Of Returns and Heartbreak

Holding Back the Tears

A slender woman stepped out of the revolving doors and pulled her pea coat tighter around her body to shield herself from the frigid early morning air. She craned her head to search for an available taxi, which were scarce, considering most of the drivers were asleep at that time of the night. She finally managed to flag one down and threw her luggage in the trunk.

"To Jung Yunho's house, please."

The driver obliged and she sat back in her seat, fiddling with the massive diamond on her ring finger with a slight smile on her face. How she loved that man...

She was deep in her reverie when the driver interrupted her. "We're here, ma'am."

She snapped out of her thoughts and paid the driver before pulling her luggage out of the trunk. She walked past a cluster of sasaeng fans and shook her head at the poor souls who squandered away their life waiting for a man, who quite frankly, would never be theirs.

Because he was hers.

And she wasn't about to share.

She flashed a smile at the security guard at the door, who recognized her immediately and pulled the door open for her. She slipped into an elevator and tapped her foot impatiently as it sluggishly inched up the floors.

After what seemed like an eternity, she finally reached the top floor and rapidly punched in the passcode to Yunho's villa.

"Baby, I'm home."

There was no response. She stomped into the living room, where she found Yunho sitting cross legged on the couch.

"Babe, I said, I'm home."

He turned around and rose to his feet. He closed the distance between them and engulfed her in a hug. "How was your trip?"

She pouted, unsatisfied. "No kiss?"

Yunho drew in a sharp breath and swooped down to capture her lips. "You didn't answer my question."

She snuggled in his arms, content. "It was fine. Of course, I wish you'd been there with me."

Yunho smiled bitterly. He couldn't bear to hurt this woman and strip her of her beatitude and felicity.

She could sense her fiance's hesitation. "What's wrong?"

"About our marriage..."

She stared at his face, terrorized. "What?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong dragged himself out of bed and apprehensively peered at Yoochun's face. The man was in a deep sleep, breathing peacefully with a serene smile on his face.

Jaejoong squinted at his clock as his eyes attempted to focus on the bright red letters on the clock. It was three in the morning; exactly as he scheduled. Junsu typically woke up at six and Yoochun - that man never woke up on his own accord. That left him three hours to get to Yunho's and back to his house.

He grabbed the suitcase filled with Changmin and Yunho's belongings from under his bed and stealthily headed towards the door. When he reached the street, he waved his hand about wildly to attract the attention of a taxi. After minutes of multiple fruitless attempts, he finally managed to flag one down. He ran over from the overhang, attempting to avoid the heavy raindrops that poured down.

"To Jung Yunho's house, please," he huffed.

"Awful lot of people going to his house at this hour," the driver mused.

"Excuse me?"

"Just drove an agasshi to his house five minutes ago." The driver adjusted his mirror. "Say, aren't you Kim Jaejoong?"

Jaejoong's head snapped up. "How do you know my name?"

The driver laughed. "Who doesn't?"

Jaejoong's hand tightened around the car handle, ready to jump out if anything extreme happened. "Who are you?"

The old man was perplexed. "A taxi driver?'

"Why do you know my name?"

The driver put two and two together. "Oh, you were on the news for having some kind of freak accident. Don't remember the details, my age is catching up to me." He stepped on the brakes abruptly. "We're here."

Jaejoong unclenched his fists and reached into his back pocket for money. "Here." 

He was about to step out of the car when the driver stared at his exposed face and stopped him. "Here, take this."

Jaejoong stared at the man's outstretched hand, holding a hat and surgical mask. The man jerked his head at the objects. "Go on, take them."

Jaejoong dubiously reached out and took the objects. 

"Put them on, flu season's quite strong this year and the rain's going to get into your eyes."

"Thank you."

The driver nodded. "Good luck."