it.

"Yobosaeyo?" Yunho's voice was exhausted, weary.

"Hyung."

"Oh Junsu-yah. What is it?"

"Jaejoong-hyung..."

"How is he?" Yunho became flustered and anxious at the mention of the man's name.

"Hyung, he's in the hospital again. He..."

Yunho cut him off. "Where are you?"

"Seoul Hospital."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong's eyelids flickered open as he slowly recollected his senses. He squinted as his pupils attempted to adjust to the sudden contrast of lighting and found Yoochun standing over him, anxious.

He shrunk away from Yoochun's scrutinizing gaze, as if the baritone was reading his emotions.

"The broken glass."

Jaejoong looked down at his bandaged wounds and winced at the memory. "What about it?"

"Why did you break the glass?"

Jaejoong opened and closed his mouth, but was unable to form words.

Yoochun continued staring at Jaejoong, his eyes carefully dissecting Jaejoong's emotions as he spoke for the bed-ridden man.

"You remember." It wasn't a question, nor did it need a confirmation. It was a declaration, unwavering and definite.

There was no use lying to his soulmate. Jaejoong nodded in affirmation.

"So you found out."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone have a Tumblr? http://darknesseyesdbsk.tumblr.com/