The Park

The Promise

 

I woke up at around 10 in the morning. It was a Saturday and I have my Korean Language class. I need to work on my Hangul and my grammar. Last night’s concert is still freaking me out. Is he really? Oh no. He’s too cool and too cute to be Roy. Roy is such a snob! The guy in the bar was like an angel.

 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

 

“Soon Geum! What happened?” My mom shouted while rushing to my room.

“Nothing… Just a nightmare.”

“Gwaenchanh-a?”

“Ne…”

“Wash up and eat your lunch. You need to go to language school at 1:00.”

“Araseo…”

 

***

The language school was not far from home. It was only two blocks away so I don’t need to ride anything. I passed by the city park. I knew I wanted to stay… I knew I wanted to see if he’s there. I’m not hoping that I would be with him; I just want to know his true name and be his friend. The park seems to be empty. He’s not there.

 

***

“Soon Geum, have you done your homework.” My teacher asked.

“Ne… I have read a whole article from the newspaper and wrote a summary of it.”

“For your lesson today, I want you to read this and make a summary of it.”

 

She hands me a newspaper and showed me the article.

 

Korea’s famous doctor’s son to inherit business after achieving college

                It was announced in the recent press conference of the Lee Medical Group that Lee Jae-Hwa’s son will inherit the said company. Lee Jae-jin, already in his junior year in college, says that he is very much thankful for the opportunity and is willing to work for the company…

 

Have I read it right? Lee… Jae… Jin..? The guy I saw last night… No… He’s not that guy. Really, why does he need to work in a bar if he is rich.

 

                …though there are rumors of him being married to Seo Mee-Yon of Meeyon Group of Companies, the president said that it is very early for his son to marry but he is open to be friends with the Meeyon Group of Companies. –END

 

Startled. Will he really be married?

 

***

I was walking home when I passed by the park. The park lights were already lit. The park seems to be empty so I decided to go. I was reminiscing my childhood years when I saw two guys sitting on one side of the park. I never meant to eavesdrop on their conversation so I hid behind the bush.

 

“Myugul-hyung, you know that I really don’t like what is happening right now.”

“You just need to accept the fact that you are the son of that Medical mogul.”

“Uggh.”

“Don’t tell me you are still waiting for her?”

“Who?”

“The girl you met here in the park.”

“Love is equivalent to wait. I’ll wait for her here. My First Love.”

“Yaaa! You’re getting emotional! Let’s go have a drink! Beer?

“Araseo…”

 

I heard footsteps slowly fading away. This ensured me that they have already away. I got up and started walking home…

 

Is he really the one I saw before? The cute little kid? Oh dear God, I want to know him. I want to see him. I want that promise to come true.