Friendship

The Promise

 

“Eomma! What is it?” Zowee was trying to raise her voice. I can see that she is also curious.

 

I saw Eomma grasped her hand.

 

 

“Well, Sonia… used to be my…” Abeoji paused for a sigh and he had this evil smirk. “fiancé.”

 

 

Silence. We were all shocked by Abeoji’s revelation.

 

 

He continued. “We were about to get married until Zowee’s father, David, escaped with her.”

“Because I don’t love you! I hated you! You brainwashed my father!” Sonia Eomma was shouting.

“I loved you but you chose to stay with that guy!” Abeoji was shouting.

“I wanted you to stay away from me! We were already married and my father wanted us to divorce!” She was already crying.

 

Mr. Smith entered the room and was shocked to see my father.

 

“You! What are you doing here?! You! Damn it! What is he doing here?” He was shouting at the top of his lungs.

“David, my friend, it’s good to see you again?” Abeoji was about to approach him.

“Don’t you ever dare come near my family! You destroyed it once! I’ll never let you destroy it again!” He was shouting.

 

Father just gave a smirk.

 

“Is he the reason? But how?” Zowee suddenly spoke up. She was also crying.

“Let me continue with my story, daughter-in-law…” Abeoji just looked at her and smiled.

 

There was silence.

 

“I asked her father to let have her hand in marriage though I know he is with David…” He looked at David. “I can’t afford to lose to him in everything. He had the job I wanted to have. He also had the woman whom I loved for the longest time.”

“You were my best friend. I trusted you in everything.” Mr. David was talking to father.

“I was selfish. I am selfish. You had everything and I wanted them all.” Father sighed for a moment.

 

“I wanted to have her as my wife. Someone I could share my lifetime with. But they were married already and my father asked me to marry another woman. I tried to love her. I tried to love my children’s mom… But only one woman holds my heart. I tried to be happy for them and eventually, I learned how to love, Lizzie. Sonia and David had their child while I, too, had Shin and Jaejin. But my feelings for Sonia came back when I saw David… Kissing another woman. I don’t want Sonia to get hurt and I tried to ignore it. Until I saw him for the second time with the same woman. I can’t fathom how he could do this to her. I told Sonia’s father about it and asked them to have a divorce. I loved Sonia but I also love Lizzie too. Lizzie knew about this and got jealous about Sonia. Slowly, her health started to fail. I am the reason why she died… I am… After she died, Sonia’s father summoned me and ask to marry his daughter. Sonia was depressed of what happened. David got custody of Zowee. She never wanted to marry me. His father insisted. She ran away from home…” Father said.

 

We were all shocked of what father told me. Sonia eomma and David appa were crying. Even Zowee was crying.

 

“That’s all I know.” Father sighed. His knees are getting weaker.

“Father, please sit down…” Lee Shin was accompanying him to sit.

 

Sonia eomma sat beside Zowee and her hair.

 

“I don’t want to get married again that’s why I ran away. I only loved David. I was so depressed because I thought I would never see my little girl again. After the divorce, David took Zowee back to America and never came back. We never had communication and it kills me. I am not mad of you, Chulmoo. I am mad because of what had happened. I hated my father for a long time but when he was in his dead bed, he begged for my forgiveness… I understood already why did he asked me to do that… It was not your fault.” She was crying.

 

“That woman was the thing of the past. I was drunk and she used me. I felt that I died when Sonia was crying in pain because of me. And it hurts me to discover that my one true friend was the one who told abeoji about it, not even bothered to know the truth…” David appa hugged his family.

 

“I’m sorry about what I did in the past…” Father’s voice was getting mellow. “I never thought my evil plans will destroy you. I also thought of getting Charlotte away from you… Destroy Zowee and Jaejin’s relationship. But I can’t. I can’t.” Father broke down. Tears were starting to fall from his eyes.

 

David appa approached my father.

 

“I have forgiven you a long time ago…” He sighed. “I know Sonia too has forgiven you… After hearing everything you have said. I know, Lizzie too is happy for you…” David appa said.

 

“Thank you… Thank you for understanding…” Father said.

 

Father and David appa hugged for the first time after their last encounter. It was a scene that everybody should be happy about.

 

 

Should we be happy? Now that our family is united, I am grateful. This shows a good sign for all of us.