Revelations

The Promise

 

“Mommy?” A little girl’s voice suddenly appeared.

 

I looked over at the door. Charlie was there together with my parents. Eomma and Papa looks nervous. Jaejin stood behind me. Charlie rushed over me. I held her and smiled at her, not showing any tension.

 

“Hello Charlie. Why did you come here?” My voice was a bit nervous.

“Mommy, I can’t sleep at the hotel. I want to see you. I want you singing a lullaby before I sleep that is why I asked Granma to go home.”

“Alright. I’ll sing you a lullaby. Let’s go up?” I asked her.

“Oh! You are Dr. Handsome!!! You know my mommy? Are you friends with her?” Charlie was looking at Jaejin.

“Yes, baby. She’s mommy’s friend. Alright, let’s go up.”

 

I walked towards Eomma.

 

“Eomma, please take care of them. I’ll just put her to sleep and I’ll come down after. The others are outside.” I told her.

“Araseo.”

 

***

I placed Charlie in my bed and put her to sleep. I was about to cry when I was looking at her. I’m afraid of what will happen next. I don’t want her to be away from me. I don’t want to. She’s my life. I won’t let him get her away from me. She’ll stay beside me. No matter what.

 

I went down. Everyone was at the living room. Jaejin was standing near the glass door. Eomma and Papa Smith were sitting beside each other and so the others. Everyone looked at me while I was walking towards the room. I sat down beside Eomma. Eomma held my hand. This time, I will tell them the truth.

 

“I have something to say.” I started. Everyone was listening. I can see Jaejin still looking outside.

“I have a little girl named, Charlie… She’s my daughter. I left Seoul, after Shinhye’s wedding, pregnant. I didn’t attend the graduation day because I have already a baby bump and I don’t want you to see it. I don’t want you all to know. I don’t know what to say that time. She is already 4 years old. She’s the sweetest thing I have ever had. I went back here and hid her. She is my life. She is…” I broke down. I was crying really hard.

 

Everyone was whispering. I hear them murmur words that I can’t understand. I was getting nauseous when Shinhye cracked a question.

 

“Who is the father, Soon Geum?”

 

Everyone was quiet. They were waiting for the answer.

 

“The father is…” I was about to tell them when…

“I am. I am Charlie’s father.” Jaejin said.

 

Everyone was shocked.

 

“Hyung, how did you know?” Minhwan asked.

“Are you sure about that?” Hongki added.

 

I was waiting for Jaejin to answer. He stood behind me.

 

“I did a DNA Test.” He announced.

“DNA?” Meeyon asked.

“When I saw Soon Geum rushed over the hospital and attended to Charlie, I had a big question. Charlie even called her mom. I knew right there and there that she is Soon Geum. I even called her Mrs. Smith, thinking that she got married and had a kid, but she instantly corrected me. She was still Ms. Smith. I was curious to know if she is mine. And I did the test.” He told us.

“What was the result?” Jonghun asked.

“Positive.”

 

I was crying silently. I was embarrassed and scared. How will this thing go? Where would this end?

 

“The problem right now is not the both of you, Jaejin and Zowee. The problem is Charlie. How are we going to tell her that you are his father? How are we going to answer her questions?” Papa Smith spoke up.

 

Everyone was thinking of a solution.

 

“We will be going on a tour. How can we do it?” Myugul said.

“Why don’t Soon Geum and Charlie join us during the tour?” Maeri eonnie suggested.

“That would be a good idea.” Jaejin said.

“Wait. I can’t do that. I have a business to handle. I can’t. I won’t agree with that.” I said.

“Is business more important than your daughter?!” Jaejin was about to raise his voice.

“No. I have a launching to be held next week. Your tour would start next week. I can’t postpone it because it has been planned for a year. I don’t want my employees’ efforts put to trash. I love my Charlie more than anything else. You better remember that before raising your voice.” I told him.

“Let him have Charlie during the start of the tour. You just follow them after the launch.” Eomma said.

“Eomma?! You know I can’t do that. I won’t let Charlie be with a stranger.” I said.

“I’m not a stranger. I am her father.” Jaejin said.

 

Everyone was quiet listening to our argument when someone from the stairs spoke up.

 

“Daddy?” Charlie was standing there holding her little goat stuff toy.

“Charlie?” I ran towards her.

“Mommy? Why are you crying? Is my daddy here? I want to see him. Where is he? I want to hug him. Where?” She wanted to see him.

“You really want to know him?” I asked.

“Yes Mommy. Please?”

 

I carried her. I walked towards the living room and to Jaejin. I can see in his eyes that he wanted to be with her. He wants to have her.

 

“Dr. Handsome?” Charlie asked.

“Yes Baby, Dr. Handsome is your daddy. He is your Daddy Jaejin.” I told her.

“Daddy Jaejin?” She was asking him.

“Yes baby. Yes Charlie. I’m your daddy.” Jaejin told her.

 

Charlie reached for him. She was very welcoming. I gave her to him.

 

“Daddy, you love Mommy right?” Charlie asked.

“Uhmm…” He can’t answer.

“Charlie, why don’t you go to bed now? Let’s go.” I was asking her to come to me.

“No. I want to stay with him. Daddy, do you? Do you?” She really wanted to know.

“Yes. I do love your Mommy. Let’s go to your bed right now?” Jaejin said.

“Okay. Mommy, come with us.” Charlie wanted us to be with her.

“Yes baby.” I said.

 

I was still in shock. Does he really mean it? He still loves me? No. Maybe not. He just told her that.

 

***

“I am so happy to have my own daddy! Daddy, can you sing me to sleep?” Charlie was already lying in bed.

“What song do you want?” He was sitting beside her.

“Do you know Yume?” Charlie asked.

“Yume? You know Yume?” Jaejin was surprised.

“Yes. Mommy used to sing this to me. It’s my lullaby.”

 

I was standing by the door, watching only to them. Jaejin looked at me.

 

“Alright. I’ll sing to you Yume.” He said.

 

Jaejin started to sing Yume. His voice was still the same. Charlie easily slept. When Charlie was already sleeping, I approached her and kissed her on her forehead.

 

“Goodnight little girl…” I said.

 

I was about to walk away when Jaejin grabbed my hand, this time softly.

  

“I love you. I really do.” He said.  

 

 

 

~~HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :*