Sense

Holding Back the Tears

Jaejoong stared at the number for a while, pondering to call or not when a text came in.

{Jung Yunho, 5:45PM}
Junsu-yah I left some things at Jaejoong's house, can you bring them to me?

Jaejoong replied to the message before his conscience could tell him otherwise.

{Kim Junsu, 5:46PM}
Araso, what's your address?

{Jung Yunho, 5:48PM}
521 Apgujungdong, Kangnam Gu, Seoul.

{Kim Junsu, 5:50PM}
I'll drop by tomorrow.

Junsu stepped out of the shower and shook his wet hair, which caused droplets of water to fling everywhere. Jaejoong scrambled to delete the texts and hastily memorized the address.

"Jaejoong, what's wrong? You look freaked out."

"There was just a - a spider." Jaejoong's heart beat rapidly as the lie slipped out of his mouth.

Junsu laughed. "Have Jiji take care of it, she loves eating them, doesn't she?" 

"Jiji?"

Junsu mentally kicked himself for his slip up. "I'm becoming a crazy cat man, aren't I? Thinking about my cats day and night..."

"You have cats?"

Junsu nodded proudly, like a father proud of his son's accomplishments. He opened the refrigerator door and pulled out a container of food.

"Are you hungry?"

"A little."

"Sit here; I'll warm up the food."

Jaejoong pulled out a stool and watched as Junsu shuffled around the kitchen, looking a little lost as he attempted to maneuver around. He flashed back to the images of Yunho running around the kitchen, making food as he and Changmin looked on.

"Junsu, are you close friends with Yunho?"

A container of soup slipped out of Junsu's hands as he attempted to transfer its contents to a bowl, creating a huge mess. "Somewhat."

"Can I see him again?"

"He's a busy man, Jaejoong."

Jaejoong's face turned somber again. Of course, he couldn't expect Yunho to return the same feelings, the same attachment he had to the man. He had been living in his own world for the past week or so; it was time to return to the real world of heartbreak, bitterness, and despair. He might have been naive, having lost his memories in the accident, but at least he knew that much. The world never was and never will be perfect.

Junsu concentrated on wiping the spilled food on the marble floor. He didn't want to look at Jaejoong's tormented expression; it hurt him to watch Jaejoong's pain. As much as he loved Yunho and Changmin, he was still resentful. One couldn't just cut off contact from someone else for two years and criticize them so brazenly and expect to reconcile as if nothing happened. He no longer believed in the YunJae couple. It wasn't the fairy-tale love that the fans had imagined them to be, filled with subtle touches, knowing glances and soft kisses. It was a rocky relationship, tainted with jealousy, tears, and resentment of having to keep a secret relationship, even from their family. And if Junsu was able to turn back time, he would have wished the YunJae couple never occurred; he wasn't going to watch Yunho, and most importantly, Jaejoong go through that kind of pain ever again. 

He threw the soggy towels in the trash can and pulled out another batch of soup from the refrigerator. As he waited for the microwave to heat the food, he looked back at Jaejoong. The man was lost in thought,  eyes downcast and teeth biting down on his lower lip.

Junsu distributed the food into two bowls and set it down. The atmosphere was awkward, and they ate their meal in silence. Jaejoong ate half of his food before he pushed it away.

"I lost my appetite."

Junsu looked up. "I'll wrap it so you can eat it tomorrow."

"I'm going to go sleep."

Junsu silently nodded.

Jaejoong retreated to his bedroom, where he found Yoochun out on the balcony, smoking a cigarette. He wordlessly joined Yoochun, shivering slightly as he breathed in the chilly air. 

Yoochun turned his head slightly. "You're going to catch a cold if you don't wear a jacket."

Jaejoong sighed and pressed his body to Yoochun's to obtain some of his body heat. Yoochun wrapped his arm around Jaejoong's thin body and extinguished his cigarette in an ashtray. 

"Jaejoong-ah."

"Wae?"

"We need to talk."

"About what?"

"Earlier, you were talking to Junsu-"

"I thought you were asleep."

Yoochun shrugged. "It was a catnap."

Jaejoong didn't answer.

"Jaejoong, people come and go in your life. Yunho was simply a substitute caretaker for us. It's his job to take care of you, and now that we're back, he's moved on to taking care of other patients. There aren't any personal feelings involved in jobs like ours. Don't go around looking for him."

"I never said I was looking for him." 

"You told Junsu you wanted to see him."

Jaejoong let the silence hang for a moment.

"If there are no personal feelings involved, why is your arm around me?"

Yoochun rolled his eyes and dropped his arm.