First Meeting

The Promise

 

First Day of school or should I say my first day in HELL. I never wanted to study here. I am too smart to study here! Qualifying for Harvard makes me one of the luckiest and smartest people in this world. I can’t understand why Papa sent me here. I don’t mind going to dorms or joining sororities back in America but I can’t bear living here in Seoul. Papa Smith must be really crazy.

 

***

 

“Soon Geum, do I need to accompany you to school?” Eomma was busy preparing our breakfast.

“Aneeyo. I ain’t going to kindergarten so why bother accompany me. And please, call me Zowee!” I sat down the table.

“Don’t talk to your mother like that… Zowee. I know you don’t like to stay here, but please just stay with me. I waited for a long time to eat with you every morning. I am not getting older. I missed you so much.”

 

With what my mother said, I can’t even speak. I just ate my breakfast and went immediately to school. I rode the bus for the first time after 10 years. I wish I could already get my driver’s license and buy my own car. I got down the bus stop and walked towards my new school, my new hell.

 

***

                I am not very familiar with Hangul and the language. I enrolled myself to an International Student program. I am taking up a Business course to help my father strengthen our business. I entered the classroom when I saw this blonde guy. He seems Korean and kind of cute. There was no other place to sit in aside from the empty sit beside him.

 

                “Hi! Does anyone sit here?” I asked him.

                “Aneeyo.” He replied in a monotone voice.

 

                I sat down. In the middle of the class, I had the guts to ask him.

 

                “Hi. I’m Zowee and you are?”

                “Roy Lee.”

                “Are you Korean or you are also an international student?

                “Pure Korean.”

                “Aaah. What are you taking up?”

                “Medical course.”

                “Aaaah.”

 

                His monotone voice was very scary. He was a snob. I hate people who are snob. Uggh.

 

***

                Through out the day, I made new girl Korean friends. Seems like they are so fond of me for having a mixed blood. They are so nice that they treat me lunch and dinner. The closest friend that I had was Kim Shin Hye. She is very fluent in English so it was not hard to talk to her.  Since Shinhye lives near our house, we go home together. From the bus stop, we walked towards the neighborhood and passed by the city park. I suddenly remembered my childhood memory. The cute little kid who I had a promise. I wanted to stay in the city park but it was getting late so I went home. As I lie on my bed, I remembered the face of the cute little kid in the park. He was like my first love.  Though it seems impossible to see him, I wanted to. I wanted to wait.

 

 

 

*annyeong! please do comment of what you think about this story so I could try to improve it more. :D