Six

Five Makes A Family

“Hey Tae?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

Baekhyun pokes his head into the room, seeing his son lounging in the desk chair, feet kicked up and a binder on his lap. Soft sounds of Big Bang echo through the room.

 

“Have any thoughts for dinner?”

 

Taehyung sticks the pencil behind his ear. “Do you not have anything?”

 

His umma shrugs. “I didn’t get a chance to go to the store, so food’s limited. Just thought I’d get your input.”

 

“Um…” Taehyung furrows his brows, thinking. “Whatever’s easiest for you to make, umma.”

 

Baekhyun beams. “You’re my son all right.”

 

“Oh umma.”

 

"Dinner will probably be ready in the next hour or so, okay? Do you think you’ll be at a stopping point by then?”

 

“Maybe.” Taehyung frowns down at his notes. "It’s hard. It’s long. I don’t like it.”

 

"I know, Tae. But think about how it’ll pay off in the long run. You’ll be all set for high school.” Baekhyun pretends to wipe away a tear. “Ah, I can’t believe next year my little Tae’s off to high school. It seems just like yesterday when you were clinging to my pantleg at preschool.”

 

“Umma!” Taehyung’s cheeks color but he grins, his eyes disappearing into black crescents. Baekhyun’s proud to say Taehyung got his eye smile from him, only with Chanyeol’s wide mouth.

 

“Be nice,” scolds Baekhyun, frowning slightly. “You’re just growing up too fast. Where’s the cute little kid that always needed a story before bedtime with me and your appa and then felt the need to interrupt every few seconds?”

 

“Right here,” mutters Taehyung, but he’s sporting a small smile anyhow.

 

“I’ll let you get back to your studies then,” Baekhyun says briskly, not wanting to get all emotional. That can wait for later.

 

“That’s what I was doing before you came.”

 

“No need to get cheeky,” sniffs Baekhyun, closing the door on Taehyung’s laugh. “Aish, that brat.”

 

“I’m home!” announces Chanyeol, closing the door behind him and dropping his bag on the floor. Baekhyun always nags him about it but it’s a habit too hard to break.

 

“In the kitchen!” calls his husband’s voice and Chanyeol grins, kicking off his shoes before making his way down the hall.

 

“Mmmm, smells great Baekie,” he says, hugging the smaller from behind where he’s in front of the stove.

 

“You think?” Baekhyun pokes at the pot with his spoon. “We don’t have a lot of food, so diner’s limited.”

 

“You should’ve told me when I was out,” Chanyeol tells him, burying his face in Baekhyun’s hair. “I could’ve picked something up.”

 

“We’re not going to starve.” Baekhyun sets the spoon down and turns around in the embrace, his arms circling Chanyeol’s neck. “Anyway, how was your day?”

 

“Long. Good.” Chanyeol leans down and pecks Baekhyun’s lips. “But it’s better now.” His hands trail up and down the smaller’s back until he swats him away.

 

“Taehyung’s in his room,” hisses Baekhyun as Chanyeol pouts.

 

“But Baekie-”

 

“He’s going over to a friend’s tomorrow,” Baekhyun says, turning back to the stove. “And it’s Friday. So we’ll have to place to ourselves.”

 

He winks over his shoulder and Chanyeol feels his knees grow weak. It’s times like these he realizes once again just how lucky he is.

 

“I’ll be sure to make it count.”

 

Baekhyun shivers a little at the seductive promise in Chanyeol’s voice. But honestly, he can’t really blame him. It’s been awhile since they’re had any alone time and as much as he loves Taehyung, they need to have some fun every once in a while. It’s only normal.

 

“Which friend is it?” Chanyeol asks, changing the subject as he shrugs his coat off and puts it on the back of a chair.

 

Baekhyun stirs, his eyes focused on the food. “Jimin. He’s probably spending the night too. If so, they share enough clothes to open their own store so I’m not too worried.”

 

“That’s what we were like,” Chanyeol reminds him happily. Baekhyun shrugs, shaking his head.

 

“So did Kyungsoo and Joonmyun and we all know how that turned out.”

 

“I’m going to go change. Want to join me?”

 

Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun points the spoon towards the door without looking at the giant. “Go change.”

 

Chanyeol laughs, passing by Taehyung’s room and knocks quickly, shouting out a greeting.

 

“Hi appa,” Taehyung shouts back. He doesn’t need to, and his umma never approves of it much, but they’ve been doing it for years and Taehyung doesn’t want it to stop-not yet anyhow. He’s still a little kid in some aspects, no matter how many times Baekhyun comments on how grown-up he is.