Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Do I exist in your life?

Yoseob P.O.V

I look down at my phone for the nth time. It's only a few seconds ago I took a look at it, but it felt hours since I last checked it. It's been 2 hours since I last texted Eun Hye but she still haven't replied me. I look at the time at the wall clock, 3.15 pm. She should be done with her last SAT paper slightly more than 2 hours ago.

I checked my inbox, who knows I've open it but forgot to read it, but there was no message from Eun Hye. I'm starting to get really worried for her. It's been a few weeks since I last met her since she said she wanted to study for her SATs. I'm not going to lie and say that I don't miss her, I really do. For the past few weeks, th amount of replies I get from her is decreasing, and the sentenes seems to be short and precise. I sense that something is wrong with Eun Hye. I'm not sure what, but I just know there is.

Eunnie-ah, what happen? Did you receive my text?

I texted her once again, making sure this time oound that the message really did get send. I tried to bring my attention back to my lecture, but the more I tried, the more I check my phone to make sure that I didn't missed Eun Hye's texts or who knows, calls.

"Yah, Seob. Concentrate will you? This topic is important for our end of year exams. Stop checking your phone!" , Gikwang who was sitting next to me started to scold me in a hush voice.

I just nodded my head and kept my phone away, putting it in my bag, where I will not be tempted to check it every few minutes. I went back to the slides on the screen and focus on what the lecturer was droning on about.

Taking down the important points that are missing in the lecture notes, I didn't realise the time that passed by. Unknowingly, it was already 4.30. End of class, and school for me.

"Seob, you want to join me and Hyunseung hyung for lunch? I'm meeting him after this." Kikwang asked me while I packed my bag.

I gave it a thought for awhile since I've not met Hyunseung hyung for quite some time, but I remembered what I need to do after school, so I just shook my head with a small smile.

The both of us walked out of the class together towards the school common ground. As soon as we reach the carpark, I bade goodbye to Kikwang as he waited at the roadside for Hyunseung hyung. I walked towards my car while fishing out my carkeys from my bagpack.

Unlocking the door, I quickly step inside and start the ignition before driving off towards the main road, not forgetting to wave goodbye to Kikwang one last time. I noticed his mouth moving, saying or most probably shouting at me, but I didn't quite hear him since the music in my car was kinda loud.

Not caring what he just said, I drove off heading to my destination. If it is that important then I bet he will give me a call sooner or later.

I drove around for 10 minutes or so before stopping by a small roadside stall to get something before continuing my journey.

After 20 minutes of journey, I've reached my destination. Parking my car at the front space of the house, I switch off the ignition and get out of the car. I walked towards the front door with one plastic bag fill with some ddukbokki and kimbap that I bought awhile ago.

I pressed the doorbell once befre aiting for someone to open the door.

"IMO!" I shouted when I saw who open the door.

"Ah, Seob. Its been a long time since I last saw you!Come in come in.." the woman who greeted me at the door welcome me in.

I passed her the plastic bag filled with food, which she politely said I shouldn't have brought. I just smiled and said it was an honour to buy something for her whole family.

"Ah, Imo, is Eun Hye home?" I asked her as she place a cup of drink in front of me.

Yes, I came to Eun Hye's house. I just feel that I should come since she have not been replying my texts and picking up my calls. The uneasy feeling in me is still although I'm right here in her house.

"Eun Hye? Ah, jankamanyo. I'll call for her upstairs. EUNNIE-YAH!" Mrs Bang told me, and called out for Eun Hye while climbing the stairs up the Eun Hye's room.

I patiently wait for Eun Hye and her mother to come down. While waiting, I check my phone for any unread text messages, and that's when I noticed Kikwang's text for me. I open it and read the text. I frown upon reading the words that Kikwang send me.

Did you upset Eun Hye somehow?

That's what he texted me. Upset Eun Hye? As far as I can remember, I've never upset her. I make a self-reminder to myself to ask her about it.

Just then, I heard some footsteps coming down the stairs. I turned around and I saw Eun Hye coming down with her mother. I quickly stand up and ran towards Eun Hye. I hugged her tight, expressing how much I missed her. However Eun Hye's body stiffens up when I did that. I let go of the hug and looked at her weirdly.

"Eh Seob, why are you here?" Eun Hye said, trying to break the awkward situation.

"Ah, the both of you go and chat. I'm going upstairs to do a bit of work." Mrs Bang told us, leaving just the both of us alone.

"Want to go out with me? I fel like watching that new movie in the theatres! Please Eunnie!" I pleaded Eun hye to follow me out.

One, I really want to watch the movie. Two, that's just an excuse to spend some time with her.

"Uhm... Ah fine fine. Wait here, I go change." Eun Hye agreed to my suggestion after a slight hesitation.

Sitting in the living room, chatting with Mrs Bang that came out of the kitchen to keep me company while Eun Hye went to change. After 10 minutes of so, Eun Hye came down all ready.

In her dark blue denim jeans and faded graphic tee tucked in loosely plus her oversize varsity jacket to keep her warm, I have to admit that Eun Hye always look good. We were about to go out of the house when Mrs Bang came squealing over at us.

" Aigooo! Look at the both of you, looking like a couple! Your outfit are matching with each other!" She squeal while giving Eun Hye a quick hug.

