Goodbye

The Promise

 

“Lee Shin?” Abeoji saw hyung beside him.

“Yes it is me, Abeoji.”

“It is a miracle for him to wake up early.” Abeoji’s cardiologist said.

“Where is Jaejin?” Father asked.

“I am here, Abeoji.”

“Jaejin, Shin, you two are the only reason I woke up. Lee Shin, I am sorry for not being with you. Please forgive me.” Abeoji was struggling to say.

“It’s okay, abeoji. Everything will stay behind us. We will start a new life.” Hyung said to father.

“Jaejin, please pursue Meeyon. Their family is the only chance we could save everything we have. Please do this for your father.” Abeoji was telling me.

 

There was complete silence. Hyung and I just stared at each other. We both know that I can’t do it because I love Soon Geum but everything that I have right now is from my father. Father had saved us from the misery of the loss of our mother. As a son, I have this duty to keep my family secured.

 

“Abeoji…” It was all I could say.

“We’ll be conducting a series of tests to assure your father’s condition. Hopefully after two weeks, if everything will go well, he could be discharged.” The doctor said.

“Let’s make him rest for now.” Lee Shin asked us.

 

***

“Meeyon?”

“Jaejin?”

“Are you still with them?”

“Soon Geum went home already.”

“Araseo.”

“How about your father? How is he?”

“He’s fine.”

“How about our engagement?”

“He asked me to pursue you.”

“What?!”

“I know. Maybe in two weeks time… We’ll have the engagement.”

“Eottoke?!”

“I know. We need to move fast.”

“Araseo. I’ll talk with Seunghyun about this.”

“Okay..”

 

***

For two days, Abeoji went through a lot of tests. Good thing he had good results. He had no other complications.

 

“Shin, Jaejin… Your father can be discharged tomorrow. But he still needs few days of rest.” Abeoji’s father was telling us.

“Araseo. Thank you doctor.” Lee Shin hyung replied.

 

The doctor went out of the room.

 

“Hyung, I don’t know how to break this Soon Geum.”

“You should tell her everything.” He advised me.

“But…”

“If she loves you, she would accept the consequences if she wanted to be with you.”

 

***

I drove over at the park where we first met. I was thinking of how I could tell her that we should do that ‘thing’ in the engagement. I sat at our bench and texted her.

 

                Soon Geum, please see me at the park. Now.

 

I was thinking on how to break this to her. I know her personality and I know she would not accept this very easily. I need to convince her to this. I wanted to be her. She’s the only girl for me.

 

“Oppa?” Her familiar sweet voice was ringing in my voice.

“Soon Geum.” I hugged her so tightly.

“Why call me suddenly?” Her sweet smile, I can’t break it. I can’t.

“I have something to tell you that I haven’t told you ago.”

“What is it?” There was confusion in her voice.

“We need to have our engagement.”

“What? But I am still studying…”

“I don’t care.”

“Is there something that I should know?”

“Me and Meeyon…”

“Are engaged?”

“Not really. Our parents are fixing our marriages.”

“Wait. I think I know it already. The ‘plan’ that you and Meeyon are telling us about is this?! And since your father woke up, you’ll have it at an earlier date. Your father wants you to be with her…”

“But I don’t want to be with her!” I raised my voice.

“I love you, Jaejin. You know that. But I won’t agree to a plan that would ruin your relationship with your father.”

“I thought you love me?! In this exact place, we made a promise. Are you going to break it?! We would be together forever. I promise you that.”

“But I our relationship won’t have the blessing of your father. I won’t be happy with that.”

“Father would eventually accept it…”

“When?! When he dies? Oppa, I don’t want that to happen.”

“But Seunghyun and Meeyon already agreed with this.”

“Well, I don’t.”

“It would be okay.”

“No, it would not.”

 

There was silence. I felt the heat coming up to my head. I was mad. She started sobbing.

 

“No, Soon Geum. I am sorry. I was selfish in doing this whole plan.”

“I know that you wanted me. I know that you wanted to fight for our love. But this is wrong.”

“There’s nothing wrong when you love someone. I would fight for you until the end.”

“You are young. We are young. I guess we were wrong.”

“What are you saying?”

“We were wrong that this relationship would work out.”

“What are you saying?”

 

She started to cry. Her tears were flowing. She looked at me and placed her two hands on my cheeks. She kissed me like it was her last.

 

“This thing would not work out. I am sorry but… I have to break my promise. I love you so much that I have to do this.” She was crying.

 

She ran away from the park. I wanted to follow her but there is a force dragging me not to run after her. Tears started to fall down my cheeks.

 

***

 

 

 

~~sorry for the late update!!!! it's already christmas break!! I promise! I would update often now! ;) thank you for the support! See you in the next part of this fanfic! :D