Twenty

Five Makes A Family

“Santa isn’t even real!”

 

“You’re lying, he is so real!”

 

“No he’s not, Aunt Baekhyun just made that up!”

 

Bambam’s lip starts to quiver and it looks like he’s about to cry.  “Santa’s real, right hyung?”

 

Sungoh pauses, a cookie halfway to his mouth. Bambam’s only seven and Sungoh’s already thirteen- much too old to believe in Santa Claus. But his umma would kill him if he upset Bambam any further so he just nods.

 

“Of course he’s real Bam, Hwanhee’s just full of it,” he says, glaring at his eldest cousin. Hwanhee just grins at him and plucks the cookie out of his hand.

 

“Hey that’s mine!”

 

“Not anymore.”

 

“Why does umma keep inviting you over? We don’t even like you that much,” Sungoh complains but Hwanhee only smiles.

 

“Because everyone else likes me, that’s why.”

 

“I brought more cookies,” sings Taehyung as he walks into the living room. The kids are gathered near the tree while the adults mingle through the kitchen and the other side of the living room- they need a little break from the kids. The tree is decorated beautifully, strings of lights wound around it and giving the room a cozy feeling.

 

“Oh hyung, I thought you already had one,” Taehyung says brightly when Sungoh steals one off the plate.

 

“I thought I did too.”

 

“Hyung, is Santa real?” asks Bambam, taking a snowman cookie.

 

Taehyung doesn’t miss a beat. “Of course he’s real, he’s as real as Christmas itself.”

 

“But Hwanhee hyung said-”

 

“Why are you listening to him?”

 

Hwanhee glares at Taehyung. “What do you mean, ‘why are you listening to him’? Bam and I are close, right Bamie?”

 

“You’re mean,” giggles Bambam and Hwanhee holds a hand to his heart dramatically.

 

“I didn’t come here to be insulted.”

 

Bambam takes a bite of his cookie, looking at his reindeer socks with interest. “What’s insulted?”

 

“When you say something mean to someone else,” explains Sungoh. “We insult Hwanhee all the time because it’s fun.”

 

“What are you kids up too?” Daehyun plops down beside Taehyung, his hands immediately reaching for the plate. “Ohh cookies!”

 

“Uncle Daehyun, is Santa real?” asks Bambam.

 

“Are you going to ask everyone?” Hwanhee says but Bambam ignores him, tugging on the Santa hat Daehyun’s wearing.

 

“Of course kiddo, everyone knows that,” answers Daehyun matter-of-factly. “Santa is as real as these cookies right here.”

 

“Like the Santa cookie,” says Taehyung proudly and Daehyun nods, ruffling his hair.

 

“Exactly.”

 

Chanyeol comes by, adorned with reindeer antlers and on his way to the kitchen and presses a kiss to the top of Bambam’s head, making the child wonder. “Appa, do you believe in Santa?”

 

“I do, Bamie. Don’t you?”

 

“Well yeah but…” Bambam hesitates, taking a bite of his cookie and spilling some crumbs on his shirt that Taehyung wipes away.

 

“Santa is real as long as there’s someone who believes,” explains Chanyeol patiently and Bambam’s face lights up. “There will always be someone who believes.”

 

“Okay appa.”

 

Chanyeol gives another smile before standing up, knowing Daehyun can take care of them, and makes his way to Baekhyun’s side.

 

“Should I get out the Santa suit?”

 

“Why?” Baekhyun gives him a strange look.

 

“Because Bam’s having doubts and I just really want to wear it.”    

 

“Of course you do.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. Chanyeol takes every opportunity he can to wear it and now is now exception. “Go ahead but don’t get caught.”

 

“I never do.” Chanyeol kisses Baekhyun sloppily before he practically leaps down the hallway.

 

“He’s something else, isn’t he?” Seolhyun says, handing Baekhyun a glass. He nods, smiling a little and thanks her for the drink.

 

“Oh you have no idea.”


“Oh Bam, come here,” calls Baekhyun and his youngest scrambles up to where his umma is by the window.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Look out there.” Baekhyun points and Bambam squints, seeing only the still-falling snow and the snowman he had made yesterday with his hyungs.

 

“I don’t see anything.”

 

Baekhyun gives Daehyun a knowing look as the adult has gotten up, the other three kids right behind him. “Look harder.”

 

Bambam does and he sees a flash of red and could it be? “Is that Santa?”

 

“I think it is.”

 

“Where?” Taehyung jumps next to Bambam, pressing his face to the glass. “Where’s Santa?”

 

“There!” exclaims Bambam as he sees the red again, more clearly this time. He sees the shiny black boots and the red hat and claps his hands excitedly.

“It’s Santa, it’s Santa!”

 

“He’s here pretty early,” Daehyun comments, winking at Baekhyun.

 

“Of course,” Baekhyun responds. “He’s checking up to make sure all the little boys and girls are being good.”

 

Daehyun lifts Hwanhee up so he can see better. “What do you say kiddo? Are you being good?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“No,” Sungoh says at the same time and Hwanhee sticks his tongue out.

 

“Where’s appa? He needs to see Santa too,” Taehyung says, his hands still splayed over the cold glass.

 

“He’s in the bathroom, I’m sure he’ll be out soon,” Baekhyun reassures his son.

 

“He’s gone!” Bambam gasps. “Santa’s gone!”

 

“He has other kids to check up on, Bam. He’ll be back tonight though so don’t worry.” Baekhyun smoothes over Bambam’s bangs and is rewarded with a big grin.

 

“I can’t wait to tell Yugyeom!”

 

“Who wants more cookies?” asks Sungoh and the kids chorus me as they follow him to the kitchen. He’s the only one tall enough to reach the big platter of sweets in the middle of the counter. Hwanhee hangs onto one of his arms, Taehyung on another and Bambam bringing up the rear, dragging his stuffed reindeer behind him.

 

“When did you get a Santa outfit?” asks Daehyun once the children are out of earshot.

 

Baekhyun shrugs. “I think Jongdae gave it to us a while back? I don’t really remember but it’s come in handy a ton, don’t you think?”

 

“Definitely.”

 

Youngjae walks in, holding two glasses and hands one to Daehyun. “I just saw Chanyeol come in the back with a Santa suit on. Why…?”

 

“Just don’t ask,” laughs Baekhyun. Later, he’s curled up on the couch with Chanyeol’s arm around him and Bambam on his lap, Taehyung on his other side and Sungoh by his feet.

 

He can’t think of a better way to spend his Christmas.


Merry Christmas everyone!

I hope this is fluffy enough to make up for the lack of updates, haha. Who doesn't love domestic!AUs and Christmas!Aus and when they're put together, it just makes your brain explode.

But seriously, thank you to everyone who has stuck with this story so far, it really means a lot. This is one of my favorite AUs and I'm gald you all like it as much as I do. Eat deliciously and spend time with the people you love and I hope you all are having (or will have) a Merry Christmas! Here's to another great year!