Bass

The Promise

 

“Young Master, everyone is already at the conference room.” Butler Seo said.

“Araseo.” I stood up and looked at the time. It was only 12:30 in the afternoon.

 

I hope everything would end early.

 

***

“We have seen many medical improvements from our patients since we had the new treatment.” Director Kim announced.

“I see. Are we going to recommend it to the other patients?” I asked.

“Well, we need to see if they would be really effective.” Doctor Lim said.

“Well, why not we increase the people accepting the new treatment? How about we add 5 more patients?” I suggested.

“Well… That would be a good idea.” Director Kim agreed.

“Araseo. We’ll end the meeting here.” I announced.

“Good day.” Director Kim bid goodbye.

 

I rushed to my car. I looked at my car clock, it was only 1:30 p.m. I could make it. I know I could make it.

 

I drove even exceeding the speed limit. I don’t care if I would be given a ticket. I care more about my band, my family.

 

***

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!!

 

“Eottoke?! What time is it?!” I rushed towards the door. It was already 2:15 p.m. I was late.

 

I got in to my car and the radio. I looked for the station where we were supposed to be introduced.

 

“Annyeong! We are back on air. We are now with an Indie band named FT Island.” The announcer said.

“Annyeong Haseyo! We are F T Island.”

“They are here to play for us some songs that they have composed. While the others are setting up their instruments, we’ll interview their lead vocalist, Lee Hongki.”

“Annyeong Haseyo!” Hongki’s voice was very distinct.

 

Hongki was very playful as always. He would answer the host with full of enthusiasm. I can hear Minhwan playing with his drumsticks. Jonghun and Seunghyun were setting up their guitars. I can hear them strumming it. Who would play the bass?

 

Boom, boom, boom…

 

Is that the bass? It’s impossible for Myugul hyung to play it. Who is playing with it? Who?

 

“Ah. Our Leader and our lead guitarist is the ever handsome, Jonghun. The other on guitar is Seunghyun. On drums is our maknae, Minhwan. Our newest member is Soon Geum, she’s on bass.” Hongki was introducing the members.

“Wait. She’s a she? A girl!?” The host asked.

 

Wait! Girl. Soon Geum. Bass. No. she can’t be my Soon Geum. No. It can’t be.

 

“Ne. She’s a girl. She’s an amazing bassist. Our bassist can’t make it so she’ll be doing it for him.” Hongki said.

“Amazing. So let’s hear them play now. Are you ready?”

“Ne!”

 

They played many songs. They were good. But who is the new bassist? She can’t be Soon Geum. My Zowee. I was confused, until I remember what happened the other night.

 

“If something would happen on Thursday, please don’t be upset.”

 

Is this what she telling about? That I should not be upset? Soon Geum, you have done so many great things for me and this is the biggest one.

 

I waited for them to finish until I saw them going out.

 

“Myugul hyung.” I said.

“You came?” He asked.

“Well, 15 minutes late.”

“Hyung, meet our friend, Soon Geum.” Minhwan pulled her.

 

I didn’t saw a brunette and long haired girl, instead there was a blonde short haired girl.

 

“Oppa.” Her familiar voice was like a song.

“Soon Geum. Zowee?” I asked.

“Ne…”

 

She hugged me and I hugged her back.

 

“Thank her for saving you.” Myugul said.

“Ne, If it weren’t for her, we would not perform today.” Hongki said.

“Wait. Why were you not around?” Jonghun asked.

“Let’s talk about it at dinner. My treat!” I invited them with a smile.

“Yes!” Everyone was happy.

 

***

While driving to the Local Bar, Soon Geum and I were alone in the car.

 

“I was not upset. Gomawo.” I said.

“Ne?”

“You were great.”

“Ah. Thanks.”

“How did you learn to play the bass?”

“Uhmm… I asked Myugul hyung to teach me.”

“Really? He doesn’t accept tutoring.”

“I know. I asked Mary eonnie to convince him. I knew I would be handy.”

“Haha. Hyung really couldn’t resist eomma.”

“Ne…”

"Why did you cut your hair? What have you done?"

"Ah.. For them not to see any difference if you would be the one performing...?"

"What a reason. You should have not done that. You are beautiful the way you are..."

She was silent.

“Saranghaeyo Soon Geum-ssi… I love you whatever color of hair you would have. I love you with who you are.”

“Saranghaeyo oppa.” She kissed me on the cheek.

 

***

At the Local Bar…

 

“So you are saying that your father is at the hospital?” Myugul asked.

“Ne. We had a board meeting a while ago and I need to attend it since Shin hyung would not be arriving until Saturday.” I said.

“Mianhae if we were so harsh on you…” Hongki said.

“Awww! Yeobo, you look so cute.” Jonghun was pinching Hongki’s cheek.

“Ya!! Yeobo!!!” Hongki was shouting.

 

Everyone was happy. Thanks for Soon Geum’s presence. I wouldn’t know what to do. Everything went well. Now I would not worry about a thing. Everything would not be fine.

 

I hope so.

 

 

 

~~Mianhae for a late update. Here's a new chapter. :D I'm really sorry about not updating soon. :( :D ENJOY! still... thank you for the support!