Twenty-Five

Five Makes A Family

“Bam, it’s your bathtime,” calls Baekhyun from the back door, seeing his three sons on the swing set. Chanyeol and Yifan had built it when they found out the Parks were going to have a kid and it’s gotten so much use already that Baekhyun thinks they should’ve gotten a bigger one.

 

“But umma!” pouts Bambam, slowing down a little bit by dragging his feet through the dirt. “I want to play with hyungies!”

 

“You’ll get to play tomorrow,” Baekhyun says patiently. Taehyung stops swinging as well, gripping the yellow chains tightly.

 

“Five more minutes umma!” he bargains, smiling sweetly. “Please? We need to reach the clouds first!”

 

“We’re so close!” adds Sungoh.

 

Sighing, Baekhyun nods. “Five more minutes. And not a minute more,” he adds as his kids cheer.

 

“Okay umma!” agrees Bambam, starting to swing again. Baekhyun just smiles and turns on the light above the door. The swing set is only a couple feet

away from the house but there’s a large tree right behind it, covering half of it in shadow.

 

He hears the cry of “Look hyungie! Lightning bugs!” as he closes the door and chuckles to himself. How much cuter can his kids get?

 

“No Bambam?” asks Chanyeol, coming into the hallway and seeing Baekhyun by himself. His husband shakes his head.

 

“I gave them five more minutes.”

 

“You’re so lenient, Baek,” Chanyeol teases and the smaller whacks him in the arm gently, frowning.

 

“Who was it that took them to get ice cream before the dentist?” counters Baekhyun, heading to the kitchen with Chanyeol following behind him. The other doesn’t answer and Baekhyun sticks his tongue out in triumph. “Yeah, that’s what I thought.”

 

“They gave me puppy-eyes and you know I can’t resist those,” Chanyeol almost whines and the other rolls his eyes.

 

“Where do you think they learned it from?”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Anyway, I need you to get Tae and Sungoh ready for bed when I give Bam a bath. Tae said he had a test tomorrow so he needs his rest.”

 

“A test?” Chanyeol wrinkles his nose. “He’s eight! What tests are they taking at eight?”

 

“Maybe vocabulary or something?” Baekhyun shrugs, opening the fridge to get ready to pack their lunches for tomorrow. “I don’t know. But he needs to sleep.”

 

“I think I can do that.”

 

Baekhyun gets Bambam into the bath soon after. It’s a little annoying because his youngest loves to splash the water all over the bathroom floor, leaving puddles everywhere. But the look of delight on his face is worth it so Baekhyun just keeps his grumbles to himself as he scrubs Bambam’s back.

 

“This is Spotty,” Bambam declares, holding up his rubber duck for Baekhyun to see.

 

“Hello Spotty,” Baekhyun tells the duck. “Why Spotty, Bam?” He had gotten the duck as a gift from Joonmyun when it was Bambam’s third birthday and he hadn’t named it yet, just calling it ‘huang’ because that’s what Zitao told him to call it. The Chinese word for yellow, says Zitao.

 

“Because there are spots of water, see?” says Bambam happily, dunking the toy under the water and making it swim back and forth.

 

Baekhyun laughs, scrubbing Bambam’s hair gently. “The water will dry eventually, Bam. Will Spotty still be spotted?”

 

“Of course he will!”

 

“If you say so, Bam. Now close your eyes for umma.”

 

Bambam does so, holding onto Spotty as Baekhyun dumps water over his head, washing the shampoo from his hair with one hand lightly.

 

He pushes his bangs away from his forehead and pats Bambam’s face with a towel, making the child wrinkle his nose.

 

“Okay, you can open your eyes now.”

 

Bambam does, rubbing at one of his eyes. “Am I clean now umma?”

 

“Yes, you are. Do you want to get out?”

 

Bambam nods, so Baekhyun unplugs the drain and tells the child to stand up, wrapping him in a soft towel quickly so he won’t get cold.

 

“Is hyungie in bed already?” asks Bambam as Baekhyun dries his hair gently.

 

“He should be. Appa was supposed to put him to bed.”

 

“Will I get a story tonight?”

 

“Do you want one?”

 

“Yes please.”

 

“Then you will.” Baekhyun finishes patting dry Bambam’s hair and stands up, hanging to towel on the rack. “Go and get your pyjamas on and brush your teeth and then you’ll get storytime. How does that sound?”

 

“Okay umma!” Bambam scurries to his bedroom, almost dropping the towel as he does so. Baekhyun just shakes his head and goes to peek in Sungoh’s room first to check on him. The ten year-old is perfectly capable of taking care of himself at this age but he just wants to make sure.

 

“Ready for bed?” he says, leaning in the doorway and watching his eldest climb into bed.

 

“Now I am. Umma, do I have to go to school tomorrow?”

 

Baekhyun chuckles, coming near the bed and starting to smooth the blankets out. Sungoh always complains he’s too old to be tucked in but lets Baekhyun do it every night anyway. “Of course you do, honey.”

 

“Aw, I thought this time it’d work for sure!”

 

“Not yet, Sungoh. Maybe next time.” Baekhyun kisses his son’s forehead. “Goodnight. I’ll send appa in. I love you.”

 

“Love you!”

 

Baekhyun leaves the door slightly ajar, heading to Taehyung’s room to make sure he’s in bed.

 

Instead he sees Chanyeol snuggled up with him in Taehyung’s small bed, listening as the child talks excitedly.

 

“Isn’t it a bit late for that?” Baekhyun says, one hand on his hip. The two turn to look at him sheepishly, Chanyeol almost falling off the bed. It is only a twin after all and his legs are hanging off.

 

“He’s in bed,” points out his husband meekly and Baekhyun sighs, coming further into the room.

 

“Appa was telling me how you met,” explains Taehyung and Baekhyun mentally groans.

 

“Oh, was he?”

 

“He didn’t finish though,” pouts his son. “Because you came. Can you tell me?”

 

“Tomorrow night,” answers Chanyeol instead, sitting up. “It’ll be a series. Do you like that idea, Tae?” Taehyung nods as Baekhyun smooths out the covers.

 

“Channie, Sungoh’s waiting for you.”

 

Chanyeol nods and ruffles Taehyung’s hair. “Night, kiddo.”

 

“Goodnight appa!”

 

“You need to sleep now, Tae. It’s past your bedtime and you need to sleep.” Baekhyun leans down and kisses Taehyung’s forehead. “Goodnight Taehyung.”

 

“Goodnight umma. I love you.”

 

“Love you too.”


Because who doesn't love cute domestic fluff?