Awaken

The Promise

 

“What?!” Meeyon said.

“Why? Isn’t this a brilliant idea?” I suggested.

“Well… It would just ruin my family’s trust with me…”

“You are breaking your trust with them right now.”

“But I think It’s a brilliant idea…”

“All we need is to talk to Soon Geum and Seunghyun.”

“Araseo…”

 

***

“Hyung!”

“Aaaaah! My little brother! You are all grown up!” My brother, Lee Shin, arrived.

“Yaaa! Hyung! We need to go immediately to the hospital. Everyone is waiting for you.”

“We’ll be dead if Abeoji would know this.”

“I know. But isn’t this great! We are all together.”

“Let’s go now. I want to see Abeoji.”

 

My brother and I went directly to the hospital. We talked about each other stories while we were apart.

 

“Jaejin…” He spoke.

“Yes?”

“Let me meet your girlfriend.” He said.

“Soon Geum? Sure! You’ll be happy to meet her.”

“Really? Hmm… Describe her.”

“She has the most beautiful eyes, blonde hair like mine…”

“Blonde?”

“Yes. It’s natural color was brown but she wanted to be blonde. She has a mixed blood. She’s half-Korean and half-American. She’s beautiful, hyung!”

“Hmm… Invite her for dinner? What do you think?”

“Tomorrow would be great!”

“Araseo.”

 

***

“Welcome Dr. Lee Shin.” The nurses greeted him.

“Thank you.” He replied with a smile.

“Aaaah! He’s so cute!” The nurses whispered.

“Hyung, you seemed to be popular with the nurses…” I winked.

“I know! This handsome doctor would walk in front of you… How would you react?” He said jokingly.

 

We toured the hospital until we reached our father’s room. It was the biggest room in the hospital. My father has every machine that could monitor his condition, assuring that he is fine. Lee Shin slowly approached our father. To give them some time, I sat at the small living space and read the newspaper.

As I was browsing the newspaper, I happen to pass by an article about loving life, loving family and finding the one you truly love.

                If you really love that person and you know he/she is worth fighting for, then ready your weapons because you are going to enter the biggest battle of your life.

I am ready to face any battle just to fight for my love for Soon Geum. I know that she is the person that I want to spend my whole life with. She’s my star, she’s my life now. We would win this battle. We would.

 

***

“Have you called Soon Geum about tomorrow’s dinner?”  Lee Shin asked.

“Aah. Not yet.” I replied.

“Call her now. I’m excited.”

“Well, I’m planning to tell her personally.”

“You’re going now?”

“Yes.”

“Araseo. Take care.”

“Okay Hyung and by the way, you’ll be staying at our house. Okay? No need for hotels. You’ll be sleeping at your old room. I didn’t use it.”

 

I immediately left the building and drove towards Soon Geum’s house. I the radio and listened to the songs. I was shocked. They were playing our song. My band’s song. It was a dream come true for us. I called every member to listen to the radio. Everyone was happy to hear it. I also called Soon Geum to listen to it and she was happy.

 

***

“Let’s have dinner tomorrow?” I asked the blonde girl in front of me.

“Where?” She asked.

“At my place. Hyung wants to meet you.”

“Your brother arrived?”

“Fortunately, yes.”

“So that means you will have time to study for the exams.”

“Yes and I would have more time with you.”

“Focus on your exams. Don’t mind me.”

“Ani… I’ll see you everyday.” I hugged her tightly.

“Aaww. I love you.” She said with the softest voice she has.

“I love you too.”

“And by the way, we’ll meet with Seunghyun and Meeyon the day after tomorrow.”

“Why?”

“We need to talk about some plans.”

“What plan?”

“You’ll know the day after tomorrow.”

 

***

My brother and I tried our very best to prepare dinner for Soon Geum. Everyone was happy to meet Soon Geum. It would be her first time to visit our house but it was sad because she would not meet our father. It was already six o’clock in the evening when someone knocked on the door.

 

“Hello!” Soon Geum greeted me as I opened the door.

“Welcome!” I invited her in.

 

We walked towards the dining room and she saw my brother preparing the table.

 

“Welcome Soon Geum! It’s nice to meet my future sister-in-law.” Lee Shin winked at me.

“Hyung!”

“I brought a cake.” She handed the cake to me.

“Wow. Thank you.” My brother thanked her.

“Let’s eat.”

 

While we were eating there were a lot of happy conversations. My brother asked everything he could ask Soon Geum. Everything went well at the dinner. The food was great. Everything was just a happy moment. I drove Soon Geum home.

 

“Oppa, your brother is really handsome.”

“Why? Am I not handsome?”

“Well, you too are handsome but he’s more handsome than you.”

“What?!”

“Joke only. You are the handsome-est from the most handsome people in this world for me.”

“It’s good to know.”

“Thank you for dinner. Tell Lee Shin oppa that I’m thankful.”

“Araseo.”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.” She kissed me on my cheek.

 

***

Everything went well until we went to meet Meeyeon and Seunghyun. Meeyeon was talking about our plan.

 

“Here’s our proposed plan. Since Meeyeon and I would be “engaged” when my father wakes up, why not we make our engagement on the day of our “engagement”. What do you think?” I said.

“Wait. I didn’t get it.” Soon Geum said.

“On the day of our engagement, we would announce our engagement with each other. Me and Seunghyun while You and Jaejin.” Meeyeon explained to Soon Geum.

“What?!” Soon Geum protested.

 

My phone suddenly rings.

 

“Yoboseo?”

“Jaejin!” It was Lee Shin.

“Why?”

“Abeoji, he woke up.”

“What?!”