The both of us looked at each other outfit before looking away.

Mrs Bang was right. Our outfits almost match. I was using my dark denim jeans with a graphic tee loosely tucked in with a varsity jacket. The only difference is the colour of our jacket, the design on our t-shirt plus the fact that Eun Hye had her scarf around her neck to keep her warm.

"Ah, you're saying nonsense Omma. Seob, kaja!" Eun Hye told her mum before dragging me out.

We quickly get in my car, buckling our seatbelts before I start up my car engine.

The ride towards the cinema was quiet, but it was a comfortable silence, not the awkward silence. The only sound that could be heard was from the radio and sometimes hummings from either one of us if the song that was playing was something that we like.

Upon reahing the cinema, the both of us quietly make our way towards the line to buy the tickets.

"Uhm, two tickets for The Apparition at 5.45 please" I told the person at the counter.

After buying the tickets, we buy popcorns and drinks for the movies before proceeding towards the specific hall that was showing the movie we're going to watch.

 

Eun Hye P.O.V

Holding the popcorn box right in front of my face, I blocked the view of the screen. Aish, why did Seob chose this movies out of all the movies. He knows that I can't watch horror or thriller movies.

I could hear Seob chuckling slightly when he saw the state I was at. I just give him a glare and he was back to watching the movie.

It's funny how once the movie starts, the previously awkward silence between us turns back normal. Yoseob will tease me once in awhile and I will just hit him back at times.

It's just like old times except for the fact that my heart starts to beat faster when he calls out my pet names or simply just touch my head. Just those normal actions make my heart beat faster.

I guess the saying is true, Absence does make the heart grow fonder.

I thought by staying away from Yoseob for awhile, these feelings will fade away. But the more I avoid him, the more I yearn for him.

I shake away all these thoughts from my head and try to watch the movie back.

Boy, was I wrong. I chose the wrong timing to lower down the popcorn box. There, right there on the screen, the ghost had appeared.

Screaming along with some others in the theatres, I used my left hand to hug Seob's right hand while hiding my face behind the box, leaing against his chest. I was too afraid to look up for the rest of the movi, knowing that I will just scream at random moments or just by the slight view of something suspicious during the movie.

I don't know for how long I laid against Seob's chest, but it was comfortable and somehow or somewhat, I fell asleep.

Seob woke me up and I noticed that the movie has ended and they were rolling in the credits on the big screen. I look up at Seob who was smiling at me, and I just hit him lightly on the chest knowing that he was actually laughing at me.

The both of us walked out of the theatres while laughing here and there.

It really feels normal between us.

Yoseob brought me to a nearby ramen shop, knowing that I was hungry after I complained to him how my stomach was grumbling. We manage to grab a table for two at the corner of the shop, ordering our food from the ahjumma that was going around taking orders.

"Ahjumma, the bill please!" Seob called out as he raise his hand up to all for the ahjumma attention.

She come towards us upon hearing Seob calling and calculate the total cost of our meal.

I was about to pay for my part of the meal when Seob stop me.

"Yah, you don't have to pay. It's my treat"

"But I feel bad! Seob let me pay my share of the meal please!"

"Aniyo. This is my treat for the most hardworking girl for completing her SATs today.."

Ah jincha Seob... Please let me pay a bit!"

"Fine, fine.. You can treat me to ice-cream afterwards." Seob gave in at last, knowing that this argument would go nowhere.

The next few words that was interrupted by the ahjumma make my heart beat faster again.

"Aigoo, kyeopta. Such a cute couple!"

"Ah, uhm, aniyo ahjumma. We're just friend. haha!" Seob stammered a bit, shocked from the ahjumma sudden statement.

We quickly exit the shop after paying our bill, not forgetting to greet the ahjumma and thank her for the meals before leaving.

The awkward silence that was long gone after stepping in the cinema was now back here again. Thanks ahjumma. Now we both feel uncomfortable.

But this time round, the silence was break upon seeing an ice-cream shop near the Ramen shop. I quickly pulled Seob in, wanting to have some desserts after our heavy meal. 

Even in the cold weather, my love for cold and sweet treats will never change. I quickly order for the coffee oreo flavour ice-cream with waffle while Seob ordered his favourite chocmint on cone. This time round, I paid for the treats, without us squabbling about it.

We walk around, passing by shops, looking out the window, just enjoying the day.

"Eun Hye! Seob!" a voice from behind called out, and behind us was someone that I didn't expect to meet.

 

OMG. I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. AFF DELETED THIS CHAPTER THAT I WROTE PREVIOUSLY. *CRIED ONE CORNER* BUT WHATEVER. HERE I AM AGAIN! WOOHOO! OKAY, THIS CHAPTER IS LAME. I KNOW. DO FEEDBACK ME ALRIGHT! LOVE YOU GUYS! AND OH YEAH! SELAMAT HARI RAYA FOR ALL MY MUSLIM FOLLOWERS! HEH, CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT MY RELATIVES IN A FEW HOURS TIME!(ACTUALLY I'M SUPPOSED TO BE SLEEPING NOW BUT I'M TOO EXCITED TO SLEEP, SO HERE I AM. HEEEH)