Mother and Daughter

The Promise

 

“Soon Geum… I mean Zowee?”

“Shinhye… Wei?”

“Let’s go out with the band.”

“What band?”

“You know… FT Island. We’ll be celebrating Minhwan and I’s 100 days at the amusement park. We promised everyone to go and treat them.”

“Why ask me?”

“Of course! You are my best friend! You are the only one who knows that I’m with Minari…”

“Will Jaejin be there?”

“Ne… He also asked me if you would come?”

“Really? Hmm… Araseo. I’ll come with you after my exam.”

“Uhmm.. Jaejin would fetch you at your school… So wait for him. We’ll meet at the park. Araseo? Ok. Bye.”

“Wai—“

 

Wait. He’s… What? Eottoke! He’ll be fetching me?! I better dress up nicely. Eottoke?! What to wear?! What time is it? I’ll buy clothes first.

 

“Eomma! Eomma!” I was looking around the house for my mother.

“What?” She was in the kitchen preparing breakfast.

“Is the mall open right now?”

“Hmm… They are. Why?”

“Eomma. I’ll just go and buy some clothes. My closet seems kinda empty. I’ll be back before my exam…”

“Eat your breakfast first.”

“Anee… I’ll eat it when I come back.”

“Araseo.”

 

I came rushing down our house and to the local mall. Good thing our house is only a distance away from the mall.

 

***

“Miss? Can I fit these?” I asked the saleslady while holding a cute pink dress.

“Ne. Please follow me.” The saleslady replied.

 

After fitting the dress, I stood in front of the mirror. I can’t recognize myself. I don’t look like an American girl anymore… I am getting more Korean. I have curls and full bangs. My Korean features are showing up.

 

“Wow! Miss! You are so beautiful. You should take it.”

“Really? Araseo. I’ll get it.” Looking at myself.

“How about some shoes?”

“Do you have flats or some doll shoes?”

“Ne. Here this is the most suitable shoes for the dress.” She showed me a white doll shoes with a small ribbon as its accent.

“I’ll take it too.”

 

I paid for the bill. Thank god it was on sale or my credit card bill would be dead. I dashed towards our house and prepared for myself.

***

I was fixing my hair when someone knocked on my door.

 

“Zowee…”

“Oh. Eomma!” I was surprised that it was my mother.

“Can I help you with what you are doing?” She asked me.

“Sure.”

 

She started combing my hair and fixing it.

 

“Zowee, you are so beautiful.”

“Eomma…”

“You know, I really wanted to do this everyday since you were a kid.”

“Why did you and Papa had a divorce?” I asked directly.

“You really want to know?”

 

I nodded. She sat on my bed facing me. I can see tiny wrinkles on her face. The sign of her age is getting more obvious. She has the most beautiful smile. I can see my eyes on her. I never imagined that Mom would be the most beautiful person that God has given to me. I felt regret that I never spent more time with her.

 

“Your father and I separated because of your hal-abeoji.”

“Grandpa?”

“My father doesn’t really want him to be his son-in-law.”

“But why? You got married already…”

“He said that he would sue your father if didn’t have a divorce.”

“Oh my. Why? What about me?”

“You were 1 year old when that happened. I’ll tell you the story more in the future…”

“So you agreed that I’ll stay with Papa until I get into college? Is that it?”

“You are so smart… Ne. That’s why your father insisted.”

“I’m sorry Mama. I’m sorry for all the hurtful words that I said to you.”

“It’s okay… As long as you are with me… I am happy.”

“Eomma…”

“Ya! You better prepare yourself. You’ll have your exam in a few—“

“Eomma… I’ll ask you one last question.”

“What is it?”

“Eomma… If I’ll go out with a Korean guy… would you accept him?”

“Of course! If he really loves you, I’ll accept him.”

“Really?! Gomawo Eomma!!!” I hugged her tightly.

“Aigoo! Aigoo! Is that why you bought clothes and making yourself pretty?”

“Ne.”

“Alright. I’ll help you fix yourself.”

 

My mother helped me fix myself. She did my hair and make-up. Now that I know the story why my parents divorced, I felt that I am a real person right now. I don’t have hatred in my heart. I went to my exam. This day would be one of the happiest days that I had in my entire life.

 

 

 

~~i made this chapter because I think this needs to opened up and to end any misunderstanding with the mother and daughter. hope you like it. another exciting chapter ahead! :D