Courage

The Promise

 

I don’t usually have the guts to tell what I feel for others. If I am angry or if I am happy, I just keep it to myself. I always get the impression from other people that I am snobbish. Maybe, it’s because of how and where I grew up.

 

***

“Jaejin, when you grow up, I want you to become a doctor like your father.” My mother said while making me sleep.

“Ne. Papa is the best doctor in the world and I want to be like him.” I said to her.

“Really? Araseo. Now, you better sleep so that when you grow up you’ll be smart like your father.” With the last glimpse of her smile, I closed my eyes.

 

This was the last time I saw my mother. After sending me to sleep, she went to a party with my father. While going to the venue, a truck hit their car. My father survived but my mother didn’t.

 

***

On her funeral, all I did was cry. I was only 7 years old back then. My brother, Lee Shin, was the only one consoling me. Father, on the other hand, was busy entertaining the guest. On the day of her funeral, father didn’t cry.

 

“Eomma!!” Lee Shin was crying so hard.

“Eomma, I promise… I will sleep early so that I’ll be like father… Eomma! Please comeback!” I cried.

 

Ever since my mother’s funeral, father drowned himself from work and made himself one of Korea’s most respectable doctors. He created his own medical empire that he wished he could give to us, his children. But Lee Shin got tired of father’s attitude and went abroad to study medicine himself. Father didn’t give him any money when he left Korea. Now, he only depends on me.

 

***

How could I tell father that I am with Soon Geum? I know he’ll get mad since he’s planning to do something between Meeyon and I. How about Seunghyun? We’ll hurt so many persons. I need to have courage to tell father what I really feel. What I should say.

    

“Oppa? Are you okay?” Soon Geum asked.

“I’m okay. I’m just thinking about something.”

“What is it?”

“My father.”

“Should we tell him?”

“Aneeyo. I will talk to him first.” My voice is shaking.

“Are you sure you are really okay?” She rubbed my back to make me feel calm.

“Ne. I should go already.” I can see confusion in her eyes.

“Araseo.”

“Eomma… I’ll go now. Thank you for the delicious dinner.” I greeted.

    

We bid our goodbyes. How I wish everything would be like this. Soon Geum and I are happy. I got inside my car when my phone beeped. It was a text message from Soon Geum.

 

From: Soon Geum <3

Oppa, please don’t be scared anymore. I am here for you and will always be there for you.

Thank you for making me the happiest girl in the world.

Take care. Call me when you got home. Araseo? Saranghae. ^^

 

I smiled and because of what I read, I hurriedly drove back to our house. I am now ready to face my father.

 

***

“Abeoji. I have something to tell you.” He is sitting at the porch waiting for me and having tea.

“What is it?”

“I want to marry someone else.” I said with full conviction.

 

My father got up from his sit and approached me. I thought he was going to slap or punch me but he didn’t. He just tapped my shoulders and said.


“You are too young to say these words. After you graduate, you will be pre-occupied in handling the hospital. I’ll be the one to look for your wife. So, you don’t need to worry.” He slowly walked towards the door.

“Abeoji! I tell you, when it comes to my marriage, I will not let it go. I would marry the girl I love and no one else. I wouldn’t care about what you would say…”

 

Father was already inside our house. Eottoke? Why did father didn’t listen to me? It took me a hundred palpitations before I had the courage to say those words to him. What if father is planning something without my knowledge? What will happen to Soon Geum? To us? I don't want to hurt her feelings. I want to spend my forever with her... What should I do?

 

 

 

~~~since this is the part where we see jaejin's action... expect more JongKi and FT Island moments. hihi. kamsahamnida! please keep on supporting this story! :D