See You Soon

The Promise

 

We arrived at the hospital. Eomma was taking care of Charlie since it was Nanny Louisa’s day off. Charlie’s doctor was Dr. Nerise, a young female pediatrician. She’s only two years older than me but she looks younger. Maybe because of work is the reason I look older than my age.

 

We entered Dr. Nerise’s clinic. It was full of cartoon character stickers. There was a bowl of candy on her table that Charlie was reaching for.

 

“Hello there Charlie! You look good.” Dr. Nerise greeted Charlie.

“Heya Dr. Beautiful! You also look good.” She replied.

“I heard she had an attack yesterday.” Dr. Nerise was already talking to me.

“Yes.” I replied.

“Well, Dr. Handsome was there to save the day!” Charlie interrupted.

“Dr. Handsome?” She asked.

“Yes. The handsome doctor yesterday.” Charlie was explaining but has difficulty in describing him.

“Ah, Dr. Lee.” She remembered.

“Do you know him?” I asked.

“Well, of course. He’s one of the famous doctors. He discovered a possible cure to children’s asthma and to lessen its attack. He’s from Korea and also has a band. The band is on tour starting today so he’s not here.” She was looking at Charlie when she told he was not around.

“Why is he here?” I asked.

“For further study and for the tour.” She replied.

“Oh. Okay.”

 

The usual check-up happened but there were no vaccine shots today. Before going home, we happen to pass by Starbucks and had a little snack. I ordered my usual Macchiato, Charlie had her Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino, and Eomma had a simple brewed coffee. While hanging out, I checked on my mail using the iPad. Surprisingly, there was an e-mail from Shinye.

 

                Subject: We are in LA!

                Sender: [email protected]

 

Soon Geum/Zowee,

 

                I think you read my e-mail late. Yeah. The subject says it all. We are already in LA. We’ll be staying here at Beverly Hills Hotel. I’ve already told Laine, our road manager, that you would be seeing me. Just look for her at the front desk and tell your name. She’ll be the one to accompany you to our room. I am really excited to see you! Hurry! I’ll be waiting for you!

 

By the way, I told Laine that you are Soon Geum Smith. Araseo? See you!

 

Shinhye

 

They have arrived. I was surprised that Charlie was staring at me.

 

“Mommy, are you okay?” She asked.

“I am.” I said to her.

“Zowee, is there a problem?” Eomma asked.

 

I handed her the iPad. She was also surprised.

 

“Well, tell her to come to our house first for a dinner.” Eomma suggested.

“And let them see Charlie?”

“What about me, Mommy?” Charlie was anxious of what we were talking about.

“Hmm… You better go see Shinhye first. Then meet the others after that.” She said.

“I think that would be better.”

 

***

The next day, I went to the hotel. It was already two in the afternoon. I was assuming everyone was finished eating their lunch. I went to the front desk and asked for Laine. Laine was in the lounge at that time and approached me.

 

“Are you Ms. Soon Geum?” She asked. She looks Korean. She had a pale complexion with a natural make-up.

“Yes.” I said.

“Please follow me.” She told me and smiled.

 

She led the way to the elevator and pressed the number 9 button. The elevator went up fast. In a split second, the door opened and a big number 9 welcomed us. She led me to the 913 room. She knocked and a woman opened the door.

 

“Soon Geum!!!!” It was Shinhye.

 

She hugged me even before I speak.

 

“Thank you so much Laine.” She thanked Laine and Laine went to her room.

“Soon Geum, come in!” She invited me inside.

 

Their room was spacious enough for a big family to live in. The view was beautiful. There was a clear view of the pool and beach.

 

While my eyes wander around her room, there was a kid sitting on the couch watching Disney Channel.

 

“Zowee, here’s my little boy, Chinyong.” She introduced a cute little boy.

“Hello there, kiddo. He sure looks a lot like Minhwan.” I said.

“I know. That’s why his grandparents like him so much.”

“Annyeong Haseyo! I am Chinyong. How are you?” The little boy’s voice was gentle.

“Aww. You cute creature. I am fine. You are so cute!” I was smiling at him and he smiled back.

“Okay, you play with Nanny Nancy outside. Mama and Auntie will have a talk.” She commanded him.

 

Instantly, Chinyong went outside with his Nanny. Shinhye turned off the TV and invited me to sit on the couch.

 

“Now, tell me. How are you? You looked a little different! What’s with the fashion sense lately?” She was teasing me.

“An owner of a fashion empire should dress appropriately.” I was joking.

“You look beautiful.” She was complimenting me.

“You too! Your complexion is much better. You became prettier than before.”

“Minhwan seems to know how to take care of his wife.”

“Where are they?”

“They are at the concert venue. Having some sound check.”

“Oh.”

“Jin…” She popped out his name suddenly.

“What about him?” I answered acting as if I didn’t care.

“You sure you are ready to see him?” she asked.

“Yes! I am. Of course.” I can’t tell her that I already saw him beforehand.

“He’s not blonde anymore. He dyed it back to brown. Like yours.” She was teasing me.

“Oh. Really?”

 

She only looked at me and kept on teasing me. We had a happy afternoon. I have to go home early because I have to eat dinner at home or else Charlie would be mad.

 

“Go at our house for dinner before leaving for San Francisco.” I invited her.

“Give me your address and I’ll ask yeobo to go.”

 

I handed her my personal calling card with my contact details in it.

 

“My cellphone and my address is there. Don’t give this to other people. Araseo?” I reminded her before saying goodbye.

“Araseo.”

 

She accompanied me to the door. We hugged and bid our goodbyes. I was walking towards the elevator when she shouted.

 

“Hey Zowee! Can I bring the band along?”

“The band?”

 

I didn’t know how to respond.

 

“Sure.” I uttered.

“Alright! See you tomorrow night!” She said and closed the door.

 

Tomorrow night?! TOMORROW?! Eottoke?