Thirty-Three

Five Makes A Family

 

Chanyeol blows out a sigh, closing the front door behind him. “I’m home!” He kicks off his shoes and debates setting his bag down there. Baekhyun always complains about it but he’s just too tired to carry it any longer. He wants to get away from work right now.

“Welcome home,” Baekhyun calls back, coming from the living room with a smile that changes instantly to worry when he sees his husband. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, work is just...it’s just a lot,” confesses Chanyeol. “But it’ll be okay. Where are the kids?”

“At Daehyun’s,” answers Baekhyun, frowning. Chanyeol seems to be almost asleep on his feet. “Seriously, are you okay?”

“I’m just tired.” Chanyeol manages a weak smile. Baekhyun takes his briefcase from him, carrying it to the kitchen with Chanyeol following behind. “You don’t have to, Baek, it’s-”

“You’re tired,” is all Baekhyun says as a response. “Go to our room. Rest. The kids aren’t here so you can relax.”

“But-”

“I’ll make you some food.”

“Baek, really-”

 “Chanyeol.” Baekhyun presses a finger to the taller’s lips, his eyes determined. “You’re always the one spoiling me. Now let me spoil you. Bed.”

Nodding, Chanyeol grins and pecks Baekhyun sweetly before heading to their bedroom, shedding his uncomfortable button-down in the process and kicking off his pants.

Once dressed in a loose T-shirt, he settles into their large bed, propping pillows up behind him. He doesn’t really want to watch TV- he’s been looking at a screen all day. Maybe he could read something. Or talk. He’d rather talk.

But Baekhyun’s still in the kitchen and he’s just so comfortable…

“It’s really taking a toll on you, huh?”

Chanyeol opens his eyes to see his husband standing in the doorway holding a tray. “Not really. Just today. Don’t worry about me, Baekhyun, I’m fine.”

“Are you?” Baekhyun sets the tray down and sits next to Chanyeol on the bed, watching him start to eat happily. He’s hungrier than he thought.

“You don’t have to worry about me, Baekie. You have enough to-”

“Chanyeol.” Baekhyun closes his eyes for a second, as if in pain. “Don’t say that. Don’t you think for one second I can’t worry about you because I do, every day. So don’t you say that.”

Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun closer, letting him curl into his side. They don’t say anything as Chanyeol continues to eat, stealing glances at his beloved every chance he gets.

“Thanks, babe,” Chanyeol says and the other’s mouth quirks at the nickname. He’s hardly called that anymore and he misses it sometimes.

“I just want you to have everything you need,” says Baekhyun, looking down at his hands before the younger takes one.

“I have everything I need. I have you and Sungoh and Tae and Bam. I have a nice house and a job and a beautiful family. We did it, babe. We made it.”

He kisses Baekhyun sweetly, softly, wanting now to be all about love. Other things can wait.

“Can I get you anything else?” asks Baekhyun after they’ve pulled away, resting his forehead on Chanyeol’s.

“Just you.”