Always Keep the Faith

Holding Back the Tears

The doctor stepped out of the operating room, proceeded by a stretcher containing a body with a starch white sheet.

A white sheet.

A death.

Yunho brought his hand to his mouth, trying to contain the choking sobs that escaped his throat, tears flowing freely. 

Yoochun felt Junsu's nails dig into his arm, his expression full of incredulity and agony. He reached out and grabbed Changmin's hand, the latter accepting it gratefully and squeezing it for dear life.

The doctor approached them, his face apologetic and dreaded. "Are you the family and friends of Kim Minho-ssi?"

"What?" Yoochun straightened up. "No, we're here for Kim Jaejoong."

"Ah." The doctor bowed to them and moved on, gesturing for the nurses pushing the gurney to follow. 

They all sat down and breathed out a sigh of relief, but they knew their ordeal wasn't over. If fate was cruel enough, the scene they just encountered would be played all over again.

"I know you're glad that deceased man wasn't Jaejoong, but have a little empathy for that man too," Leeteuk said. "They say he didn't have any family, I overheard."

Everyone looked down, their hearts going out for the man who died. How it must have felt, to not have anyone present while you were living, to have no one weep or mourn for you while you passed away. It reminded them how important it was to be there for one another, especially for Yunho, Changmin, Yoochun and Junsu.

A thought crossed Kyuhyun's mind. "Does Jaejoong hyung's family know about this accident?" 

"His sisters know and they're on their way right now; they're keeping it a secret from his parents for now because of their ailing health," Yoochun replied.

Two hours passed with no word from the operating room. Their hopes of Jaejoong's survival began to diminish slowly, the number of forlorn faces increasing every half an hour.

"Keep the faith," Changmin murmured softly. "Always keep the faith."

Yoochun smiled through his tears and reached out to grab the maknae's hand while gently ruffling his hair with his other hand. "That's right, Changmin. Always keep the faith."

After treacherously awaiting for the denouement, a doctor stepped outside, heading towards them. "I presume you are the friends of Kim Jaejoong?"

Changmin rushed up to the man in the blue scrubs. "Appa, how is he? Appa, tell me he's going to be alright. Right appa? He's going to be alright, right?"

The doctor sighed and peeled Changmin off of him. "Son, it doesn't look to good." He turned and detected Junsu and Yoochun, his expression a conflicting array of disapproval and concern.

Yoochun eyes bore back. He couldn't hate Changmin's father for restraining him from leaving SM, but at the same time, it would be a long while before he could bring himself to forgive him. Nonetheless, Jaejoong's life was in his hands and personal feelings were to be pushed aside at the moment.

"Doctor, how is he?"

The doctor sighed. "It doesn't look too good. There's only a 5% chance he's going to make it overnight. If he can make it overnight, there is a higher chance of survival. However, he will most likely remain in a coma and spend the remainder of his life as a vegetable."

Junsu was sick of the pessimism spewing out of the doctor's mouth. "Isn't there any way he could fully recover?"

"With the circumstances, I'm going to say there's a very very slim chance something like that is going to occur. It's going to take a medical miracle if that's going to happen."

"Well can we see him, at the very least?"

The doctor nodded. "He's not conscious, and make sure too many people don't crowd in the room. He's situated in room 126."

Yunho glanced back at the Super Junior members.

"We'll stay out here," Siwon asserted. "Go on."

They hastily walked down the corridor, to room 126, Yunho leading the way. When they arrived, Yunho put his door on the handle, hesitating.

He tried to brace himself for the scene he was about to witness. "I can't do this," he breathed.

Yoochun stepped forward to open the door, Changmin and Junsu following suit while clutching onto each other's clothes like two terrified toddlers lost at a mall.

Yunho closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, trying to keep a calm facade. But his disguise shattered as he observed Jaejoong, hooked up to various tubes, wires and machines.

This was not how he remembered Jaejoong. His Jaejoong, the one usually smiling with his resplendent dimples embedded on each cheek. The Jaejoong who would run around the kitchen, chastising those who disturbed his cooking and smacking them lightly on their bottoms with his spatula.

The lighthearted, effervescent Jaejoong. Where are you? Come back, come back to me.

He made his way over to Jaejoong, and took his hand.

"Jaejoong-ah, wake up," he begged tearfully.

No response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~