Four Years Was Just Too Long

The Promise

 

It has been four blissful years here in America. My father and mother got remarried after a year of rigorous courting of my father. They are now happily married. I have been handling the business after my graduation while doing my masters. I decided to stay here for my masters than go to Harvard or to any other universities since it would be hard for me to handle the business if I am far away. I was a hands-on president. I check on my employees, how they are doing, how the business was doing.

 

Many things have changed. The business grew a lot bigger than before requiring me full time. My hair grew back to the length that I used to have. I gained a little weight but not that much. Our house was renovated to be a bigger one, considering it to be a mansion. Business was harder than before that made me set my priorities.

 

I only have two priorities in my life, my family and the business. My family is so important to me. They were the ones who stood by me in the times of trouble. They were my source of happiness. But there is one person who is the primary source of my happiness.

 

That person’s name is Charlie. Charlie is my daughter.

 

Charlotte, or Charlie as we all call her, is a very smart and wonderful kid. She is now 4 years old and about to start study. She was my star when I am in darkness. My sunshine after the rain. My whole world revolves only to her. After everything that had happened to me, she was the only reason for me to live.

 

***

Riding my new Mercedes convertible was one of my relaxation time. LA was humid as usual but with a different feel. Flowers all around. It was great scenery. It was a day for me to check on our branches around malls. I was doing my usual rounds around the shops that we own around Beverly Hills when Eomma called.

 

“Zowee! We have an emergency!” Her voice was croaky.

“What happened?!” My voice rose.

“Charlie…”

 

Hearing my daughter’s name raised my body hair in fear.

 

“What happened to my baby?”

“She’s in the hospital right now. She had another asthma attack!” My mother explained.

“I’m going there.”

“Yes. Please do. We are all nervous here.”

 

I immediately turned and went to the hospital.

 

***

I rushed to the emergency doors and asked for the nurse my daughter’s whereabouts.

 

“Where is Charlotte Smith?” Tears was about to burst.

“She’s there.” The nurse was pointing at the pediatric room.

 

Without replying to her, I rushed to the room. She was the only kid in the room. She was awake and was laughing. She was talking to a man wearing a white laboratory gown. He was tall and had a dark brown hair. I assumed that he was the doctor checking on my daughter.

 

“Mommy!” I can see that my daughter was already fine.

“Oh gosh. Charlie! You made mommy worried!” I immediately hugged her.

“Mommy, this time, Charlie was not scared of the hospital.” She returned to her talkative personality.

“How? Why?” I was brushing her hair with my hands.

“Doctor Handsome was here to save me. He was my angel today.” She was pointing to the man standing beside us.

 

I looked up and saw this familiar guy. He was wearing circle, black-framed glasses. I think I saw him somewhere but I can’t remember.

 

“Mrs. Smith…” He greeted me with a smile.

“Ah. Ms. Smith… I’m not married yet.” I corrected.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” His voice was also familiar.

“Thank you for taking good care of my Charlie.”

“Please just give here these medications on time for 5 days. Take her home now.” He was scribbling down the prescriptions.

 

I took the paper and immediately placed it in my bag.

 

“Goodbye Dr. Handsome! See you soon!” My daughter waved goodbye.

“Well, not to soon.” He replied.

“My kid seems to like you. She would visit you on her next check up.” I said.

“Okay.” He was smiling.

 

I asked my daughter to sit at the back seat and I drove. Charlie was enjoying playing with her iPad. For a four year old to play this early with a gadget is somehow amusing. She enjoys playing and watching Dora the Explorer.

 

While driving, I was thinking of the doctor. I knew I saw him somewhere. Maybe saw him wandering around one of our stores. I can’t remember when or how. There was a small hit on my heart.

 

I drove Charlie home before buying her medicine. This is to prevent her from getting any other sickness. When mother got her, I immediately drove to the nearest pharmacy. I parked near the door. I got my back and went to the pharmacist to ask for the medicine.

 

“Can I help you?” She was in her mid 30’s. She was smiling back at me.

“Oh. Can I have these?” I handed her the prescription that I got from my bag.

“Please wait for a moment.”

 

After reading it, she handed it back to me. For curiosity sake, I read the doctor’s name on the prescription.

 

                Roy Lee, M.D.

 

Roy Lee? That name. Oh no. He’s not that person.

 

The pharmacist came back and gave me the medicine.

 

“It would be Ten Dollars.”

 

I handed her Ten Dollars and immediately went home.

 

***

When I arrived home, Charlie was playing with her nanny. I kissed her forehead and handed the medicine to her nanny.

 

“Let her drink this every after meals for 5 days.”

 

I rushed towards to my office without even looking back.

 

I was not updated of what is happening to South Korea. All I ever know about them was their economy. I never entertained the idea of looking for other news.

 

I looked for a Roy Lee in the browser. A thousand results popped out.

 

                Roy Lee, the pediatrician of the century.

                Medicine breakthrough discovered by Dr. Roy Lee.

                Lee Medical Group’s Roy Lee extends his study by going to America.

                Lee Brothers: Lee Shin and Lee Jaejin are the doctors of the future.

                Dr. Lee Jaejin talks about Medicine and his love for music.

                FT Island to travel to North America for tour. Staying for a year in the west.

   “I am single and waiting for the right girl to come.” – Dr. Roy Lee, Lee Medical Group and Bassist of FT Island

 

This can’t be.