Confessions

The Promise

 

“Why did we go here?” I asked.

“It’s because I loved this place… I love this place so much…” He said leading me to a bench.

 

Wait. This is where me and my childhood “sweetheart” made that promise. Does this mean?

 

“I guess you already know why…” His monotone voice came out.

“Ne?” With great confusion this is all I could say.

“Zowee, pinky promise?” Raising his right hand pinky.

“Oh my… Oh good lord… Is this true? Are you really?” I was about to burst into tears…

“Ne… I am the kid you met here 12 years ago.”

“Oh my… How did you know I was the Zowee you knew? How? Tell me!” I was so happy that I was crying.

“When we were still young, I follow you back home. Every day of summer, I would pass by your house and wait for you.”

“Then? Then?”

“I waited for you every summer but you never came back. Since that summer, I waited here wishing you would come back. Until the first day we met in school, my heart beat so fast. When you told me your name, I was shocked. I can still see your brown eyes. Your beautiful, innocent smile.”

“You knew it all along?! Why didn’t you tell me? I am also waiting for you…”

“I made some research first. I followed you home every single day and see you going home to the same house that my friend goes home.”

 

There was complete silence but tears came rushing down my face. They were never tears of sorrow but they are tears of joy. I am so happy. This is the perfect moment, our moment.

 

“Promises are not meant to be broken.” He said.

“Promise? The pinky promise?”

“Ne…”

“You promised me that you will court me…” I felt heat rushing through my cheeks.

“So… Can you be my… Girlfriend?” He asked looking through my eyes.

“Uhmm… Yes?” I replied.

“Really?! Really!? YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!” Jaejin was jumping and shouting.

“Ya!! Sit down! Shhh!!” I pulled him down.

 

He hugged me tightly.

 

“You just made me the happiest person in the world.” He said.

“You owe me many stories! You should tell me everything you did while I was gone.”

“Araseo. Wait. Should we tell your mother?”

“Hmm… Is it okay.”

“Yup.” He nodded.

“Araseo. Let’s go!” I held his hand and pulled him over our house.

 

***

“Eomma?! Eomma!” I was screaming looking for my mother.

“You came back!” Mama came out of her room.

“Good Morning Ma’am.” Jaejin greeted my mother.

“Mama, let’s sit down.” I asked her.

“What is it that you and I would like to talk about?” She asked while sitting.

“Mama, meet someone very dear to me… Lee Jaejin. Mama, he’s my boyfriend.”

“Annyeong Haseyo…” Jaejin bowed in front of my mother.

“Hmm… Hello. Nice to meet you. You seem kind of nice. Sit down.” Inviting Jaejin to sit.

“Kamsahamnida.” Jaejin replied.

“I only have one favor to ask of you.” Mama was talking to Jaejin.

“Yes?” He replied. I was only sitting, listening to them.

“Please don’t do something that would hurt my Soon Geum.” Mama’s voice was soft.

“Yes. I promise not to do anything that would hurt her. I assure you that I love her more than anything in this world.”

“And please, finish your studies first. Araseo?”

“Araseo, Auntie.” He said.

“Don’t call me Auntie. It makes me feel old. Call me Eomma.” Mom jokingly said.

“Araseo… Eomma.”

“Have your lunch here. Okay?”

“Ne.”

 

I was so happy that mother accepted him. At least now, I am at ease that my mother would like him so much. I love everything that is happening right now. I hope that it would stay this way, everyone is happy and contented.

 

“Oppa…” I asked Jaejin while Mama was preparing lunch.

“Why?”

“How about your father?”

 

He was startled. He squeezed my hand and looked straight into my eyes.

 

“I’ll handle him first and if we had a chance to talk to him, we’ll go. Araseo?”

“Araseo.”

 

He kissed me on my forehead assuring me that everything would be okay…

 

I hope so…

 

 

~~oh my! here goes everything!