Abeoji

The Promise

 

 

Dreaming of you will always be mine…

“Ya! Hongki! You are losing your spark! We’ll have a big night. Many talent scouts will be watching you tonight. What’s happening?” Myugul was very pissed.

“Myugul hyung! Can we just have some rest? My voice is kinda croaky.” Hongki begging their manager.

“I agree with my yeobo. My fingers kinda hurt.” Jonghun holding his hands.

“Are you okay yeobo?” Hongki rushing towards Jonghun.

“I’m okay. How about you? You should rest… I would rather get hurt than you losing your voice.” Jonghun was checking up on Hongki.

“Myugul hyung, relax! We can do it. Promise!” Seunghyun said while patting Myugul’s shoulder.

“You have done great things for us hyung. We promise not to spoil this up.” Minhwan was sitting already in the couch holding his cellphone.

“All I ever wanted is for you guys to reach your dream…” Myugul was worried.

“Hyung, don’t worry. Just have faith in us. Araseo?” I said.

“Myugul…” A lady with a very soft voice entered the room.

“Maeri!” Myugul rushed to the door and hugged Maeri.

“Eomma!!!” Everyone greeted her.

“Let’s have a drink before the show starts.” Maeri invites us.

“Aneeyo… We’ll not drink. After their performance.” Myugul was holding Maeri’s hand.

“Araseo.” Maeri said with a small hint of disappointment.

 

***

It was a night we would not forget. One of the talent scouts who watched our performance was impressed and wanted us to become a guest band in one of their radio shows. Myugul was so happy.

 

“Please go to our radio station on Thursday. It would be a new program about aspiring musicians who want to be introduced. Please be there at 2 PM.” The talent scout said to Myugul.

“Yes, sir. Thank you so much.” Myugul replied.

“Kamsahamnida.” Everyone greeted the talent manager as he waved goodbye.

 

I still haven’t told Soon Geum about this yet since I want to surprise her. Soon Geum and I have been together for more than 3 months. Those three months have been blissful. Though we had little fights, we still try to make up and be in good terms again. I am happy with Soon Geum and I can’t ask for anything more. She seems to be my whole world, my inspiration.

 

***

I would be turning senior in about 2 months. It is my last year of being free from all the worries that our family have. This year, I would dedicate it to my love for music and my love for Soon Geum. I was driving home when I received a call.

 

“Yeoboseyo?” I answered.

“Young Master, your father…”

“What happened?”

“He’s at the hospital right now.”

“Why!?”

“He just had a cardiac arrest. Please go here now.”

 

I took a u-turn and went to the hospital.

 

***

“Where’s abeoji?” I rushed to the front desk.

“He’s at room 621 now.” The desk clerk replied.

 

I rushed towards the elevator and went to the 6th floor. I opened the door of the Room 621 and I saw my father lying on the hospital bed.

 

“Abeoji…”

“Your father is in a comatose state.” Father’s butler said.

“Eottoke? Is he okay? When will he wake up?”

“The doctors still doesn’t know. All we can do right now is wait.”

“Abeoji…”

“You need to handle the business, sir.”

“What?”

“You are the one who will inherit all of this. You should be responsible now since your father is in this state.”

“Aneeyo. It’s my last year. I need to graduate first. I can’t handle the hospital and his patients if I don’t have any experience.”

“We can look for other ways…”

“If you are suggesting doing something about my school records, I’m telling you not to do it. I’ll figure out a way.”

“Yes sir.”

 

***

I am still not ready to have this big responsibility. I am still young. I need to be free. I didn’t know that this have to be this early. I can only think of one solution, though I know father would not approve to this…

 

“Hello?” His deep voice was still the same.

“Lee Shin Hyung?” I asked.

“Oh. Jaejin. Why?”

“Please come back here…”

“I can’t. You know abeo—“

“Abeoji is in the hospital. He had a heart attack.” I told him the news.

“Why? What happened?”

“Please come here and handle everything. I need to finish my studies.”

“But what will father say when he wakes up?”

“I’ll be the one to explain to him… Please come.”

“Ok. Ok. I’ll be there on Friday.”

“Gomawo hyung!”

 

I felt relieved after calling him. At least now, I am free of obligations.

 

***

Butler Seo went to look for me.

 

“Young Master.” Bowing down.

“Why?”

“I would just like to inform you that there would be a board meeting on Thursday and you need to attend it.”

“Thursday? I can’t. I have…” I can’t tell him about the band.

“You have?”

“Nothing. What time would it be?”

“1 o’clock in the afternoon, sir.”

“How long would it last?”

“It depends sir, but usually it last for 2 hours.”

“What? Eottoke. I need to go somewhere at 2:00 pm. Can we move it?”

“No sir. But you can finish it early as long as everyone has talked all the issues and needs of the company.”

“Araseo.”

 

I don’t know how I could say this to Myugul hyung. I should tell him that I would be late. Eottoke?

 

***

Ring ring!

“Yopeoseyo?”

“Myugul Hyung.”

“Jaejin-ssi. Wei?”

“Let’s meet up with the band later.”

“Why?”

“I’ll tell you later. Araseo?”

“Araseo.”

 

Toot-toot-toot.