Lifeless

Holding Back the Tears

Jaejoong paced back and forth with his cellphone, unsure of what to do. 

Should I call him? He opened his phone and was about to dial the number he obtained from Yesung, but lost his courage and shut his phone. He screamed in frustration. How hard can this be? I just need to dial some numbers and hit call. Since when did you become such a coward, Kim Jaejoong?

Yoochun, who was in the living room, heard Jaejoong's screams and poked his head into Jaejoong's room to investigate what was going on. He saw Jaejoong's phone in his hand and knew what was going on.

"Trying to call Yunho, aren't you? Just do it, Jaejoong. If you can't do it, I'll do it for you. Just get it over with." He snatched the phone away from Jaejoong and began dialing the numbers. 

Jaejoong snatched the phone away from Yoochun. "No. I'll do it myself. I'll do it right now. I can do this." He put his phone over his heart, took a deep breath, and pressed the numbers. He paused for a while before hitting the call button, but seeing Yoochun's supportive eyes, he closed his eyes and hit the button that could possibly change his life.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Yunho, pick up. Please, I beg you. "Yoboseyo?" This voice. This voice he hadn't heard for over two years, the voice he yearned to hear for so long. His thoughts scattered, and he didn't know what to say. "Yoboseyo, is anyone there?" 

Jaejoong looked over at Yoochun. Say something, Yoochun mouthed.

Jaejoong bit his lip. "Yunho-ah...it's me." 

"Jaejoong?" Yunho asked, incredulous.

"Can I meet up with you sometime?"

"Umm... I don't know, I'm busy preparing for something." Yunho replied.

I know, your engagement. "Please, Yunho? It's very important." Jaejoong begged.

"Fine, I'll meet you on Tuesday at 5, at the Han River." Jaejoong heard a woman's voice calling for Yunho. "Look, I have to go now." Click. The line disconnected.

Tears ran down Jaejoong's perfectly sculpted face. 

"What'd he say?" Yoochun asked. 

"He said yes."

"Then why are you crying?"

Jaejoong just shook his head and gently pushed Yoochun out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong sat on a bench, waiting for Yunho and nervously biting his nails. It was a bad habit, he knew, but at least it was better than smoking. He heard footsteps behind him and knew that Yunho arrived. He turned and saw Yunho with an indifferent expression on his face. He then moved and sat down next to Jaejoong, but maintained a distance of about two feet from him.

This was not the reunion he expected. Jaejoong had dreamed about a reunion much more emotional than this, with each other hugging the other and crying happy tears. Had Yunho really changed that much? Things really have changed, haven't they? Too far to repair?

Jaejoong wasn't sure where to start. Finally, he decided to get right to the point. There was no use beating around the bush. He needed answers, and he needed them now before his fragile heart shattered into a thousand pieces.

"I...heard you were getting married."

Upon hearing this, Yunho's face lit up into a huge smile. "Yes, she's the most beautiful person on earth."

Jaejoong felt an intense pain in his chest, and he didn't need a doctor to tell him what was wrong with him. "Yunho... I'm still in love with you, you know."

Yunho's face returned back to its original, blank expression. "Jaejoong, you need to get over that," he said harshly.

Jaejoong felt himself quietly gasp for air. "You're asking me to just fall out of love like that? You think its that easy?"

Yunho sighed. "Jaejoong... please be realistic. We need to get married, have children, grow old, and get grandchildren. What we had those years back... think of it as a fun little experiment, if you would. It was fun and cute while it lasted, but now I've come back to reality and I think you should too."

Jaejoong felt his life slip out of him. Yunho had nothing else to say and walked away, and Jaejoong watched as his heart and life left with Yunho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To clarify: when I said life slip out of him, I meant like....soul and feeling. Jaejoong's not dead or anything.