This is Goodbye

The Promise

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SLIGHTLY MATURE CONTENTS (this is my first time to write something like this... please bear with me...)

 

 

I found myself wrapped around his arms. His perfume was still the same. I tucked my face on his chest. He was playing with my hair. I miss this. I was still crying but not with despair but I was crying for joy. I longed for his warm body, his hugs, and his kisses. Everything was at its place.

                       

“I love you…” He told me.

 

I looked at his angelic face. His face was so divine. He was a perfect creation by God. He wiped away my tears.

 

“I love you too…” I replied.

 

Our lips met each other. It was a solemn kiss. A kiss we wanted to have for a long time. He hugged me tightly. We were slowly moving towards the bed. It was a kiss that even air can’t separate us. I wanted this. For a long time, I was longing for his kiss. He slowly laid me on the bed.

 

“Wait.” I stopped him.

“What?” He was confused.

“This is a mistake.”

 

He kissed me and with a kiss, I submitted myself to him.

 

His warm body against mine, his fingers lingers on my arms. Everything was perfect. It feels like the world stopped. His kisses were something I couldn’t forget. It was not lust, it was love. Love binds us together. This is not a mistake. I wanted this. We wanted this.

 

***

The sun shines and woke me up. His arms were still wrapped around me. Last night was perfect. It was not a one-night-stand. It was done with love. It was like a dream come true to see him beside me.

He sleeps like an angel. How I wish I could be with him and stay like this forever.

Reality Check: I can’t.

I slowly moved away from him and stood up. I rushed to the bathroom and washed up as fast as I can. I didn’t want to leave him. I wanted him to see me when he wakes up.

I looked for my sticky notes in my bag and pen to leave a note.

 

                Jaejin,

                Last night, it was nothing. Please don’t look for me after this. I want you out of my life. When I said I loved you, that was a lie. I never wanted to see you. We are over.

I wish you happiness with Meeyon or whoever woman you are going to marry.

This is goodbye.

Soon Geum

 

Before tears come out from my eyes, I left the note beside his phone. His phone lit up and there was a message. His wallpaper was still our picture together. The tears that I have held inside suddenly flowed. I ran as fast and went to the basement parking. I drove home using my mother’s car. Tears can’t stop flowing even I was driving.

 

***

Before getting in our house, I fixed myself. Eomma opened the door for me.

 

“Soon Geum! How was the wedding?”

“It was fine, Eomma. Eomma, I’m hungry.”

“Just in time. I just finished cooking our breakfast.”

 

I sat down and ate breakfast with my mother. While we were eating, she started talking about my father.

 

“Your father called.”

“Why?”

“He wants you back.”

“Why?”

“The company was affected by the recession. He needs your help.”

“How about my studies?”

“He have called your school and asked if you could do your thesis abroad.”

“Is there such a program?”

“Yes. It’s a new program for international students who wanted to continue to study here but can’t go here.”

“How about you?”

“The program was already tested and it’s a good thing you are only doing your thesis.”

“Eomma, how about you?”

“I would be fine. You’ll get your diploma. Okay?”

“Araseo.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yes.”

There was silence.

“When am I going to leave?”

“He said as soon as possible.”

“Alright. I’ll go this Saturday. Since today is a Monday, I’ll have 5 days to be with you.” I was hiding my sadness to leave Eomma.

“And so?”

“Let’s have a vacation!”

“Where?”

“Hmm… Jeju Island would be great.”

“Really?”

“Let’s go?”

“Now?”

“Yes! I’ll book our plane tickets and hotel. I’ll take the earliest flight as much as possible. Then we’ll return on Thursday.”

“Araseo.”

“Please don’t be sad Eomma.”

“I am not.”

 

I hugged my mother. I’ll miss her. She was my shoulder to cry on when I had problems. She was the only person who supported me at times of despair.

 

***

A trip to Jeju made me forget what happened between us. Mother and I enjoyed the whole trip. From long walks to long road trips, everything was fun. How I wish I could stay with her for a long time. I wish she could go back with me to LA.

 

While we were having our lunch, I asked her.

 

“Eomma, are you considering yourself to remarry?”

“Aneeyo.” She replied with full conviction.

“Why?”

“I am happy and I only want to marry your father if I would remarry.” She laughed.

“Why Daddy?”

“Because he still holds my heart and I want to be with him forever.”

“Then you two should get married. Be with me when I move back to LA. Please?” I was pleading.

“It depends on your Daddy.”

“Wait.”

 

I called my father.

 

“Daddy! I’ll be going back with Eomma.”

“What?”

“See you on Sunday!”

“Zowee?!”

 

I hanged up.

 

***

I texted Shinhye about this sudden flight. I told her to keep in touch using the internet. We could use Naver or Facebook. I also asked her to tell Minhwan goodbye and I wished them a happy marriage.

 

It would be a long flight. In a few hours, I’ll see LAX. My life would be back to normal. I’ll embrace my old self. I am Zowee, the American-Korean girl.