Secrets are Meant to be Revealed

The Promise

 

It was a Friday when Charlie had her asthma attack. Though this day was supposedly our mother-and-daughter day, I decided that we should stay at home and rest. Fridays are also the time where me and my parents have a chance to talk about things over dinner. Family night was we are looking forward for every week since everyone seems to be available.

 

Papa Smith and Eomma arrived from a day at the spa. Papa treated him to after the incident this morning. Papa really knows how to treat Eomma well. Charlie welcomed them. They were happy to see our little girl happy and as if she never had an attack. She looks healthy and happy.

 

“Granpa, I am okay! Granma, you look so beautiful!” Charlie was telling her grandparents.

“Aww, are you sure you are okay little girl?” Papa asked her.

“Yes Granpa!” She replied with a thumb up.

“I’m hungry!” Eomma said.

“Dinner is ready!” I shouted from the kitchen.

 

Everyone sat down and had a sumptuous dinner. Though the doctor was clouding in my head, I tried my best not to make it noticeable. Of all the places here in America, why here?! WHY?!

 

After dinner, Louisa, Charlie’s nanny, got her to wash her up and prepare for bedtime. My parents and I went outside the backyard and had a little talk.

 

***

The smell of Chlorine from the huge bean shaped swimming pool and the trees surrounded us. My father and mother sat at the couch facing the pool. I was standing in front of them

 

“Eomma, Papa…” I started the conversation.

“What is it that you want to talk about?” Papa Smith asked.

“I think I saw Jaejin today.”

“Really?” Eomma was surprised.

“That kid better not show his face to me.” Papa Smith was furious.

“I am not worried if he would recognize me. I am worried about Charlie.” I said.

“But I think he needs to know he has a child.” Eomma has her side on him.

“I know but I think this isn’t the right time to tell him.” I replied.

“I don’t like the idea of telling him.” Papa Smith said.

“What about Charlie? We don’t know how she would react if she would know that his father is Jaejin.” Eomma was curious.

“I don’t know. I should be telling her everything about her father. Eventually, she would ask me where he is or who he is.” I said.

“Let’s take it day-by-day.” My mother suggested.

 

***
We don’t usually talk about our personal problems during Friday nights. We talk about business and how to make sure the business grows or earn profit. This night was different. My whole body felt heavy. My knees were weak. I passed by my daughter’s room and saw her wide awake. I entered her room and had a little chit chat with her.

 

“Why are you still up little girl?” I sat beside her.

“Mommy, you have Granpa. He’s your father right?” She asked.

I was getting nervous. I never thought that this moment would come so fast.

“Yes. Why?” I smiled back hiding my fear.

“Where is my father?” Her big brown eyes were looking at me.

 

It took me a minute to reply. I didn’t know what to say. I remembered my mother’s advice that to take everything day-by-day.

 

“Do you really want to know something about him?” I asked her.

“Ah-uh.” She nodded.

“Alright but here’s a deal, I will tell you one thing about him everyday. Is it okay?”

“Ah-uh. Pinky promise?” Her little angelic voice was ringing and she raised her little hand with her pinky raised.

“Pinky promise.” I gave her a promise.

“Alright. Here’s one. I met your father when I was a little kid.” I was reminiscing everything.

“Really? How?” She was more curious than before.

“Well, I’ll tell you another one tomorrow. You better sleep.” I was tucking her back to her sheets.

“Mommy, can you sing me to sleep?” She asked me.

“Okay. What song do you want?” I asked her.

“Hmm… Yume.” She said.

“Okay.”

 

I began singing Yume. She slowly closed her eyes. This was her lullaby. It was my lullaby. I still remember him singing me this to sleep over the phone. This was his composition. It was a Japanese song. I can still recall his voice in my head. When I realized that my angel had fallen into deep slumber, I went back to my office. I was about to cry. Memories were still fresh.

 

I opened my laptop and checked my mail. There was a very familiar e-mail address. The subject was my Korean name. I opened it and read it.

 

                Subject: Soon Geum!

                Sender: [email protected]

               

                Soon Geum,

 

                How are you doing? It has been four years since we last kept in touch. Do you still remember me? I hope so. Shinhye here! I missed you so much. How is America? How are you and your mother doing? I hope everything is fine. I read in the news that you are releasing a new line of clothes and opening a lot of shops lately. Business seems to be hard. If you are wondering how Minnie and I are right now, well we have a little boy. His name is Chinyong meaning he is our brave and precious one. How about your love life? Hihi. Maybe you already have someone new. By any chance, have you seen Jin? Or maybe not. Anyway, let’s keep in touch. Seunghyun and Meeyon eventually got married. Though Meeyon’s parents disagreed, they pursued the plan. Jonghun and Hongki announced their relationship and now happy to be together in public. (Well, many young ladies cried but eventually loved them…)

 The band will have a tour there and we’ll be tagging along. Well, at least for the summer. I wish to see you in L.A. Let’s keep in touch until we get there. Araseo? I missed my best friend a lot. I don’t have a chance to talk to anyone who knows me well here. I miss everything we do. Well, I hope we would see each other. You better take me to your shops because I loved your line. I love you and See you soon!

 

Love,

Shinhye

 

Shinhye’s e-mail said it all. It summarized what had happened for the past four years. The band was still together and now having a tour here in North America. Seunghyun and Meeyon got married and now happy. Shinhye and Minhwan already have a happy family. Jonghun and Hongki are now publicly displaying their affection and now make them a happier couple. I started typing my reply to her mail.

 

                Dearest Shinhye,

 

                How could I forget you?! I would not forgive myself if I would not remember you. I have been busy with our business lately and don’t have enough time to mingle and have happy times. I wanted to see you and have another bonding time with you. I MISS YOU!! I wish to be with you soon and see Chinyong! Tell me when you are going to arrive here and where you are staying so I could set my schedule and see you.

I don’t have a boyfriend. Okay? Haha. Business and my family seem to be my top priorities and I don’t want another headache coming to me. Though I had a lot of suitors lately, I didn’t mind them. I am not a man hater; it’s just that I don’t want to have one. And by the way! People call me Zowee here. Which is somehow kinda awkard.

Anyway, see you here in LA in a couple of weeks! Summer is about to come. You’ll enjoy it here. See you soon!

 

Missing you like it’s the end of the world,

Zowee

 

Seeing Shinhye in a couple of weeks made me feel a little excited. Seeing my bestfriend after four years would be great! I wanted to tell her I saw Jaejin but I can't.

 

But I have a problem to deal with. My Charlie wanted to know him.

 

***

Charlie was scheduled to have her check up. Check ups kind of creeps her. She’s scared of facing her doctor and having vaccines. This time, she was not. Eomma accompanied us to the hospital. They were seating on the back seat of my Mercedes Benz.

 

While I was driving, Charlie was talking a lot about Dr. Handsome.

 

“Mommy, am I going to see Dr. Handsome? Granma, you better see Dr. Handsome.” She was happy to tell everyone.

“Who’s he?” My mother asked her.

“He’s the one who attended to me when I had an attack.”

“Eomma, he’s the one I was telling you last night.” I looked at the rearview mirror to meet my mother’s eyes. Telling her who he was.

“Oh. I see. Well then, I better see him.” She smiled back at Charlie.

 

Eomma’s voice was kind of curious. I was thinking she wanted to see and talk to him.

 

I was nervous to see Dr. Roy Lee again.