Twenty-Four

Five Makes A Family

“Are you stupid or something?”

 

Bambam frowns, overhearing the conversation from around the corner. He peers around the lockers to see his best friend Yugyeom being cornered by five others. It doesn’t look like a fight would break out-Bambam knows Yugyeom is too clumsy to fight anyway-but he decides to intrude anyway. No one can insult his best friend and get away with it.

 

“Yugyeom!” he calls, casually walking over and pretending not to notice the tension in the air. “Are you ready to go?” His eyes trail over to the group. “Are you in the middle of something?”

 

“Obviously,” the lead one says. “So why don’t you do us a favor and get lost?” His voice drips with venom. “Bambam.”

 

The others laugh and Bambam scowls but tries to not let it get to him. It’s not like it’s a new thing.

 

“Seriously, what kind of name is that?” another one pipes up. “It’s so stupid. What were your parents thinking?”

 

“Maybe you should back off this one,” answers Bambam and Yugyeom tugs at his sleeve.

 

“Be quiet Bam,” he mumbles but the other just shrugs it off and glares at the group in front of him.

 

The leader has stepped closer. “This one has a mouth on him, doesn’t he, boys? Hey Bam, do you want to die?” He grabs Bambam’s shirt collar and Bambam has enough self-control not to jerk away.

 

He’s not going to act scared in front of these guys. Even if they could beat him up in a minute, which he knows is possible.

 

“You didn’t answer.” The leader shoves him against the locker and Bambam bites his lip to keep the groan of slight pain escaping. Yugyeom takes a step forward but freezes as one of the others glares at him threateningly.

 

“I think this works eloquently with your name,” the leader continues and Bambam feels bile rise in his throat. This is what he gets for being a smartass. “You’ll go out with a bam.”

 

“What was that?”

 

They turn to see Taehyung strutting down the hall, the rest of his friend group in tow. Bambam only knows a few by name- Jungkook and Jimin of course, but also Yoongi and Hoseok. The other two are a mystery to him, one with a pretty face and broad shoulders and the other with blond hair and an intimidating look on his face.

 

“I don’t think this concerns you,” the leader sneers, making Taehyung raise an eyebrow.

 

“I think it does, since that’s my brother right there.”

 

“That’s Namjoon and Yoongi,” one of the others mutters. “We don’t want to mess with them.”

 

The leader scowls but releases Bambam’s shirt. “You got lucky this time, Bam.”

 

Taehyung frowns, taking a few steps forward and stabbing a finger right in that guy’s chest. “If you ever touch him again, I promise you won’t like what comes out of it.”

 

Looking more abashed than before, the group scatters and Bambam breathes a sigh of relief. Taehyung is immediately on him, patting him for injuries and smoothing his shirt.

 

“He didn’t hurt you, right? Jimin told me and oh Bam, what were you thinking?”

 

“It’s his fault.” Bambam jabs a thumb in the direction of Yugyeom, who looks slightly sheepish.

 

“I’m sorry to bring you into this Bam,” he mumbles. “You didn’t have to help me.”

 

“You’re my best friend, of course I do.”

 

“Those guys are cowards,” the one with blond hair declares lazily, Hoseok nodding in agreement and handing Bambam’s backpack to him with a smile.

“Just try not to get in their line of sight for a while, kid.”

 

Bambam looks to Taehyung for explanation and the elder hurriedly introduces them. “So Bam, this is Namjoon hyung,” he points to the blond one “and Seokjin hyung,” the one with the broad shoulders. “Hyungs, this is Bambam.”

 

“Nice to meet you,” Seokjin says sincerely. “Don’t be worried about Joonie, he’s not actually that scary.” The blond one, Namjoon, pouts and it makes Bambam smile a little as Taehyung ruffles his hair.

 

“Just let us know if you have any more trouble, Bam,” Yoongi says casually. He had been Taehyung’s math tutor for a few weeks but Bambam still wasn’t too familiar with him. “I think we can handle them.”

 

Bambam nods and the group starts to walk down the hall, Taehyung gesturing for the younger two to follow. They do, a bit hesitantly, and stay near the back of the group.

 

“What did they even want anyway?” Bambam asks Yugyeom and the other shrugs.

 

“Test answers. Cheating. They knew I aced the history final and when I refused to tell them the answers, they got violent. But thanks for saving me.”

 

“Not a problem.” Bambam watches his brother’s back as Jimin gives him a one-armed hug, pouting when Taehyung playfully pushes him away and he goes to Hoseok for comfort instead. Yoongi rolls his eyes and Seokjin laughs as they turn a corner.

 

“Hey, Bam?” Taehyung gestures his younger brother to walk beside him and once he does, the elder looks down at the ground. “Don’t do that again.”

 

Bambam’s confused. “What?”

 

“Don’t do that again. I’ll get the hyungs to protect you and everything, and Sungoh hyung too, but we can’t be around all the time. Just...don’t pick fights, okay?”

 

“I’m not a child, hyung.” Bambam frowns.

 

“You’re thirteen. I think that’s still pretty childish.”

 

“You’re the one who still sleeps with a nightlight.”

 

“And have I had nightmares?” Taehyung states proudly. “No. So it does its job.” Bambam shakes his head, laughing. He notices that Jimin and Hoseok are on either side of Yugyeom, talking to him excitedly. His best friend looks a little lost.

 

“Hyung, you have weird friends.”


Because protective hyung!Taehyung is my weakness.